hopping foot height: can't figure it out

Hi, quilt pundits! I am confused about hopping foot height. I want to use quilters dream puff (1/2 inch high no compression and thinner than Warm and Natural if compressed). I have a quilt with lots of fullness in places. If I lift up the hopping foot to just skim over the quilt top so it won't push around a bubble, won't the hopping foot be too high to really squash down the sandwich and make a good locked stitch??

I mean isn't the up/down movement a fixed amount and when you adjust UP the highest height the hopping foot will go, then when it goes all the down, the foot doesn't reach the plate by the same amount the foot was raised? How will it squash the sandwich enough?

I can't seem to get through with the 800# at APQS.

Thanks for your thoughts. You all always have such good ones!

Carol

OK, I reached Amy at APQS. Idiot me, I didn't use the "1" in the 800 number.

If anyone is interested in Amy's answer here is what she said:

The actual distance the hopping foot goes in one top to bottom stroke can never change. So if you lift the hopping foot higher at its highest height, when it comes down to the lowest point it won't compress the sandwich as much. If you have to raise the hopping foot do it so that 2 business cards would fit. Raising it any higher will cause "directional tension problems".

I guess I will just have to go slow and maybe pin the fullness in place? What do you all do?

Hi Carol, I don't have an answer for your question (I don't even have an APQS!) but I am curious as to what others do with different batting thicknesses in regards to their hopping foot.

I've never raised or lowered my hopping foot and I use W&N, Fairfield cotton, Quilter's Dream Puff, and two layers of batting without any troubles with the hopping foot shifting the fabrics and/or causing a bubble yet.

I will soon be quilting a quilt with Minkee pieced into the top and a full Minkee backing (my first grandbaby's quilt!) and have wondered if I would need to change the hopping foot height to accommodate for the two layers of Minkee and QD Puff batting. I'm curious to see what others have to offer you in advice!

Archived