Ulti 1 rattle noise

sharz

Hi all, I have found the forums very helpful thank you;)

My Ultimate 1 (I call her Nancy) is new to me but a 2002 model. I am about to order M & M wheels from America, I am in Australia.

I thought before I order I would try and find out if it was normal for the machine to make a kind of rattle sound on start up as if something is loose. I can t really explain it any other way. It is a sound I have heard similar before in a normal machine however seems exaggerated and I am not sure if I am just not used to the larger machines. It doesn't sound healthy to me but is sewing fine apart from a flat, dragging turning spot caused by a sick wheel hence why I am ordering the M & M's.

Should I order some bushes and possibly a couple of other items to be sent over with my M&M wheels to have on hand in case anything goes wrong. What does everyone else think?

Sharz

When you order the wheels ask Amy to send you the package she makes up for the maintenance class. It has things like pigtails assorted screws bobbin case and grease etc. That will cover most of the normal stuff. Your Ultimate 1 may have the old style all metal hook. The baskets on the newer ones are teflon or some kind of composite and they are a little quieter. Put a drop of oil on the hook race and see if your rattle goes away. My U1 with the all metal hook will start to rattle again after about 15 minutes of sewing but I only oil the hook once a day. Our Millie can go a couple of days before it would rattle if we forgot to oil it.

Sharz,

Order yourself some grease, motor brushes, tension spring, pigtails, bobbin case, maybe even more bobbins along with the wheels. Did you get a manual with the machine. IF not APQS may still have some available. Hopefully the previous owner looked after her well.

I am starting to stock bobbin cases, bobbins and needles - so these can be ordered through me if required.

Thanks everyone for all the advice, it does make sense as I am ordering any ways. This is such a helpful site.

I actually remember now the previous owner telling me about oiling the hook which I haven't yet :( Thanks for reminding me. I will let you know if it fixes the noise (makes sense)

Lyn I will be in touch at some stage for a chat.

I am missing the AMQF festival this month so I booked myself into a Kaleidoscope quilt class on Saturday, cant wait they look awesome.

Thanks everyone :)

Archived