prayers please....

Your sister is going in for surgery or a biopsy? They would have done a biopsy first which would tell them if it was cancer or not. Having just gone through this (last week) I can say a few things. When the medical people find a lump or spot by feeling or seeing on a mammo they do another "diagnostic" mammo and an ultrasound. If they are still concerned they do a biopsy. The pathology report from the biopsy tells them whether or not it is cancerous. If not cancerous then off you go on your merry way. If it is cancer then off you go to surgery to have it removed along with a lymph gland to see if it has spread any. There are stages of cancer and amount of involvement. The stages I know of are 0-4. The lowest being the best scenario. They also have non-spreading and spreading types of cancer. The surgeries can range from removing a golf ball size area of the breast tissue and a lymph gland to removing the entire breast (or both) and many lymph glands. You don't always have to have Chemo just because you have breast cancer. You do usually need radiation.

Last Tuesday I had a partial mastectomy or what I called...a "lumpectomy". They removed the cancer with some good surrounding tissue and a lymp gland. I have a Dr. appointment on Monday to have my surgical site checked and to get the results of my path report from the lymp gland and to tell me that all the margins are clear. I'm expecting good news since my original diagnosis was Stage 0 and non-spreading. Because I have the non-spreading kind of cancer I will not have to have Chemo, but I will have 7 weeks of daily radiation.

None of it has been a piece of cake, but I've been so blessed. I found it early and it is treatable. My niece didn't find hers until it was a stage 4 and she fought a hard battle of multiple Chemo and radiation treatments for five years and still lost. I truly believe she got those extra years as a result of a multitude of prayer chains she had. There wasn't any other explanation. Prayer gave her more time to prepare her young daughter and to put her life in order. I have two friends who found theirs relatively early and both went through Chemo and radiation and are doing great and are cancer free. I expect to do well with mine.

The stress is immeasurable and processes one has to go through from the biopsy through the surgery is draining. I'm tired and I hurt. And I'm still looking at the 7 wks of radiation. My goal is one day at a time with Christmas as my ultimate goal. By then this should all be behind me and I can start the new year off fresh and healthy. I'm sorry this got so long-winded.

I pray for your sister that she gets good news.

Oma, Thank you for your response. I am sorry you are having to go through this too. I sounds as if my sis is in a similar place. Just having had the spot and surrounding tissue removed. We will get her pathology report back on Wednesday and are hoping for a similar outcome. Bless you as you continue your journey. You have a wonderful attitude and that can only help. Many prayers go your way as well. Please continue to keep us on the forum updated with your progress and pictures of your wonderful quilting as you are able. Stay strong!

Prayers coming your way that your sister is cancer free.

I also went through a Lumpectomy after the "magnification" mammo and ultrasound. My margins were not clear. Which means another operation. That is when they tested my lymphnodes, by removing 5 of them to be tested and they went back in and removed more at the lump sight to make sure the margins were clear. I went through 6 and half weeks of radiation and was on tomoxophin for 5 years. So far I have been cancer free.

I have been 11 years cancer free. Oma, I pray that you will be cancer free also and Mary the same for your sister.

Archived