Marking Quilts

I use Mark-B-Gone and another blue making pen that I cannot tell you the name because it is not on the pen. The marks just disappear when you spritz them with water. I also use the Clover Eraser Pen to remove the maks. Depends on what you are marking. I also use Miracle Chalk and Miracle Chalk Chubby Crayon. The Miracle Chalk products are removed with steam.

Hi Debbie,

I also use the blue clover marker and the Miracle Chalk products. I have had some experience with the Crayola markers...some staining CAN happen, so I'd not use them on a customer quilt. I've had some serious colour transfer even when using them on stitch-through paper. The marker colour transferred to the thread and I could not get it to come out (on one of my practice pieces -whew!). Mostly I use chalk, have never used the clover on a customer quilt, just my own. - Oh - and I do use the byrunzeel (sp?) chalk pencils, too.

L

Guest Linda S

If I'm going to mark a quilt and expect the marks to stay there for a long time, I'll use the blue Dritz Mark-B-Gone pens on light fabric, or Miracle Chalk on the dark fabrics. I've also used the white Clover pens, but they seem to run out of juice so fast. For quick markings on a quilt, I'll use the purple air-erase pens. They disappear within a couple of days and, if the weather is right, within a few minutes! :o

Linda

Hi Everyone,

We had a quilt show here this last October and one of the classes I took was What the judges look for when judging a quilt. The speaker (sorry can't remember her name) is a quilt judge and she said that a lot of people are using the crayola markers. She said what you have to do is wash your quilt in clorox 2 thats it no laudry soap and cold water. I haven't tried it yet so I am not sure but I do believe her.

Char

Originally posted by lisa_a_thiessen

Hi Debbie,

I also use the blue clover marker and the Miracle Chalk products. I have had some experience with the Crayola markers...some staining CAN happen, so I'd not use them on a customer quilt. I've had some serious colour transfer even when using them on stitch-through paper. The marker colour transferred to the thread and I could not get it to come out (on one of my practice pieces -whew!). Mostly I use chalk, have never used the clover on a customer quilt, just my own. - Oh - and I do use the byrunzeel (sp?) chalk pencils, too.

L

I have to agree with Char...I'm not sure I buy that Clorox 2 thing....That's pretty harsh stuff, and I'm not sure I would want it on my quilt. I have good luck with just using plain warm water, no laundry soap...and it seems to come right out. I'll have to try the Clorox 2 on some practice fabric before I would trust it.:(

Myrna put me onto those bruynzeel pencils. They don't break like so many of the chalk pencils do. I like the grays, 886 & 887.

I found mine at:

http://www.bindersart.com/pencil-bruynzeel-pastel-pencil.aspx

I have heard that the Marvey eraseable pens work great. I have never tried them but I think they are a favorite of Sherry Rogers. In fact, she sells them on her web-site.

http://sewfarsewgood.org/marvey_erasable_marking_pen.html

• 2 months later...
Originally posted by lisa_a_thiessen

Hi Debbie,

L

Just clarifying.........the chalk you use is the Miracle chalk although you do use the Bruynzeel pencils, right? I know the Miracle chalk goes away with steam but how do the chalk pencil marks go away?

Archived