Posting Photos

APQS Family,

I have been experimenting tonight with the new Forum myself (we were tied up with the AQS show in Des Moines this past week...sorry for the delay!)

To save room on our servers for all of the photos that quilters want to upload, the system is set to display a thumbnail of a photo you upload at 100 x 100 pixels. When you click on the photo itself, it will open to a larger view. The size of the larger photo will depend on the size at which the original poster uploaded it.

To optimize the photo without getting an error message, resize it to a maximum of 1600 (high) by 1200 (wide). This will display quite a large photo when you click on a thumbnail. The photos I attached for this test post were all "resized" using a standard drop-down selection in my photo software of 1280 x 1024 (in the "custom size" category of my software). This is still smaller than the "maximum" size set for photo uploads.

When you click on the first photo thumbnail, it will open to a large size. If you hover your mouse near the right edge of the photo, you'll see a "next" box appear so that you can move on to the next photo attachment. Hover around the left side and you'll see a "previous" box.

To attach more than one photo at a time to your post, you will want to click on link below the "attachment" icon at the bottom of your topic to use "advanced uploader (requires Flash 9)" mode of attaching photos. With that you can go to the location on your computer where you store photos, and then select more than one using the "control- & mouse click" (PCs) or "command- & mouse click (MACs). The system will upload them when you post your topic.

I will look into slightly enlarging the thumbnail sizes for the photos. However, to get the most out of the speed at which the pages load, we may need to get used to simply clicking on a thumbnail to see the photo in a larger size, and get used to saving it in a different format (1600 x 1200 max).

Hope this helps!

Thanks for taking time to offer this advice, Dawn.

The problem many of us are experiencing is not being able to post a photo no matter what size it is. I get and error massage that says file is too large. I managed to post one photo today and couldn't get a second to post in a reply post, even though it was the same size as the first one. I think Laura had the same problem.

When you get a minute please direct us to a solution.

Linda,

Did you click on the link below the "attach" section to use the advanced uploader, and that is what didn't work? To upload more than one photo, the advanced uploader must be used. It's my understanding that individuals should be able to upload files up to 128 mb in size. Do you get that size restriction listed for uploads when you view the posting box?

Here is a link to the Help file that explains the advanced uploading for multiple photos better:

http://forum.apqs.com/index.php?app=core&module=help

BTW for everyone, if you haven't scrolled down to the bottom of the Forum page, take the time to do that and you'll see the link to the "Help" section of the forum, which may also answer some of your questions regarding how to manage your profile, settings, conversations, etc.

Thanks for sticking with this when you are probably tired from a busy day.

All I can figure is--under my "manage attachments" it says the three photos I posted in the last two days have used 471.19K of my allowable 500K. All the other zillion photos I've posted in the last 7 years are tagged as "0bytes" and the last three have eaten all the rest. Do we need to remove those attachments somehow to post more--and how can I post more in one posting if it'll only accept three?

Love your new avatar!! Gorgeous!

Hi Linda~

I am having the same issue as you.

When I re-size in Paint, I go down to 429 x 329 (somewhere in that range :) )

It still says "Too Big"

I know Dawn is working hard to help us all out.

We will get this figured out!!

It may seem a little frustrating, but learning new things is always good.

Just look at it as we are Sharpening our computer skills!!! :P;):):D

Laura

I had the same problem....reducing to 600 pixel was still to big to upload and couldn't upload more than one photo even in the advance uploader........ I have also been using a similar system to this for sometime although I have to say it isn't very helpful to those of us on slow broadband connections even with the thumbnails I have to watch that zinger going around waiting for the thumbnail to enlarge to a bigger photo.....

That's one of the reasons why I don't use MQR so much nowadays.......maybe I'll just have stick to my blog????

For those of you who are trying to upload more than one photo, have you upgraded your computer to have Adobe Flash 9 (or greater)? That is required for the advanced uploader to work properly. Here's a link to the Adobe Flash Download page (be sure to change the settings on the page to match your computer's operating system):

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

We're still working on the other issues you've mentioned and will keep you abreast of changes!

I had the same problem....reducing to 600 pixel was still to big to upload and couldn't upload more than one photo even in the advance uploader........ I have also been using a similar system to this for sometime although I have to say it isn't very helpful to those of us on slow broadband connections even with the thumbnails I have to watch that zinger going around waiting for the thumbnail to enlarge to a bigger photo.....

That's one of the reasons why I don't use MQR so much nowadays.......maybe I'll just have stick to my blog????

I have been there today to your blog ,all the time ,wonderful work

• 1 month later...

Joan,

I use a MAC and was able to post a fair sized picture of the baby quilt I just finished. It was on a new post titled something like Thread life question. I posted two pictures on it. To to that I had them in my photos on my Mac, used the export feature under File using Jpeg and medium size and medium clarity. I would export to my desktop (so I could find it easily) and then use add attachment and find it for my post. I just posted them, I didn't use preview. Hope this will help.

Here is the thread that I used to post my pictures. http://forum.apqs.com/index.php?/topic/30797-thread-life-question/page__hl__%2Bthread+%2Blife

Joan,

I use a MAC and was able to post a fair sized picture of the baby quilt I just finished. It was on a new post titled something like Thread life question. I posted two pictures on it. To to that I had them in my photos on my Mac, used the export feature under File using Jpeg and medium size and medium clarity. I would export to my desktop (so I could find it easily) and then use add attachment and find it for my post. I just posted them, I didn't use preview. Hope this will help.

Here is the thread that I used to post my pictures. http://forum.apqs.co...__+thread +life

Madelyn,

I was excited for awhile when I read your post, and tried exporting to my desktop instead of the default 'sites', but still no luck.

Joan

Joan,

The process I use is:

Open Iphoto, select the picture you want

Go to FILE and click on Export

In the new window in the box labelled KIND click on Jpeg

below that is Jpeg quality, click on Medium

below that in the Size box, click on Medium (now there are 2 mediums listed in the boxes)

Click on Export

New dialog window has a Save as: Title (select the one you want to name it or leave it as listed)

Click on OK and close photo screen

on the APQS forum use the reply box (or start a new thread)

type your message, then click on MORE REPLY OPTIONS

at the bottom click on Browse to find your picture.

Click on the picture title in the list of the browsing window, click on OPEN

When you are ready, click on ATTACH THIS FILE below the browse button.

Then click on ADD REPLY at the bottom of the reply screen.

you can use the edit feature and click on USE FULL EDITOR button to get back to the browse and select a second picture. That is the way that I just got 3 pictures on this post (none of them the one that I was going for!)

Hope this helps you.

post-2739-0-02209200-1353131608_thumb.jpg

post-2739-0-88939500-1353131718_thumb.jpg

post-2739-0-59301000-1353131775_thumb.jpg

Madelyn,

Okay, here goes. Nope, no luck. I actually have been doing the same process as you described for many years. Perhaps the problem is that I have my camera set on maximum resolution, so that I can get the most detail on the quilting of the quilts. With this email, I tried cropping the photo to about 1/30th of the original, and it still didn't work. I'll keep fiddling. Thanks for trying to help!

Joan

Archived