I've hit a design wall....

I have this gorgeous Labyrinth quilt to do for a customer. It is going in a show and I promised her something spectacular. I'm thinking some sparkly thread, cool motifs. In the spirit of Lisa Calle's Divide and Design. I have a few different sketches but none of it is doing anything for me. Any ideas?? This is all jewel tones. The colours don't show quite right in the shot.

post--13492895215348_thumb.jpg

How about a cable and feathers on each side of the cable or they can twist together. Maybe one border could have crosshatching with a design within it like Myrna does. Where is Heidi? Oh she is getting ready for the wedding. Okay Shannon please share some ideas here!

Lovely colors and lovely spaces to fill.

First decision would be modern or traditional?

Traditional--Dell's feather and cable is a great treatment. Formal feathers 100% would be good--giving an Amish feel to the Amish piecing and almost-solid colors.

Modern? So many directions you can take. Line work and circles, full-on marking of motifs with echoes and backfill (ala Lisa Calle as you mentioned), divide into spaces and quilt each one--unlimited possibilities when you nail down the style.

I would probably have my library of Dover books out looking for motif ideas to place along the piecing and then add fills and curved-crosshatched arches.

Yup Dell busy with wedding but I had a few min. this morning and just needed to chill my brain a little. LOL Here are some various ideas. I personally would do some more funky feathers to keep the modern theme and then add in straight line work. I would fill the background with some dense fills and maybe use a black irridescent type of thread but I wouldn't use a varigated thread that would IMHO compete with the quilt design. Sorry the drawing is so bad but it is the best I can do at the moment. I think you can add even more texture by filling in the negative space in some of the echo fill areas.

post--13492895216293_thumb.jpg

Google Labyrith quilt and you'll get lots of ideas. Reading the title of your post, I envisioned you plowing head-long into a design wall on your bicycle or something! ;):D

I just finished my 4th one of this pattern for customers. On the custom ones I did triangle feathers in the larger borders and a fern w/spine for the smallest border. I used IQ but I think you could still divide your borders and do triangles free hand if you wanted. In the center I did a point to point design w/Jessica Schick's designs. If you get on some websites for digital you can get some design ideas looking at their patterns (digitechdesigns.com, intelligentquilting.com, sweetdreamsquiltingdesigsns etc.) Good luck- it took me forever to finish them. Glad the last one ws a pant!!!

Archived