Red Snappers

Do you have a computerized machine? only asking because you must be careful when you roll the quilt that the "snappers" aren't on the bottom. That makes it tighter and an obstruction can be noted. The take up roller doesn't look round, because of the thickness of the "snappers"

They are AWSOME, other than that, At first they are quite stiff and you wonder why you spent the $, then after watching the video and how she "bends them" to first put them on, it all starts to makes sense and they work wonderfully.

Good hint to cut them into 12" sections.

Good luck, Marion in BC

I love my Red Snappers too; but I do make my backing just a little bit longer top to bottom so I can advance them behind the take up bar at the top; otherwise the bobbin winder on my millie backs into them and gets caught so I bobble. I don't quilt for others so I have the luxury of making my quilt backings any size I want. I had zippers on before and I left them on and added a leader to them for the snappers so I still can use zippers if I have a quilt that I would want to do in different time intervals and could zip on and zip off. Best of both worlds! I HATED PINNING! Love the Red Snappers!

I bought them, but sold them before putting them on my machine. I realized that, since I generally do very large quilts, that the bulge created by the rod and cover would eventually limit my quilting space even more as I rolled the quilt. I have a Liberty, which is a smaller machine, and I didn't want to give up any more room. I use the Quick Zip system, and I absolutely love those too.

I use them on my Liberty and my Millennium (but not the red snapper brand). I do still pin with zippers on my custom quilts. I do find that the backing is just not as smooth for the custom jobs as I need it to be for the 'unquilted' areas on the first pass. I think it's the bulk caused by the rods/clips. Not a big deal at all, I just prefer to pin the top of the backing on the custom jobs. Been using them for over 2 years - wouldn't be without them. Quick and Easy.

I too liked the Red E Edge clamps, but no longer use them as one in the first pair split. I bought a second pair and now only have 1 out of 4 clamps that is not split. And hence doesn't grip the fabric.

Just went back to my prevous self made system.

However the Red Snappers I wouldn't do without.

What's the easiest way to make a casing on the leaders?? I have had red snappers since they came out but didn't like how they work with my Gammill table. I am thinking they will be much better with the Millie but I'm not sure the easiest road to making casings. Any thoughts??

Tracey

I love my red snappers and run an IQ on both my Millenium machines. My new quilting machine has never even seen a pin, I put the sleeve for the Red Snappers onto it before I even loaded the first quilt. You kinda just get used to where the snappers have to be positioned so that the machine doesn't run into them. Before snappers I had zippers that I installed on quilt backs with an old old Wilcox and Gibbs chain stitch machine. That worked great also but the snappers are much much faster. I use mine full length as I don't find that they are at all awkward to use. Hope that helps!

Cher

Archived