New Interchangeable feet

Yes and no.They have only a limited amount ready and those are going to replace in the kit that customers bought when first offered the interchangeable feet.That's what I was told.The 1/4" and open toe 1/4" foot is what they redesigned and replacing.That was a couple of weeks ago,so may have more ready.

Thanks for the updates everyone. Hope they post on here when they are ready. I have the new interchangeable hopping foot installed on my machine, i'm just needing to purchase "the kit of 3" now, as i've got 2 quilt tops i'm going to want to use those feet on, waiting in my closet!

Sure hope it's soon...i've been hearing it's close since august...LOL!! I'm just impatient over this!

I'm interested in the status of the interchangeable feet, too. I bought the original set of 3 and have heard through the forum that they will be replaced, but have had no communication from APQS. This was not an inexpensive purchase. It would be nice to know the status.

Would I be able to retrofit my 2008 Millie with this option?

Yes! But it requires installing the new two-piece hopping foot shaft - the new shaft (which includes the standard foot) is $137.50 uninstalled. You'd have to install it yourself or have your local rep come do it - it involves removing the hook assembly to drop out the old shaft, so timing (not a four-letter word, but seems that way the first time through!) is required. Not hard to do, just tedious.... ;)

Yes! But it requires installing the new two-piece hopping foot shaft - the new shaft (which includes the standard foot) is $137.50 uninstalled. You'd have to install it yourself or have your local rep come do it - it involves removing the hook assembly to drop out the old shaft, so timing (not a four-letter word, but seems that way the first time through!) is required. Not hard to do, just tedious.... ;)

Barb, I would start with the new shaft, which can be done now without the additional feet ready? Even the current standard foot would be an upgrade from the spoon foot my Ulti has. I thought I had read that the install would involve not only removing the hook assembly but that shaft the hook assembly is on - did I misinterpret an older post? I'm not afraid of timing my machine, I just didn't know I would be able to change out the shaft myself. Thanks for any info Barb, appreciate it.

Marci, you can go ahead and swap out your old shaft - I've done it on my own Millie and on a couple of customer Millies. The only tricky part is recessing (not removing!) the shaft so that the old hopping foot shaft can drop down. APQS has great instructions for the whole process!

Barb, I would start with the new shaft, which can be done now without the additional feet ready? Even the current standard foot would be an upgrade from the spoon foot my Ulti has. I thought I had read that the install would involve not only removing the hook assembly but that shaft the hook assembly is on - did I misinterpret an older post? I'm not afraid of timing my machine, I just didn't know I would be able to change out the shaft myself. Thanks for any info Barb, appreciate it.

Does your Ulti have a hopping foot or a glide? I was told that I could not use the interchangable feet cause my Ult11 glides and does not hop. Might need to find out if you can do this before ordering. I would be interested in knowing if you can use these feet on a non-hopping machine.

• 1 year later...

I have often thought (I know this is a surprise to most of you) of inventing a Stitch-in-the-ditch foot.  How hard can it be to fit a piece of plastic around the hopping foot with a little "blade" on it that trails along the seamline and the needle follows like on the domestic machine.  Just stick the thing on there and run it down the seam, you could still use the ruler if you are joined with it at the hip.  And....while I am on the subject....I want one that does not cost me more than an entire day of quilting!  Just snap the thing over the hopping foot and not replace anything (cause you know I can't do that!)

I have the new interchangeable feet, after learning about them here on the forum.  I LOVE them!  It's so nice to have options for which foot to use for which project. 

Okay engineering spouses, let's make a SID foot with a blade.  How are you going to have the blade go in all directions though?  Since SID doesn't always go just forward and back.

I'm game for somebody developing a SID foot but remember that little piece will have to rotate because your seams go in different directions.  I have the interchangeable feet and really like them.  I mostly keep the ruler foot on but when I want to get into detail work I can change it out and have a more open view.

If you need the stitch in the ditch foot to go in different directions maybe it could be designed to "slide" around the foot so the blade fits into the next seam.  Or make it a two piece ring, the inner ring fits on the foot and the outer ring with the blade rotates around to the direction for the next seam.  It works great in my mind.

Another thing to think about, besides the fact that SID needs to go in all directions (and isn't necessarily straight) is that any attachment to the hopping foot will further reduce the viewing area of the seams. Remember as well, that's a hopping foot. It goes up and down really fast and I wouldn't want to chance the attachment flinging off and getting hit or becoming a projectile! Too much damage to the machine is possible. I will run this past Denny the engineer and see what he says about it. :unsure:

I am thinking small blade here "knife blade."  If it had a blade on 4 sides it could go NSEW.  If we needed it to go SE, SE, NW, etc, we could unscrew if (tiny screw like the needle screw and slide it around.  This can not be rocket science or I would not have thought of it.  It shouldn't interfere with our vision cause the blade would proceed the needle.  You wouldn't look at the needle, you'd look at the blade - I mean that's what I do when I use the domestic machine.  Somebody all those years ago said, "We can not make a SID foot for the domestic machine cause it wouldn't work.  Well, it did!  I'll bet everyone on here has one.  In fact, I used to have a walking SID foot.  And if the Piecer's seam is not straight neither would be the SID as we'd just follow the line straight or not.  Remember....you read it first here!!! 

Linda and Den:  I use Deloa's ruler all the time that slips on over the hoping foot.  It works perfectly for edging applique and such.  Why couldn't this work the same way?  Her ruler is clear so you can see the work as you go.  I want a tiny blade on mine, please.

Archived