Have remembered why I don't like rainbow thread

Before my laser decided to pack in I luckily finished my small panto sample of the Poppies pantograph.

About one row in I remembered why I don't like Rainbows that much after the thread kept breaking.... I had to loosen the top tension to looser than I would like to avoid it breaking, then had these loopy knots forming on the back. They are easy to fix, but a pain....

post--13492895120441_thumb.jpg

Hi Janette,

I was having the same issue but when I was using SoFine. Talked to APQS and they had me check my thread guides for burs or wear. Low and behold my thread guide right above the needle was worn.

Long story short - check all of the thread guides by running thread around the hole checking for catching. It just might be one of those and not the thread. BTW - I love Rainbow!

Your quilt and quilting is very cute.

Good luck.

Use Sewer's Aid on the thread. You will need to apply it several times throughout the quilt. Slow down, loosen your bobbin tension a bit so you can loosen your top tension a bit. Weave the thread as Lyn suggested, or even just put the thread through one hole. Use a larger needle. Slow down! Mist the quilt surface lightly with water to reduce static. And, did I mention you have to slow down???? I purchased some silicone thread lube that is very watery, dumped my whole cone of thread in it and let it sit awhile. Drained it overnight. It worked like a charm. It changed the appearance of the thread for awhile (took forever to dry). Eventually it returned to the original color. Some days Rainbows is happy, some days it isn't.

Cotton or mostly cotton batting causes more problems with Rainbows than poly batting. It is a somewhat touchy thread, but the results are very pretty. If you want the look with fewer problems, try Lava...or the Glide variegated threads.

I don't do SLOW !!!! LOL.... I tried but it didn't help so sped up again to my normal speed - glide is much better for me...... but it is what you get used to. Next time I will try your suggestions.

I won't be buying lots of rainbow threads, just using up the odd cone that I have. Although I am going to try out the so fine variegated and see how that feels.

I have trouble with King Tutt, Rainbows and last night I had a problem with SoFine 40 weight variegated thread. The cone was brand new, removed the wrapper yesterday. It would constantly break in one color section. Urggh! I finished the 1 block I was using it in and set it aside to play with after this quilt is finished. I guess it could be a bad cone, but it was brand, spankin' new. I was running regular 50 weight So Fine in the bobbin and QD Dream Green batting.

I use rainbows a lot! Even for thread painting at high speed. I make sure my bobbin is a little on the loose side to compensate for running the thread on a light tension. I don't get the loops like in your pics which looks like the top tension is too loose. I'm sure if you tighten it, then you get the breakage. Takes a little playing with the tension, but it works well for me.

I don't slow down for anything! I always quilt 90 miles an hour with my hair on fire. I don't know why, it's just my normal speed. So I definately know what you mean!:P

I used to be able to run Rainbows, but can't seem to do it in the last 6 months or so. I can't figure that out. I have lots of Rainbow, so I need to practice on my muslin sandwich and figure it out. Sometimes I just don't want to be bothered with the hastle. I used to run Tut, too, but that doesn't work so well anymore, either.

I generally use SoFine and Glide and sometimes Metro.

For whatever reason, My Milli loves Rainbow. I do have to really loosen up the tension, but I have never gotten those loops on the back. So Fine variegated is another story however. I got those loopy knots on the back. The wonderful people at Superior threads replaced the cone with a new one to try. I have not used that one, however, another color of variegated So Fine did the same thing. I used some Sewers Aid with this one and it worked much better. I am not convinced that I will purchase the Variegated So Fine again. I really am not fond of the larger thread size on this one either. I really love the regular So Fine. I use that almost exclusively.

Archived