Recommended Posts

I have been having trouble with my thread breaking every foot or so. I rethreaded, checked the bobbin (and took out a huge piece of lint), slowed down since there are a ton of seams but it still kept breaking. After looking more closely at my Lenni, I noticed that the thread is rubbing on the machine (maybe the light bar) between the two bottom pig tails.

Am I threading it wrong? Are my pigtails pointing the wrong way (they are parallel to the quilt top)? Do I need to smooth that area out or is there something to put over it?

Help! This quilt is taking forever without having to deal with breaking threads and I just want it done!

Link to post
Share on other sites

The thread shouldn't touch the machine. Are the pigtails upside down somehow? If you've been using the machine this way without problems it might be the thread. Check to see if you can easily break the thread. If not, recheck the thread path--sometimes you get an invisible extra loop around a pigtail. Re-thread the machine from the cone to the needle to eliminate that as an issue. Make sure the thread is seated between the tension disks. Apply Sewer's Aid liberally to the thread. This will help with those heavy seam intersections as well. Good luck and hopefully when you finish this one the machine will have healed itself! :P

Link to post
Share on other sites

Changed the needle, rethreaded, emery clothed the rough spot. Talked to Amy, bent down pigtails. Worked better for a while, now breaking again. Now I am in search of another cone of thread that is close in color, I think I have more somewhere. It is still rubbing a little bit, going to try to bend the pigtails a little more and maybe see if I can find a tiny space out in the tractor shop to move that pigtail out just a little bit more.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am having a similar problem with a Rainbows cone. I have used this cone in the past with no problems. I am wondering if it maybe static from cooler weather (I am in the north east), or M&M wheels???

I cleaned the machine, changed to a new needle, then changed to a bigger needle, used Static Guard, loosened the quilt, but kept breaking at the seams. The backing is a lower quality batik, as are some of the patches. Though it is very pretty, I think the batik is an issue. I gave up. Ripped out the 1/2 row I was able to get in, and will reload this quilt today. It is a crib quilt and I have spent more hours in it than I will be paid for. Today, I will try a King Tut with it...and keep my fingers crossed.

Good luck with your situation. Unfortunately, I have no help to offer...nothing worked for me!

Link to post
Share on other sites

just at the corner of the machine to the right side by the lightbar, i have a similar problem. i put a piece of clear packing tape over that edge...and now i no longer catch thread under that spot. every now and then i can hear the tape rustle...which tells me to look there...and sure enough the thread has jumped out of the thread guide. i need to replace a couple of guides with solid fishing pole guides...but haven't done so yet. that will solve the problem i am having for certain!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...