Applique Sampler

Oh my I'm speechless. How beautiful Heidi. How long have you been quilting and how do you ever come up with the ideas?

Thank you Ann. I have been machine quilting for about 5 years now. Applique quilts just talk to me. Normally when I work on them I choose one or two designs to repeat randomly throughout the quilt and then use other fills. In this case I did all the flowers the same way by just outlining them and then doing curved cross hatch around them to really make them pop. Since she had them throughout the quilt I assumed they were a focus for her. There were 3 blocks that were the same, hearts inside hearts, which I guessed represented her 3 children (she confirmed this after) so those 3 blocks I quilted the same. I almost always match the thread to the background that is most prevelent and will show the least on all fabrics. I don't normally change thread colors. Before I load the quilt I have a general idea of what I'm going to do but I don't necessarily have the whole thing planned out. I hope that helps.

How did I miss this post! Gorgeous as always! I really, really want to make an appliqué quilt for myself just so I can quilt it...it would be a lot of fun planning out all of the designs to stitch in each area. One of these days! Thanks for the inspiration! Into my TIF (topics I'm following)...is that the old "favorites"? I have no idea...LOL

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived