Crosshatching

Can anyone give me any pointers on how to cross hatch an entire quilt. There is lots of applique and embroidery..Do you us a straight ruler and work blocks the width of your quilting space???? use a triangle and just zigzag the top by rows???? I see them done and they are beautifull, but can't find any instructions anywhere on how to do it! Any help would be appreciated, Thanks!

I did one, and hated every minute of it. I bought Linda Rech's rulers and they worked quilte well. I loaded the quilt sideways, so I could cover the largest area without having to roll the quilt. I found it nearly impossible to do without marking the quilt first. I didn't mark before I loaded it, which would probably have been the way to go. However, if yours is a customer quilt, it might be best to mark as you go with an air erase pen or a white chalk pencil. I prefer to use very fine thread, like Bottom Line so you can travel along the applique edge without thread buildup. I don't have a triangle ruler, but that would help. Yes, lots of people zig-zag across the row. I prefer to work in a smaller area. I don't know of any foolproof easy way to do it. Maybe Linda Rech will chime in with some really helpful hints.

I am looking forward to tips as well. I just finished a small quilt with 7 inch blocks and sashings. I cross hatched the blocks with dawn cavanaughs awesome ruler but it took forever. But the ruler was fabulous to use. I was going to use my circle lord but couldn't find my push button system. It never pays for me to organize as I always misplace important items!

I crosshatched two entire Queen Sized quilts last year that had been hand embroidered, they are both in the Circle Lord 2012 Quilt show album. I used the CL crosshatch boards with the push button system. I am a relatively new quilter and both quilts turned out beautifully. The tools are practically foolproof if you think out each step and follow the directions with the boards/templates. I don't think I would attempt to crosshatch using just rulers;it is a big job and you must make sure all the lines match up properly or you will have a mess. Good luck, I highly recommend you speak to Michael at Circle Lord regarding the CL Crosshatch system.:D

I do seem to do ALOT of these with appliques, my advice is to use Linda Rech's rulers and I outline and SID all the way through the quilt and then because I like to keep my ruler in front of the hopping foot, I start at the bottom and work my way back up. I marked the rulers with 3/4" lines in permanent marker that makes a 1" grid (remember the hopping foot has 1/4" between it and the needle). That way I never have to mark the grids on a quilt. I have found that when I start at the top, I usually end up off somehow and then have to mark.

I remember my first quilt as a newbie was a twin entirely crosshatch. Didn't know this first thing of how to do it. I chalked some and used painters tape and a ruler for the entire thing. After that I ordered the Cirle Lord with push button and have never regretted it especially since this lady has brought me at least 5 more to be xhatched. It's so much easier with the boards I think.

If you have a CL rear stylus, the Pushbutton system can be added. It is a solenoid which attaches to the rear stylus with a set of wires that you attach and mount to your front handles. The "Pushbutton" is operated from the front, and "lifts" the stylus in the rear. It easily allows you to stitch from the front with the large crosshatch boards, stitch right up to the area you want to stop (like around applique, or a border) and "lift" the stylus, drag your thread around to the next line then start stitching again.

Here's the link:

http://pbtwocrosshatchtemps.blogspot.com/

• 2 weeks later...

I also have a set of Linda Rech's Xhatch rulers and they work great! I used some of that colored "tape" to mark 3/4" from each edge so that I can do 1" spacing. I have used them several times on small projects, plus for the queen-sized plus batik applique quilt that I finished just before Xmas last year, I did all the xhatching with Linda's rulers. If I want to change the width of my xhatch, the tape is repositionable so very easy to do. I think they are a great value and very easy to use. Wouldn't want to crosshatch with out them! The only way that I think they might be improved upon is if Dennis would etch 1/4" markings in them. ;):)

Archived