What would you get if you had it to do? To practice freehand designs.

If you were able to go and get something that you could take any where to practice your free hand designs, what would it be?

Or would you stick with something that you would use with your desk top computer?

Just looking for your advice if you have something or decided on something already.

Maybe the whys you would.

Thanks

Connie

I use a dry erase pen and a page protector to draw over my quilt. I also have a large piece of plexiglass to layover the quilt to draw on. Note place painter's tape on the edges so you won"t go over the edge on to the quilt!!!! Once I have something I like I can trace it so I have for later. I have several sizes of dry erase boards I use to PPP on too. I also keep a sketch pad book with designs I like and have drawn.

a fine-point pigma pen and a drawing pad ... or church bulletins ... or maps.google print-outs ... or backs of bills ... i've used them all ... the point is to just PPP! but i do like my pigma pen and small drawing pad. when at home I pull out the larger drawing pad.

Well, this just cracked me up. Especially the church bulletins. I sing in the choir and sit kind of behind the organ so...if the sermon is overlong...practice happens! LOL Have a great day everyone!

Don't do like I did. I purchased an actual Drawing Pad (paper) over a year ago (maybe two) and it is still empty. I tend to pick up scratch paper, used envelopes, etc. instead. My goal is to have the Drawing Pad with the ones I use/like instead of saving all the trashy looking pieces of paper.

I bought a bamboo thinking that it would simplify drawing over a real quilt, and it does. Just take a quick pic of the quilt top, and then doodle to your heart's content. However, for practice with various new freehand designs, paper and pen are best IMHO. Draw until your hand and brain are in sync, then throw on something you don't care about on your frame (or with your DSM) and go for it. I have found that I need BOTH the paper practice AND the actual quilting sample to become confident to do it on a "real" project.

So, I do recommend something like the Bamboo for planning exactly what you want on a real quilt top, but pen and paper plus a practice piece to hone your skills before tackling something that matters.

If you're practicing, just draw draw draw. Doesn't matter with what or on what--draw. It's practice. I used a white board when I started. And yes, you can't save the good stuff. But I had a lot of bad stuff erased before the good stuff started appearing. If there's something you like, take a photo of it.

I love a gel pen for the smooth line. But a pencil works. Or your finger on the foggy after-shower mirror. Or a stick in the sand.

Tablets are great for designing, but for practice--just draw. With anything. On anything.

Once you're happy with your progress and want to overlay designs on quilts, tablets are a great idea. And a great way to show customers your vision for finishing their quilts.

Yes, use anything at hand while you are practicing. I have sketch books filled with the Good the Bad, and the Ugly, date some of them, that is fun to see where you've changed,

My only other point is to the lady who said she erased. Please don't. your muscle memory is being trained regardless of how "Bad" it looks. just keep doing it until it gets better. Marion in BC

Archived