Washing Machine & Dryer??

Lisa,

I have an LG steam washer and dryer that I have had for about four years. They do a good job and I have been happy with them. The washer is a front loader, I use the steam setting mostly and it uses very little water. I have it downstairs on a tile floor. I have heard comments about issues with them vibrating if they are upstairs, they need some sort of insulation to stop them moving. I also read that someone had used a stall blanket underneath with success, I have no idea what that is! I can easily wash and dry king size bedding and quilts.

Guest Linda S

I have the Whirlpool Duet Sport washer and dryer. The washer is a front-loader and can handle a commercial queen-size comforter (poofy), possibly even a king size. While it operates on very little water, like most front loaders, it does have a soak cycle, and while it doesn't fill with a lot of water, I've been able to soak the blue marks out of a queen-sized quilt with it. With no agitator, it doesn't beat quilts or clothes to death, and the spin cycle gets out so much water that the dryer doesn't have to run long to get the clothes dry. I bought the pair at Costco about four years ago and I still love them.

I have always liked my kenmores. Until the last set I bought a year ago. I like the dryer, but the washer is going when we move. It is the kind that has a water level sensor and no dasher. Large open tub that should clean anything but leaves loose dirt on the clothes. I usually have to wash twice to get large items like quilts, towels, or blankets clean. And the tub locks while it is sensing the weight of the items to be cleaned, before it adds the water, so if you need to add another item to the wash, you must pause the machine, and wait and wait and wait until it decides to unlock the door. Quicker to just cut the machine off and start over. Do not buy a water saving machine. It really doesn't save water if you must run it twice to clean a whole load. JMO on water saving machines

Debbie

PS, I think I will go back to my old dial type machine, and forget the digital ones completely. You have to reset each parameter with each load. I use cold water to wash and it defaults to a preset temp depending on the load type you want. Cold is not a preset option on any of the cycles.

I HATE the dryers with the lint screen on the top of the machine; it immediately deposits lint and debris on the top of the dryer and anything you might have on it! It wasn't something I considered when I bought a new set some years back..........

We have a Miele washer and they are built to last. They are built so well that they are actually pasted on. They are expensive. I would have purchased the matching dryer but my dealer screwed up and ordered a LP gas dryer and I needed a natural gas dryer. So I bought a Speed Queen and am very happy with it. Speed Queen only makes washers and dryers and I would look at them also.

I have always liked my kenmores. Until the last set I bought a year ago. I like the dryer, but the washer is going when we move. It is the kind that has a water level sensor and no dasher. Large open tub that should clean anything but leaves loose dirt on the clothes. I usually have to wash twice to get large items like quilts, towels, or blankets clean. And the tub locks while it is sensing the weight of the items to be cleaned, before it adds the water, so if you need to add another item to the wash, you must pause the machine, and wait and wait and wait until it decides to unlock the door. Quicker to just cut the machine off and start over. Do not buy a water saving machine. It really doesn't save water if you must run it twice to clean a whole load. JMO on water saving machines

Debbie

PS, I think I will go back to my old dial type machine, and forget the digital ones completely. You have to reset each parameter with each load. I use cold water to wash and it defaults to a preset temp depending on the load type you want. Cold is not a preset option on any of the cycles.

"Water Saving" washers are kind of like the "water saving" toilets. You need to run them more than once to get the job done, so might as well use more water and do it once. B)

Thanks for all the input. It was so much easier with the old agitator style machines! Yikes, how the heck do you wash a big quilt yet keep that low bump on the bottom open and visible in these new machines??

We are trying to buy Made-in-America (no offense to those elsewhere!) and found Whirlpool's 4.0 cubic feet washer (with dryer) to be reasonably priced and assembled here. We also liked a similar Samsung set but it is not made here. My 15 year old son, who does his own laundry now, loved it!

Considering they only last 8 to 10 years these days if you are lucky, my dear hubby does not want to spend much over $800 on each machine, so we have a budget of $1600-ish.

The on-line reviews are either love it or hate it for both sets...and we learned companies pay "reviewers" to post their advertising, oh I mean opinions!!

It was easier to decide on my APQS!!

Thanks all. This forum may look different, but you are all still the best!

Hi again.

I forgot to mention,....

Linda, Sue, Corey - I loved the Duet, LG and Electrolux sets, but hubby squashed those prices.

You are right, Lisa C. about the inside-lint screens not getting the top of the dryer dirty...though I wondered, as you change the screen, if the lint goes right back in! I thought some of the lint screens were in the way and might catch some of the clothes as I yanked them out.

Geo Tech - I would LOVE a Miele!!

Debbie: thanks for mentioning the low water issue - we have a well and the water pressure is very low - so we are concerned about that.

Thanks to each of you!

I bought the Samsung about three years ago and am very satisfied. At the time, it was the only machine that included an anti-vibration feature to reduce the noise/vibration if the machine is not on a slab or basement floor. Since my laundry room is close to my living area, I really appreciate how quiet it is.

Lisa, we purchased the Whirlpool Duet washer and dryer 18 months ago and we are very pleased with them. We've had no problems and they do not vibrate and travel across the tile floor as some people report their front loaders will do. We added the pedestals after a few months and the appliances remain stationary. It took a bit of time getting used to the sounds the washer makes, which are different than those made by a top loading machine. I have washed and dried a queen size quilt and am sure a king size would fit without any difficulty.

Archived