Guild "Donation"/Raffle Quilt Done But Won't Hang Straight

This was my first time quilting a guild quilt that will be raffled off during our quilt show in July 2013. I quilted it like I normally do, but when I went to hang it to take a picture, it does not hang straight (looks like large ripples in two corners). Do you almost always have to block these types of quilts to get them to hang perfectly straight? What could I have done wrong? It looks okay laying on a bed or on the floor, but it needs to look okay hanging for when it gets carted around to guilds or shops to hang to hopefully get some ticket sales. I used Quilter's Dream Wool batting exclusively. Any advice would be welcome.

post-3924-0-98511900-1352495578_thumb.jpg

That's a beautiful quilt, Cindy! The quilting looks great.

Blocking will help.

But--folding it constantly for taking around to the various venues to sell tickets will not do it any good and the blocking job won't last long.

My advice is to sew a narrow pocket at the bottom and the top of the quilt for display. Insert long dowels into the pockets. If you can't find dowels long enough, have a handy hubby or the local big-box home improvement store rip a 1" X 2" in half, making sure it's long enough to span the quilt. Sand all the edges smooth and insert into the pockets. These pieces will make the quilt hang straight by weighting the bottom and keeping the top straight. To use with a quilt hanger that normally uses clips to attach the quilt--make two short decorative chains with key rings on each end to loop over the top of the display frame and the ends of the dowel or board.

Good luck with your ticket sales!!

That's a beautiful quilt, Cindy! The quilting looks great.

Blocking will help.

But--folding it constantly for taking around to the various venues to sell tickets will not do it any good and the blocking job won't last long.

My advice is to sew a narrow pocket at the bottom and the top of the quilt for display. Insert long dowels into the pockets. If you can't find dowels long enough, have a handy hubby or the local big-box home improvement store rip a 1" X 2" in half, making sure it's long enough to span the quilt. Sand all the edges smooth and insert into the pockets. These pieces will make the quilt hang straight by weighting the bottom and keeping the top straight. To use with a quilt hanger that normally uses clips to attach the quilt--make two short decorative chains with key rings on each end to loop over the top of the display frame and the ends of the dowel or board.

Good luck with your ticket sales!!

Thanks, Linda, for the advice. That sounds much better than having to block this 103" x 103" quilt as nobody on our team seems to have a space big enough to let it chill for a couple of days on a floor to dry. Instead of writing Dear Abby, I'm going to substitute "Dear Linda"! :D

Cindy, your quilting is gorgeous. Yesterday at guild, another guild representative came to show off their opportunity quilt and I think they had a dowel like Linda suggested at the bottom of their quilt, too.

I started rolling all of my wall hangings on batting tubes or Fun Noodles to help keep them straight/fold free, but a 103 inch quilt is awfully big to roll and transport, I would think! But it might be worth the effort to help keep out the folds ... or do you get folds when you quilt with wool??

Guest Linda S

I think the waviness is a result of the curtain clips at the top of the quilt. If you put a pocket on the back and put a rod through it, it will most likely hang straight. As Linda says, if you put another on the bottom, it will look great!

Hi, Annie! I'll post about opportunity tickets when they are available. Funny thing is the quilt show committe hasn't even met yet, but I was put in charge of the quilt and it's ready for when they get started! I'm hoping sometime in December the tickets will be ready to sell. I'd love to sell the winning ticket!!

Thanks for all the great advice. I've got my team "shopping" for the "rod" solution instead of blocking it.

Archived