Damage to Quilt From Needle Breaking

seemesew

Background: I purchased a Millenium this past summer and this is my first experience machine quilting so consider myself very inexperienced. Have completed a total of 8 full-size tops and several small projects. I was attempting to complete a Panto and evidently my needle crossed a spot that was very thick. The needle broke and when it did, sounded horrible so scared me to death. I stopped, went to front of machine to look and you can definitely see holes left, however, I felt like I could stitch over and it would look okay. However, when I looked at the underneath side of backing, holes are even more prominent and I don't know what to do?

Surely I can't be the first one that this happened to! Any advice from experienced quilters would be so much appreciated.

You are so right, you aren't the only one that has done this...for whatever reason, it still makes you sick. Even though the holes on the back are as you say prominent are you talking tears or just large holes.

First off you need to call your customer to tell her you had a small accident, but you have a solution to fix it and with luck you won't be able to see the damage. Offer a discount for the damage and a humble apology...things happen, but usually the customer is understanding and all will be okay.

IF you have tears, there are several things I use to fix a tear. Do you have any iron on interfacing...light weight is usually enough and you can't see it under the fabric. Push it through the hole dot side agains the cotton fabric not the batting, and spread it out so that all the tiny threads are overlaping so they mesh well...and then with a pin hold them down and use your iron to melt the pellon down. Once you have the hole fixed continue sewing as usual and with luck you will cross over it and no one will even know its there except you and your customer.

IF its just a bitty hole and nothing major is torn...take a pin and work the fibers back into place and use a little steam to mesh them back together again....then continue to sew and you will catch it with your sewing thread.

I also have used 007 Bonding power to fix big holes and it melts the fibers back into place and they stick for a long long time....and if the hole is really really big I hand applique a patch over the hole before I continue...if you can get some fabric from the customer and fussy cut it to match you can applique a unseen patch.

Hope this helps a little....I know you are just sick right now....breath deeply and tread on.

How bad is the hole? I have had this happen and the hole left by the needle was about 1/8 inch or so. I was able to wet that spot, bush the fabric with a toothbrush(clean) and get the hole sort of filled in my rearranging the threads of the fabric. I don't have a good solution if it is torn. LIke Bonnie said, you might be able to use interfacing, or place a piece behind the rip. Sorry I'm not much help. I do know that I would call the customer right away and give specific details of what happened, how large the hole is, and what plans you have to fix it.

Archived