My new George

Melaniebob

• 4 weeks later...

I've read all this with interest. When I first saw George advertised I was intrigued. I have a very limited amount of space and don't think I'll have room for a LA. And the expense to buy Millie! Out of my budget.

I've never actually seen George. I'd love to, but it seems the nearest dealer to me is in KC, MO. Someone mentioned pin basting, which is what I do when I quilt on my Bernina. Does George handle this well? And I'm wondering about SID? I know this is almost impossible to do free motion with my Bernina. (I use my walking foot for this part.) But so many quilts need it. Is there a way to do this with George?

• 2 weeks later...

It's fun reading all of the posts regarding George. I received my George yesterday (3/21). What a hunk of a machine! I think it was love at first sight!

I was wondering if any George owners would like to post pictures of quilts you have done and quilted on George? I just starting practicing and have many, many ideas in my head. I am having some problems with thread breaking. I am thinking that I need to figure out my speed. Practice, practice.

Lori

Hi Lori,

Congratulations on getting your new Geoge. He is fun to hang out with. You were right when you said practice, practice practice. Don't be afraid to adjust the tensoin a lot. I put a red dot of polish on the dial to help me remember wher I stated from. I also put together some practice pieces of crib size batting between mulin. there is a lot of information in the other forums. I always read the ones about threads.

Relax and have fun.

Melanie

[Hi Linda,

I dont have to baste all my quilts anymore, but there are some circumstances when it might be better to do so...how would you handle a queen size or better to spray baste? I tried it one time and almost basted myself in the quilt sandwich...:D I had the Sullivans spray,maybe change sprays?

Jody

quote]Originally posted by (name removed)

Hi Kathy~

Yes you need to baste, the best thing that I have found for basting is the fusible Hobbs 80/20.

Quick, clean & no sticky over spray.

Hi Melanie,

Yes, George arrived last week. Am having the same problems as Lori with thread breakage. Have found that you need to use a very STRONG thread. The Rainbow that came with the machine seems to works great. The KingTut that came with the machine breaks after one stitch. I have Marathon USA that I use for my embroidery machine that works fine. I understand that it has to do with the tension but I've tried and tried to adjust. I do like the look of a thicker thread in my quilting but it seems that the thin polyester ones work the best. At least right now 'til I'm more atune to the machine.

Finished a small 36x36 inch quilt. It's okay but I still need practice. Am now working on the 2006 Thimbleberries quilt. Mostly doing SID. I'm getting better at it.

As far as the paperwork that came with George, I think APQS could provide more infor as to what this knob is called and what it does, etc. Had problem with getting bobbin out since my other machines have drop ins.

Overall am pleased.

Emily

Hi Emily ~

I believe we are thinking alike. I wasn't overly impressed with the manual. The DVD spoke of the other APQS machines, but not of George. I do understand that the machine are quite similar, but there are some differences that each new owner could be informed of.

The Chicago quilt show is coming in April. I plan on writing my questions down and taking them with me to the show.

Just like you Emily, overall I am tickled and look forward to a long relationship with George!

Lori

Ladies - Welcome to the forum! I am glad you are playing and bonding with

your machines - they can be so much fun! Yes - I am spoiled and have a

Millie - and I still want more!! Next I want a Millie with the 14' table and the

whole CompuQuilter set-up...... someday.... until then - I play!! I do a bunch

of ruler work and was wondering the same thing about the George. Some

days it would be nice to sit, maybe I should get a sadle stool and try that.

There are lots of different tension settings for different threads. You will

eventually kind of get the "feel" for where you want to have it set.

Right now on the quilt I am doing, when I use the the thicker 40 wt. Poly

from A & E - my tension is set 2 full turns tighter then when I switch over to

the Bottom Line thread. Yes, there are no number on the tension dial - but

that little red dot sure helps! I also somtimes count the number of threads

on the tension thingy - or draw myself a little clock-like picture for different

threads in a certain quilt project.

Again - Welcome to the forum - have fun - and please post photos of your

work as you can! We all like to help and share ideas... such a great place to

be!:D

Hi Emily, Lori, all George enthusiasts,

I will be at the Chicago quilt show with George, so bring on your questions and concerns, and I'll try to answer.

