NEWBIE QUESTIONS

apylinski

I'm fairly new to this Forum and just today my new "Millennium" was delivered to my doorstep. DH and I are going to set it up ourselves. Any advice out there? I'm also wondering what kinds of supplies/things do I need to get started with. APQS sent me a packet of goodies to begin with and it came with a BIG Red bow on the head...thank you APQS. But being new I am trying to absorb and collect any and all advice and information I can get. Thanks. :D

Ann

From Pennsylvania

I didn't know I could layer new fabric on top of it. Should I get some muslin and batting and practice, practice, practice on that?? I've seen so many great posts on here but with the new forum all my favorites disappeared...so starting over again. Thanks for the encouragement. Its a little scary but I am excited!

Don't put too many layers on top of each other, as if you are heavily quilting it your tension will start to play up.

If your practising pantos just get it ready, no thread and run the machine as if you are doing the panto.

If you are looking at practising custom type quilting it workd best to find a local group that does community or charity quilts they give away and ask if you can practise on them.

Real tops will give you real issues that you will eventually have to face.

Welcome and congratulations!

You can still access the vast wealth of information by going to "starting and running your business" and the many tips and hints available under various other topics like the APQS training videos. Get a cuppa something and venture into past postings for a while each day. It's a treasure trove!!

If you don't have UFOs to work on, muslin is fine. But pieced fabric will give you a much better feel for the quilting you will actually be doing--dealing with seams and placing designs in blocks and borders.

You will learn very quickly and have a great time!

Ann,

Welcome to the APQS family! Let us know if you need any help. The machine is straight forward to put together. Use the instructions on the CD that came with the machine to learn more about the functions. Work through the exercises included (they will be inside the "complete manual" that you'll find on the CD) and you'll be quilting up a storm in no time!

Hope you love your machine as much as I love mine. I actually used old curtains, putting the lining side up. I made a first pass with light thread and when it was full, loaded a dark thread and quilted on top of it. I used odd pieces of old batting. It's nice to find uses for your throwaways. How close are you to Hollidaysburg?

Hi all. Thanks for the warm welcome to the APQS family. We have not started putting the machine together yet as we are studying the manual thoroughly...well I am anyway. Tomorrow's a new day. I can't wait to get started. All these suggestions have been great and I am saving them. Queenie and Libby I am in Mansfield. It's about 30 miles south of NY border near Elmira or Corning, NY. North central PA.

congratulations on your new machine. You will love it. The manual will walk you through the whole set-up, just take your time. You can buy single sheets from Walmart pretty cheap if you don't have an muslin alternative. I have put up to 3 layers on top of the same sandwich and you may get some tension issues but it is a great way to try out new designs. I wouldn't buy a lot of tools and such until you play some. You will need a ruler and base if you plan to do any straight line work, I'd be lost without mine. I love Deloa Jone's rulers. Her little one is my all time favorite and I love her boomerangs too. Enjoy.

Ann, Wecome to the forum and the APQS family. Congratulations on your new Millie, you will love it!! You will never be alone. You will find a wealth of information on this forum and there is always someone here to answer your questions. Enjoy your new machine. Setting it up is easier than you think. Like others have said, just follow the instructions and if you run across a problem you can always ask the gals on the forum or call APQS. You will find the customer service to be the best you can ask for. They are always there for us.

As far as getting started, practice, practice, practice. Don't get frustrated if it is not the best. It takes time to get the feel of the machine and make those beautiful curves. When I started out all my feathers and circles were square. I bought the flat sheets at Wal-mart to start with. You can get them for around $5.00, alot more economical than muslin. Use the same thread and needle size you would when doing a real quilt. I agree the best practice pieces are real quilts. You actually get the feel of the seam lines, you can practice stitch in the ditch and have spaces, sashings and borders to fill. After I got a feel for the macine, I used scrap or stash to stitch up some simple block designs, add some sashing and borders and go for it. You and your Millie will become best friends and you will be quilting in no time at all.

Archived