the speed of quilting

When I try to custom quilt I have a hard time because my machine seems to sew to fast on stitch regulator. I am doing a double wedding ring and tried to quilt from a template that I drew on the pattern and it was terrible, so I decided to hand quilt this quilt. It is a wedding gift for my nephew who is getting married in June 2013

are you sure you are turning on the SR?

are you hearing the beep of the SR?

cause if you have it on, it should adjust the needle speed to make consistent stitches no matter the speed at which you are moving the machine.

for instance, when you move the machine faster, the needle moves up and down fast.

slower, the needle moves up and down slower.

I just went out to my machine and tested it, it is on SR. I guess I have to learn to have control when I am going slower for accuracy. I do great panto's but have a hard time with custom/following traced on stencils. Am I the only one that has a hard time with these?? I can meander just fine, freehand, but I don't know any other free hand designs for blocks. I guess I have to practice, practice, practices.

I know what you mean. I've seen people quilting slowly on other machines, and the machine seems to stitch so precisely and calmly. The needle doesn't jerk and jump like mine does when I'm trying to go slowly and carefully. I like many things about my Millennium, but I wish it would stitch slowly and calmly like I see other machines doing.

I find that I also have more control when my hands are closer to the fabric - I use a set of micro drive handles most of the time when I am working on custom quilts. Also, I learned from Sharon Schamber to use a rice bag to weigh down the fabric a little which keeps it from bouncing so much when you are sewing.

I have often wondered the same thing. I have worked on different machines in different quilting classes at QwM and MQX West, Gammill and Handiquilter, and I felt they both stitched slower than my Millie. I wondered if perhaps it was because Millie moves more easily.....not sure.....but I had that definite feeling as well. I thought it was just me.

I too have of late been really frustrated doing a custom quilt. I'm doing feather wreaths w/ echoing and the needle has been jumping way to much. I'm about 2 thirds done with the blocks and feel I should have more control by now, not less. Vickie, if your out there, I would love if you would explain about the rice bag on the quit top. How big, where to put it. Also, I never thought about micro handles. I know there are a few out there, anybody like one over the other. Thanks in advance. K

Archived