What happened to Off the Edge quilting?

Think happy thoughts! Maybe they retired. Maybe they only want to sell wholesale. Wholesale orders for larger quantities are easier to fill than one or two rulers at a time. Maybe their competition bought them out. Maybe they won the lottery! So it may only be sad for us--and not them! :)

What I worry about are the vendors at the big quilt shows. A friend just got back from Houston and very seldom do they cover their expenses at a big show. They're only there to keep their products in the minds of quilters. Competition is fierce and prices must be as good as or better than their on-line catalog or no one will buy. Vendor space is expensive. She says they think long and hard each year to decide if it's worth it to lose money to vend at a show. Now that's sad! :(

I live in Houston and have been going to the show for years. Each year I see less and less of out of state vendors and more locals (Texas/LA) vendors. This year there wasn't anything new from last year, sad. Where the WS vendors would stay on after market for the festival, they don't anymore, as Linda said, they do best with WS. So if you go online to a WS only vendor, get your local shop or cottage quilter to order the stuff for you. I really do think Online shopping is taking over the the shows. And now there are Guild Shows every few month in the Houston area; that cuts into what is being spent at the Festival. I heard on lady from Corpus about 4 hours away say it cost her $1000.00 for 3 day for hotel, food and tickets and she had not even bought anything.

So remember, when you go to the shows, purchase something to help the vendors pay the rent.

Linda,

Tell your friend thank you for coming and I hope she did well enough to come back next year.

Archived