NQR - Military question for moms

Hey ladies-

We are meeting with the army recruiter next week for my 17 year old son. Do you experienced military moms have any suggestions/requests I should ask. I know everything needs to be in the contract! Are there things I need to ask that the recruiter isn't going to talk about... I want to make sure we get him on the right track and not led astray into something else...... I have been researching stuff on the internet too!

thank you!!!!!

Is there a particular reason your son has chosen the Army? The main function of the Army is ground troops. The jobs are designed to directly support the ground troops, such a truck driving, motor pool, medic, whatever. They may promise him a specific career field, but I know of no actual guarantee. Maybe that has changed since DH was active duty in the Air Force. Our son got a guarantee of a career field in the Marines, but he had to sign a longer enlistment contract to get the guarantee, and the guarantee was only as good as his aptitude for actually doing the job he wanted. Fortunately, he did qualify for his chosen field, or it would have been up to the Marine Corps where to put him..still with the longer enlistment committment.

Has he spoken to the Air Force recruiter? Since all branches of the service are now involved in providing support in Afghanistan, there is no guarantee he won't end up there (or in some new war somewhere). But, at least with the Air Force he will likely be "in the rear, with the gear" rather than out on patrol. The Navy is also not so directly involved in ground combat. The majority of the dead and injured in Iraq and Afghanistan are Army troops. I know comparatively few Air Force troops that have been there.

My personal preference, in order of "quality of life" are Air Force, Navy, Marines and last Army. All of them are great during peace time, and the education benefits are outstanding. As a career, it is hard on families and marriages, and the retirement benefits are constantly under attack at the whim of politicians and the perception of the public that military retirees gets too many paid benefits. It is not as attractive as a career as it once was.

Our son was in the Marines before the Iraq/Afghanistan thing. I would not have been happy to see him enlist in either the Army or Marines during wartime.

Just MHO.

Lynn

my son is currently with the 82nd airborne, army and recently just came home from a long deployment in Afgan - (YAAAYY) and my sister is master sergeant army. I second the advice on the MOS, if he scores high on asfab, he can pretty much get what ever MOS he wants - he just has to wait until it opens. my son waited 9 months before his desired MOS was available. be prepared though, what HE wants his MOS to be, and what "you" want it to be may not be the same things. As my son told me "mom, not looking for your permission, only for your support". boy am I proud of this kid! I would also have your child look into ROTC, here in texas they pretty much pay for your entire 4 year degree if you agree to sign for an enlistment post your education. the benefit is your education is free, and then you enlist as an officer. good luck, and thank your son for his patriotism for me!

Way back in high school, I enlisted in the marine corps. I scored exceptionally well on the asvab's (missed one question actually), passed my tests at meps and had my pick of jobs. One thing I wanted to make certain of was this...if I received a full ride scholarship to a university for engineering, then I would be dismissed from needing to serve. I was accepted at 2 universities, and I was dismissed. This was all written down...thanks to a great recruiter. I had always wanted to go to school, but knew I couldn't afford it without serious assistance.

I say all this because if you have certain requests...make them known upfront. Those requests just might become reality.

Thanks ladies. He has always wanted to be in the military, mainly Army, since he was a toddler. I would prefer not during wartime but it is his decision. He scored high on his asvab, (not as high as you Kristina lol) He is leaning towards engineering so I guess we will see. I just want him and us to be the best prepared that we can be with questions and getting everything in writing!

thank u!!

From our son-in-laws experience, be Wary of the Navy recruiting. He wanted so badly to go into linguistics. He waited a few months checking in frequently, and was finally told there

were no openings for linguistics. He went ahead and joined being promised he would be put in a section that required math. he joined for 6 years, to get into a math area.

Well, yes he did get put in a math career position, taking care of the nuke power on a ship. He hated it, and the tiny bunk area, food, etc. He was on the Enterprise. After the blow up and the ship being repaired.

Two months after he joined we were talking with a former naval man and wife, and they said the Navy had been crying for troops for several months. Sil had been lied to for far too long a time.

Our daughter went into the Air Force and got the field she wanted, a Diesel Mechanic. She loved it even when she had to go up into a very closed in area because she was smaller than all the guys.

Himself joined and wanted into aircraft maintenance and he got it, lol, that was in 1955. Later he had the chance to go into flight engineer, and he stayed in that field for 22 years.

Other than pay, we had a decent enlistment. I was not officailly in the service, any wife surely is in the military along with spouse. He did his job and payed attention to what was wanted from him, and didn't get new assignments very often,. He was at McChlord, Kelly and Travis Air Force bases.

ROFLMHO We had to rob the penny piggy to pay the Madigan Hospital to get our first baby out of the hospital. He was a premie, so had to stay in hospital for a while.

My son was a senior in high school when 9/11 happened and had been being recruited for college football at numerous universities. He had always thought about the military as far as a service academy for college anyway, so he decided that the Air Force Academy would be a great fit for him, both football, academics and service wise. (Even though he was part of the first class to choose a wartime enrollment.) I cannot tell you what a great experience the academy was and his career in the Air Force so far has been well worth it.

That being said, I as a mother am very grateful he chose the Air Force. He has deployed twice to Iraq and the Air Force has really taken good care of their troops. We were able to be in touch with him much more than our friends who are parents of Marines or Army soldiers, but that is the selfish mother in me coming out. I do think some kids are better matches with certain branches, so if your son has always wanted Army, then he should follow his dreams.My son loves his career (Civil engineer) and loves the Air Force and is still on active duty. I believe all the young people who choose the military as a career choice should be applauded and thanked without end! I will pray for your son and all our heros who are making these choices to protect our great country, I am proud of all of them.

Good luck to your son and keep us informed, he will have many "moms" praying for him,

Lori

PS: You can catch my son's House Hunters International episode again this Thursday, October 18 at 7:00 pm for his and my daughter in law's search for a house in the Azore Islands for his assignment to Lajes Air Force Base. (There is my shameless plug!)

It seems that we have a large number of military famlies on our forum. I thank all of the the famlies and their sons, daughters, Moms, and Dads! I too, have a son that always wanted to be in the military. You will be hearing more about him and his family before his deployment in January for a year away. As soon as I finish a quilt for him, I'll post a picture and share additional information.

As I pray for my son, Rob and his family, I will remember to pray for the forum families and military members.

CiCi

My husband was in the Army for 25 years and now is a Military Contractor for the Army. The military has been very very good to us. If I were you, I'd ask about his chances of getting into the teaching/training aspect. We got moved here as my husband was a trainer for several MOS positions. Quickly, he became the Commandant of the NCO Academy. During all the wars since the 1980s he was here training troups for service. Some times were tough but I never worried he was going into harms way. At one time he was over about 300 men and women and he spent lots of time worrying about them. We love the military and would do it all over again.

I grew up Army, Dad served 20 years. My husband is retired from the Marine Corp and served 22 years. As a child I didn't mind the life so much. I always looked forward to the next duty station. Dad had a very hard time when he got off active duty. Hubby transitioned so easily from active duty to retired life...lol not retired but civilian life. I think it all has to do with your outlook. By the time hubby got out I was ready, so ready. I was tired of moving and I was tired of not feeling like I had roots anywhere. As it turns out one child is in NC and one in NY so I will always be in both states. I guess the traveling won't ever stop LOL> I think the key thing is to know what you want and know it is what you make of it. If it is something your son really wants then you will help him make it work. You are good mom to look out for him!

Archived