guide from fishing rod??

You use them as thread guides so that you don't have to keep buying new pigtail guides. You can't wear a groove in these babies. I think I have a picture of my machine with two on - I added another.

post--13492895221292_thumb.jpg

I soldered my fishing line guides to some washers, so I could just put the screw through them and attach them to the machine. As far as threading, there's no problem, as when I change threads, I do it at the back of the machine. I break the previous thread, tie the next one to it, and then go to the front of the machine and just pull the thread through. All threaded with very little effort!

Oh - BTW - I've had those guides on my machine for about six years and have not had to replace them -- they rock!

Got my fishing guides yesterday. Will get them on soon. Mine look a little different but are graphite coated. The guy said they don't do ceramic anymore they do graphite so that's what I got. Talk about a fish out of water!!! There I am wandering around a hunting/fishing store. LOL Out of place much/;)

• 1 year later...

Dave

I think the idea was too replace the factory style pigtails with the ceramic fishing rod eyes.  Apparently the ceramic won't get the groove worn into them.  Some others suggest adding more guides (I wouldn't) to control the flopping around of the thread,  Remember every time the thread touches a guide you have added friction and that has increased the tension and will cause you grief if you use delicate threads.

Nigel

When I put my fishing guides on George I didn't remove or change the pigtail guides.  I have a couple in the thread path between the spool holder at the back and one on each side of the take up arm action.  I don't think they have caused a tension issue as much as they have helped to control the thread in where it can get caught with looping and flying around.  Before the guides the thread from the spool holder down to the tension disk would get pretty saggy/baggy with big loose thread drops when the needle stopped.

Archived