As for the thicker thread that you're having trouble with, I use King Tut and even the new Caryl Brites (30 weight poly) in my George all the time. What are you using in your bobbin? I ALWAYS use Bottom Line, or another 60 wt bobbin thread, more or less matched to the top thread, whatever it is.

And, yes, you may have to fiddle with the tension, but King Tut shouldn't be breaking after a stitch or two. Try tightening your tension. Don't be afraid to crank it! Of course, you could have a "burry" needle, but then the Rainbows would break, too. Hmmmm. What size needles are you using? 3.5s?

I just love hearing about all you new George owners! I think posting quilt pictures is a great idea. If I knew how to post pictures, I'd do it! :P

Claudia Myers (George's mother)

Hi All,

I am so glad to hear from George owners.

As far as needle size, I really don't know. I am using the needle that came with the machine and since I have not quilted much, I am think it is okay.

As far as red dot on the tension knob, I have not found one..'

As far as bobbin thread, this also came with the machine.

Since I live in Florida, Chicago is a little out of my area. I would love to see someone knowledgeable using the machine. APQS did have a seminar in Florida last weekend but there was no George.

My other problems are: the quilt I am quilting at present is dark, lots of black

fabric. I notice a lot of white specs coming from the batting. Also the backing is bearding. Never had this happen before. I am using Warm and Natural batting. What do most of you use?

As I said before, I am quite satisfied and love using George and I am sure when I get a little more familiar, I'll really love it.

Any suggestions - love reading them and trying them. Thanks.

Emily

Hi Emily,

Don't give up on King Tut thread. You have to be willing to do major adjustments on the Tension knob. I put a red dot on mine with red nail polish. it helps me keep track of where I started from. Sometimes I have had to turn the know two complete rotations to adjust the tension.

I put together several practice quilts with crib size batting and muslin. they have really hepled me. I have spent time just turning the dial to get a better idea of what happens when the tension is adjusted.

I have used King Tut in several quilts. I just used Matserpiece in a quilt. I have also used Star qulting thread. with all of them I have used the Bottom Line thread for the bobbin.

Patience and practice.

and have fun. when it all works, it is a lot of fun.

Melanie

I am so sorry that George won't be at the Manchester show. I was hoping to see one first hand as I'm strongly considering one but just can't commit to something sight unseen and there are no dealers in the North East. DB

To all you "Georgies" on the forum - Sounds like you are all having fun playing with this great machine. Like with any other longarm, you do have to learn to adjust the tension without fear! On our domestic machines, we adjust with small increments, but with the longarm you can be a bit more assertive. I have been using all the great threads I can find with George, and so far without too many problems. I use Superior's So Fine and Bottom Line in the bobbin with So Fine, King Tut, Rainbows, Sulky Blendables (both 28 and 12 weights), etc. on the top. It's just a matter of playing with the tenson. I have a lot of practice pieces, it helps to begin each session with about 20 min of practice and tension adjustment before I touch the quilt du jour, and to try out a design before it goes into the quilt.

Claudia Clark Myers (see the post from George's Mom) has done the most beautiful quilts on this machine! Claudia - you must learn to post those pics so everyone can see your work. For that matter, I need to learn it, too - my quilt "Flagstone Path" was a finalist at the Mid Atlantic Quilt Festival in Hampton, VA, last month, and I'm getting another one ready to enter Houston (I hope)...

Joann

CottonWood Studios

Independence, MO

Originally posted by snowquilter

Hi Emily, Lori, all George enthusiasts,

I will be at the Chicago quilt show with George, so bring on your questions and concerns, and I'll try to answer.

As for the thicker thread that you're having trouble with, I use King Tut and even the new Caryl Brites (30 weight poly) in my George all the time. What are you using in your bobbin? I ALWAYS use Bottom Line, or another 60 wt bobbin thread, more or less matched to the top thread, whatever it is.

And, yes, you may have to fiddle with the tension, but King Tut shouldn't be breaking after a stitch or two. Try tightening your tension. Don't be afraid to crank it! Of course, you could have a "burry" needle, but then the Rainbows would break, too. Hmmmm. What size needles are you using? 3.5s?

