phx515

Pull down design wall

Me and my wild imagination is wondering if anyone has tried making a design wall on a pull down, wall mounted, projector screen?? I wonder if flannel or light weight cotton batting glued to the screen would work and still be able to roll up properly....hmmmmm

I haven't but it sounds do-able. I considered using a rolling shade but it was too light. You're idea will probably work great. Post a pic if you make one!

Barb Iliff

Freedom SR

Winding Ways Quilting

"When your life falls to pieces make a quilt!!"

Fabric glued to the screen might work but the added layer of fabric building up on the roller part as it rolls might make it too big to fit into the storage compartment where the pulled-up screen normally hides. Did that make sense?

You can make a roll-up design wall by purchasing a cheap outdoor roll-up blind at the home improvement store and lining it with flannel. Attach to the ceiling or high on the wall. The cords will need to run down the front but your fabric will still hold nicely. If I was making one I would use cotton batting. Pull the cord to roll up and if you pin on your blocks you can roll them up in the blind if you want.

Linda Rech

Finely Finished Quilts

Millennium on Bliss rails--hand-guided

http://www.topperquilttools.com

I wanted to make one and several times took DH to the home improvement stores to look at the things we would need to do it. I wanted it to look nice like the Vanishing Design Wall that I had seen several times at quilt shows and we decided it would be easier to buy the Vanishing Design wall. It was delivered quickly and I am very happy with it. The material is similar to heavy flannel backed tablecloth. Here's a link to the web site and a picture of mine.

http://www.vanishingdesignwall.com/index.html

post--13492895150411_thumb.jpg

EF895DFA46EABF5DCB57E11F31E1DE91.png

Carmen in the Ozarks

Thanks to everyone for your replies and ideas. Carmen your quilt blocks are just lovely! I looked at that Vanishing design wall and I want something wider than they offer. I think I will try to contact someone at the manufacturer and talk to them about how to re- purpose a used screen. I know that they tape the screen onto the roller but like was mentioned I don't know what kind of room is in the case....maybe the roller can be removed and put in a larger custom made housing hmmmmm.......I'll get back if you all are interested:D

If you google "how to make a roller shade" there are a couple places that sell the stuff to do it. It includes the end brackets, the clutch mechanism and pole in different lengths. I like the Vanishing Design wall concept, but wanted a wider one, too. I haven't decided whether to try to make one. I don't know if there is a source for the actual fabric or not.

BDB923036A9F827EF84ACA918FB6F02D.png

Lisa and all,

I saw those design a way pull downs and was impressed with them too. If I could afford it I would probably go with that.... BUT....

I can get a used screen for almost nothing and I already have the flannel/batting and imagination/mechanical ability to repurpose an old screen into something useful and COOL that would otherwise end up in a dump somewhere. The reason I thought a screen would work was that the roller would be more heavy duty than a window shade and be able to support the weight of a quilt....I dunno maybe I'm over thinking it...I'm prone to that :P

Just a thought.......I would think a very lightweight fabric would work, I think I would want to attach it to the screen with spray addhesive to test the roll up part of it to be sure it would work. If not your fabric isn't ruined.

Roberta Ready

Leavenworth, KS

milli-hand-guided

readyquilt@gmail.com

As I tend to rethink these ideas also.... why could you not pull the screen out as far as possible, and cut off the handle part with 6 to 8 inches of the screen still attached. Then, cut the screen away from the main part (while still extended out) leaving 6 to 8 inches once again. Now you sew in your flannel or cotton batting in place of what you have removed. You will need another set of hands to help maneuver the screen frame while you stitch it all back together, but if you have the determination you can do it.

A865FFE96B99D13D2E3C09AF2B8376EA.png
2009 Freedom, and a 1989 Ulti I w/Intellistitch

So I was cruising about on ebay and found this little item

which I thought would make an excellent candidate for a small portable design wall....I know most of you are probably rolling your eyes and thinking "tape some flannel on a wall already":P

I dunno it kinda looks kinda funky steampunk-ish and I like it

(Ebay item 251147936721)

We purchased a school projection screen off of the surplus site to try to create a design wall.  My plan is to use fusible fleece to attach to the screen. The fleece is thin; has some stickability to it and hopefully will roll up.  We are looking at a $20-25  cost (screen was $5) and will let you know.  

I tried the link for the vanishing design wall and wasn't able to find it.  All I got were lists of shops selling all kinds of unrelated items.  Any other link?  I'd love to take a look at it.  I'm recently in the process of a whole house remodel and just now putting stuff back together, so if I could incorporate a vanishing design wall before I "finish" the sewing and quilting rooms, that'd be great.  : )

Lora.

Lora in California -  Ultimate I with IntelliStitch and IntelliQuilter.  The Thimble Bee http://www.thimblebee.com