want to learn what to do first

I have had my machine for almost a year now so I will tell you how I handled getting started.......................I assume you are planning to do this as a business and not just for your own use?

In any case I would get some very basic thread colors to begin. I use alot of Signature 100% cotton. I suggest an offwhite (I have white and offwhite and have only used the white on one quilt and have already started my second cone of 6000 yards of offwhite), black, mother goose (this is a wonderful blender thread in the med brown range, red, and blue. These are only suggestions as I now have many more colors. I order fron Crannberry Quiltworks and they usually have the tread in my mailbox in about 3 days. When I order I alway buy 5 cones as that is the cheapest for shipping so each order I add to my color selection.

As for pantographs I cannot really help much there...............mabye see what the two most popular are and get those. I have a few and am actually beginning to design my own.

Over the past year I have aquired a few guides as I needed them. I got the complete set of Tri Arc tools (you can find those on a google). I just got a small swag tool and have not tried it yet. I have some guides for straight lines.

I have two kinds of batting for sale by the roll under the machine and just ordered my second roll of one of them.

I think the best thing is to be conservative in the beginning and you will know what you will need to get.

Check out this website if you want ideas for order patterns:

http://www.aquiltersstudio.com/Patterns-PANTO-ROLLS.htm

When I started, I was quilting just to clean up my quilt tops and to finish a bazillion quilts for charity. It was totally started as therapy for me. No kids, a husband that worked away from home most of the time, high pressure job, isolated from family, yada yada yada. Heck... it's turned into a passion.

Sorry, I digress..... you want to know the best way to start. I agree with sewingupastorm. Start small. Start slow. I would practice, practice, practice (ppp) my control on the machine.

The first rulers I would get would be something to control my straight lines and to help with any stitch in the ditch work (SID).

http://columbiariverquilting.com/sewclear_straight_ruler_set.html

Basic color threads: off white and cream are the colors I used for the longest time. Looked good with just about anything I did. When you get more involved, check out Superior Threads.

http://www.superiorthreads.com

Sign up for Bob's newsletter. He's a hoot and they are awesome. I love their Bottom Line and So Fine! threads. Their customer service is great.

There are a few books I'd recommend but to start, I'd get the Ultimate Guide to Longarm Quilting.

Read as much as you can on maintaining your machine. Watch your DVD on the machine and really understand what they are talking about. Don't just give it a cursory glance. There's some important information in it.

I would create a "stitch guide" for my machine. I created fabric pages of muslin with different stitch settings, needle notes and thread types. Then I put them in sheet protectors. Write notes as to what you did to adjust and get the best tension. You'll be glad you did later when you're pondering why your stitches are not quite what you're looking for.

There's a multitude of information on this site. I'm sure there's always going to be someone that has run into whatever hurdle you encounter or question you might come up with. Ask... and most important -- have fun with it.

Best of luck and welcome!

Archived