I just love hearing about all you new George owners! I think posting quilt pictures is a great idea. If I knew how to post pictures, I'd do it! :P

Claudia Myers (George's mother)

Hi, Claudia! I'm sure you don't remember me, but I sure do remember you! ;) I met you at the Houston show last year, 2006. You were sitting there with your "son" George and you were quilting some real purty quilty stuff on him. He was behaving himself very nicely, as is to be expected (good mom that you are, LOL). I sat and watched & chatted with you while you "did your thang" it was fun. I even got to play with George a bit and he sure was a smooo-oo-oooth mover! He dances very well with any partner he's with...as long as you know how to lead, he follows! ;)I am so glad to know that your George is really taking off and standing on his own two feet (or should I say, standing on his own four legs...LOL!) Anyway, for the sake of all of us, you better learn how to post those photos of your quilts so all of us can see. :)

Claudia, I am sure you are thrilled to see that your idea to create the sit-down longarm machine "George" really came through and is gaining more popularity every day. Congrats to you for that, and for us, thanks for sticking through your idea to make it happen and a dream come true for you!

And, Joann, I just had to say CONGRATS on your recognition at the Mid Atlantic show. You go!! Best wishes to you with your submission to this year's Houston show. It's so cool to have so many great folks on this chat.

Take care and have a nice day.

Shana

Hi George's Mom and All Others,

I have about two more weeks to go to finish my quilt with George and I will try to post some pictures. Hope I can get the camera to work. And as I said before, I would love to go to Chicago to see you, but since I am in Florida and have some health issues, I am not able to go. Hopefully you'll be showing George in Florida soon.

Emily

Good luck, Emily. I hope we will see pics from you soon. I need to get myself in gear and post pics, too, but now is not the time. I hope to keep hearing from all you Georgies out there. We have a great machine, and I need to get back to work with him now if I'm going to finish the quilt du jour today.

Joann

Just to add my 2 cents to the mix....I have had MY George for a week now, and truthfully do not know what to do without him already. I love to free motion quilt and this is just up my alley. I just go into another world when I can quilt. But like many others, I am not used to cranking on the tensions. so am a bit uncomfortable with that. I bought mine sight unseen, other than the magazine or web site, and am happy with it.

So happy quilting to all of you.

After reading all these letters about George...I'm wondering

why I didn't wait a year to get him...I wish I'd been told that

he was in the works.

I have the Millie and like it..haven't got to hardly use it because of moving and health problems. But this house has

1/2 the space of the prev. studio and I am really CROWDED.

I'm wondering if sitting and pulling on a quilt will bother lower

back..anyone out there with major back problems that have

experience with Geo.

I get very discouraged at my proficiency on the machine, but

then realize that a person has to work at it and I just haven't

had the time to do that. It will be interesting to see how this

all progresses. I would think a stitch regulator would almost

be a necessity..so much better. I'm getting a new knee Tues.

then I can dance circles around Millie Rose and perhaps things will look up. ML in Mo.

Hi All,

Just want to post a warning. I've had George now for about three weeks and I've been quilting up a storm, day and night. But, I now have a problem. My hip started to hurt a little, then went into overdrive. I finally realized it was the way I was quilting. Since I wanted the stitches to be exact, well almost, I was leaning into the quilt and of course took no breaks, since I was having fun. Now I'm paying for it. I really have to give quilting a rest for a while. So, my warning is to take breaks when you quilt and not quilt all day and night.

Emily

Emily, I have been researching George for a while and am sold on the concept - soon maybe I will take the plunge, but I do quilt long hours on my DSM free motioning, and I think a really good chair is what saves me - I have had the hip thing from too long in front of my computer where I use a different chair, but for sewing I use a Freedom chair (without the head extension). It has a gel seat, and arms, but the arms drop completely out of the way unless I am sitting in the chair doing hand work and a simple motion brings them up again. My husband bought one also affer he borrowed mine once when I was out of town. Until this chair I think I had purchased 4 or 5 other chairs and would have saved money buying this first. I have had this one now for 5 years and still love it.

Archived