QZ and CL How to quilt far left border?

Hi, QZ and CL owners,

Since all the video/photos show set up of the CL/QZ attached to the L side of the machine (facing front) how does one use the CL/QZ to quilt the far left border / area with a 12 foot table doing a king size quilt??? I have a Milli and a 12 foot table.

It seems to me that you wouldn't have enough room for the QZ or the CL. Do you have to reattach the QZ/CL every time you want to do the left side? Or Do you have to rotate the quilt to do the left side? Or maybe you can't do that big a quilt with a 12 foot table? I couldn't buy a 14 foot table. It would n't have fir in my house! But to buy all the different size circle templates costs more than half of a CL/QZ. I have been dancing around the idea of getting one or the other QZ or CL.

If the quilt is very large, you may not be able to use the QZ to do the borders. I have a 12 foot table also. I load as far to the right on the frame as possible. I generally turn the quilt to do the side borders because for me, it takes less time than messing with rolling the quilt back and forth or starting and stopping the design unless its something really simple like piano keys. I have had very few quilts where it wouldn't work out. You could also do the entire right border, take the quilt off and trim it a half inch past the border, and re-mount it on the frame way to the right. That would probably give you enough room to do the left border. If that won't work, I'd choose a different border treatment. There are far more quilts where it will work than where it won't.

Yes, you do have to move the QZ around to get to opposite borders. You leave the bracket attached to the machine, and the arm attached to the bracket. The only thing you move is the unit itself...takes seconds.

Ahh, yes, I know exactly what you are talking about. I have an 11 foot frame, so I ran into this numerous times.

I originally bought a CL before Michael made the "up front" system. Then when he came out with the up front, I spoke to him about converting my back side system to use on the front. I seem to remember that people with Millies and Freedoms didn't have a problem moving theirs from the front to the back and vice versa because the space was the same. Because I have a Liberty, I had a different situation. Michael made a converter for me using some new parts and some of my original parts.

What I do when I don't have room up front is to reconfigure my system and put it on the back for the few blocks I need to do. It does require me to go around the frame to line it up on the front and then go to the back to stitch.

I hope this makes sense. It is a bit of a PITA, but it does work for me, so I don't hesitate to do it this way.

I had an 11 ft. table and understand the limitations when you have a large quilt and want to use the Circle Lord for the quilting. You can still mount the Circle Lord on the back side of the table, on the panto shelf. There is a shorter arm that can be put on the CL which helps save some space when you work from the front. Take a look at the Circle Lord web site and scroll down to view how it is placed on the tables if you can't quilt entirely from the front. Approx. one page down on the site is a link to a video showing the Circle Lord. I love mine and use it a lot when quilting. Don't hesitate to call and chat with Michael, he is always willing to answer questions and explain how something is used or how it can be done.

http://circlelordbasic.blogspot.com/

• 4 weeks later...

Sheri,

Sounds like a great idea - would appreciate your sharing pictures. Quilt for myself and a couple of friends. All of my children have king size beds, so make many large quilts. My DH is handy, if I can explain what I need. Problem is, I am rarely good at explaining.

Love the CL. Makes me look like I might know what I am doing.

Marilyn

Archived