Complete newbie bobbin question

Hi Everyone,

I haven't posted in months, but have read here and there. I bought a new-to-me Millennium with the Bliss system back in August and am just now getting time to do some serious work with it. I have a question on pre-wound bobbins. I have Bottom Line prewound bobbins and am wondering if I'm supposed to take the cardboard off of them before putting them in the bobbin case? I got a Towa guage this weekend and it seems to be "jerky" and the tension bounces more with the cardboards on than off. I have some minor intermittent tension issues and am wondering if this is the cause? Oy, I have soooo much to learn! Thanks so much, Melissa

Just my experience, but make sure the bobbin is in the case so when you pull the thread the bobbin spins clockwise. I leave the cardboard on the side against the case and take off the outside cardboard. I've run them with both sides on and both removed. If you aren't getting a smooth pull through the Towa gauge, clean the case especially under the finger. And when the bobbin is in the case it should sit at rest just a bit above the edge. If it's too low or too high, pry out or pry in the fingers of the backlash spring at the back of the bobbin case.

A jerky pull through the bobbin case can be helped with a bit of Sewer's Aid on the bobbin thread. Good luck--this will become second-nature to you after a while! :)

What you learn, when you read the postings. I only got the prefilled bobbins last year and have only run them just like they were a regular bobbin, what is the benefits of removing the sides or not removing the sides? More research is needed for me>>> LOL Thanks for the info Marion in BC

• 4 weeks later...

Sometimes the cardboard pre-wounds can be a tad overwound or the cardboard might not be perfectly flat. In that case I'll take off the cardboard. I suppose I could do that always but it would be one more step so I normally don't do it unless something is wacky. I've even had them where they are too fat to fit in the bobbin and I have to pull off a few yards so I can get them in the bobbin!

In my experience, the cardboard sides definitely affect the tension. When I have switched from pre-wound to wound on my bobbin winder that came with my Millie, I always have to tighten the tension, and vice versa. I read the (I think Linda's) suggestion in another thread to remove the outside cardboard and that really helps. I don't have the Towa yet but know I need it!

I am excited for you, Melissa, to finally get some time with your Millie! I have had mine for 4+years and due to full time work elsewhere i have not spent as much time as i have wanted with her... but I am finally becoming more confident. I have rediscovered this forum and it is a great resource for information and inspiration!

In my experience, the cardboard sides definitely affect the tension. When I have switched from pre-wound to wound on my bobbin winder that came with my Millie, I always have to tighten the tension, and vice versa. I read the (I think Linda's) suggestion in another thread to remove the outside cardboard and that really helps. I don't have the Towa yet but know I need it!

I am excited for you, Melissa, to finally get some time with your Millie! I have had mine for 4+years and due to full time work elsewhere i have not spent as much time as i have wanted with her... but I am finally becoming more confident. I have rediscovered this forum and it is a great resource for information and inspiration!

Cathy, yes, I can't spend as much time as I would like with my Millie either due to full time work. Sigh, work takes away from all the fun. But I suppose that it does feed my fabric and thread habit! LOL. I just got the Towa guage and that's how I really knew that the bobbin was 'sticky' with the cardboards. I am loving this machine and can't wait for vacation in 10 days when I can spend some serious time quilting. ahhh 10 more days..... not that I'm counting. :D

Sometimes I find with the Bottom Line pre-wounds, that they will get caught up in the bobbin mechanism because they are either too full, or the thread is wound off-kilter just the first few feet. If a new bobbin gives me trouble, I take it out and pull off a few feet, cut it off and try again.

Archived