So Fine unstitching & wedding quilt

So Fine isn't a thread that I use all that often, mostly just when I'm doing more dense quilting, but I decided to use it on my daughter's wedding quilt with a panto. When cutting the quilt down to size and applying the binding today, I noticed that the thread unstitched itself a stitch or two in a few spots where I trimmed the excess border fabric off. YIKES!!!!!!! I am so glad that I tested this thread on my own quilt before doing a customers with it. My stitches are perfectly balanced and it's a first time that this kind of "unstitching" at the edges after trimming has happened to me. I'm stumped as to why this happened with this particular thread. Has anyone else had troubles like this?

When doing a customer's quilt, I never trim it down when I'm finished for this reason, just in case, and I certainly never will now!

Here's a picture of the quilt. This is possibly one of the ugliest quilts as it went together and I actually like how plain and geometric it is now that it is done (and it is such an improvement over what is on her bed right now!). Made from their wedding colors, blue and black. She doesn't like anything girly or floral and this was so hard for me to get finished as it is BORING to me. LOL And big! 100 x 118 inches. Eleanor Burn's "Lover's Knot."

post-5206-0-42459700-1350420254_thumb.jpg

Me, too, Linda! And my machine just loved this thread. It stitched it so beautiful and not one break or problem in 11,800 square inches. Maybe I should try a different bobbin thread? I used Isacord as it matched the backing, but I've never had an issue with Isacord so I don't know what to think.

It might be related to the size of stitch length you used. I always use So Fine, but I always stitch around the outside too because this happened to me one time early on. I had taken a quilt off the frame and showed it to people for two months. When I went to put the binding on, the threads had unraveled. So from then on, I never quilt off the quilt for a panto. If I accidently do it, I go back and lock it down.

I wonder if there is a slickness to the threads used so they just slid off of each other. Glad it was caught before there was great damage.

The quilt looks great, but I do understand your pleasure in a bit more color/design. Isn't it nice that it will be at your daughter's instead of your bed! Now go make a flowery one for your bed!

i use so fine almost exclusively...and stitch off the edge of my quilts. however, i always stay stitch the sides of the quilts and have never seen the quilting unravel. in fact, i have 3 quilts that i use all the time...and wash...that have never been bound! Sad right?!

i generally use a stitch length 11-13. i am wondering if the isacord is the reason if unraveled. i use it occasionally...and find that i must secure it's beginning/ending stitches more than other threads.

nice quilt, btw. you did a great thing going outside your comfort zone to please your daughter! WTG!

I too use So Fine more than any other thread and have never had an issue with it. But I'm guess that Kristina is correct with her comment about the Isacord bobbin thread.....it has a shiny, kind of slippery finish to it and whenever I use it, I have to make sure that I have locked my stitches more securely than with So Fine. It's strong, shiny, beautiful thread, just slippery. :)

I too really like your quilt! And your quilting looks beautiful on it. Nice job! Your daughter should be thrilled with it.

Thank you for all the nice comments about my quilt. It's simple and plain, and I'm pretty sure she is going to love that about it, nothing fancy.

As for the unstitching, I am noticing that once the binding was sewn on, all the quilting stitches are covered by the straight line of attaching the binding, like usual, and all looks like it normally does, so I'm not sure why I thought the stitches were unraveling. I've been on some new meds and they have really been screwing with my thinking and short term memory, some days worse than others, so I'm thinking that is what is going on (it's all in my head! LOL).

As for the unstitching, I am noticing that once the binding was sewn on, all the quilting stitches are covered by the straight line of attaching the binding, like usual, and all looks like it normally does, so I'm not sure why I thought the stitches were unraveling. I've been on some new meds and they have really been screwing with my thinking and short term memory, some days worse than others, so I'm thinking that is what is going on (it's all in my head! LOL).

May I just say that I'm so glad to hear that someone else has screwy thoughts and short term memory issues ;) I take a lot of comfort in something I was told recently, from what I want to believe is a credible source. If you know you've forgotten something, it's not dementia!! This whole aging thing, not always fun but it beats the alternative. :)

Archived