just ordered a lucey..... :)

hello everyone,

i have just ordered a lucey. and yes i can hardly wait for it to be delivered!!!!! however, i still need to take out a wall and make a room big enough for the machine. so i am basically starting from scratch. do any of you have any pointers or tricks that you learned setting up your quilting studio?? mine will be upstairs in what used to be two bedrooms, the room is approx. 14x22

also, from what i have been seeing on youtube tutorials i will need some basic templates and rulers to start out with, what do you recommend??

i have become a serious doodler and my husband is amazed at the amount of time i have spent on the computer the last three weeks. as a matter of fact he had to buy me a new computer- it seems i finally wore the old one out... :)

i also have questions about leader systems, thread, etc, etc. i want to know it all!!!!! but will start with the topics today.

thanks ahead of time for your input.

happy stitching,

gone to pieces

if i were you, i wouldn't buy too much right away.

i'd start out with 1 little ruler - like deloas little one and an extended base.

i have donita reeves extended base and i leave it on all the time and only remove for thorough cleanings.

your machine will come with a bit of thread and a panto or 2.

after you play around for a while, you will know whether you will prefer to work from the front or back...and this will help you decide what goodies are best for you.

everything is so expensive, i think it's best to wait.

Congratulations!!!! Just a week ago, my new Lucey was delivered. She is a wonderful new "friend." Did you get Bliss? My machines is so smooth and really floats while it stitches with Bliss. Your new room sounds great and how wonderful that DH will agree to make an area big enough for your quilting. CiCi

My advice on your room is to install a lot of good lighting and also a plug in the ceiling while you are at it. You may or may not like your machine plugged into the ceiling, but at least you can try both and ceiling plugs are cheap. Congratulations; you are going to have a lot of fun!

Also, be sure to put in enough outlets through out the room so you can have them direct plugged instead of power strips. Start adding up the electrical items and then add a few more, you know very well that technology is not going to get fewer! Lucey, hydrolic lift, bobbin winder, sewing machine, computer, TV/and cable/dish boxes, lights, iron, second sewing machine, etc. I just listed at least 10 outlets needed, also, think of how you may want to move the furniture, equipment to another area and would need outlets there. Sure would save hassles later.

Congrats on the Lucey!!

I remember the feeling of setting up my machine-- so exciting! I do fantasize about knocking out a wall- your new room sounds great!

Lighting is so important, as well as electrical outlets.

I think no carpet is better than carpeted floor, easier to level, but my machine is on the second floor also, so I left the carpet in.

I would prefer a more compact carpet than I have.

Like Meg, I started out with one little ruler and my extended base. I have accumulated quite a few since then.

Congratulations, have fun!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Linda S

I was just talking to my sister about this yesterday - so many folks have the big lights over their machine. I have none. I cannot imagine the glare coming off the quilt if I had that much light. I have the machine light and a little side light I use for contrast if I am stitching with white thread on white fabric or black thread on black fabric. Otherwise, that much light would drive me crazy. I suppose it depends on what you're used to. I worked in an office at the UO for years and never turned the fluorescent lights there. I brought a small desk lamp from home and was quite content with that.

For basic supplies, I'd get an extended base, a few bobbin cases, magna-glide bobbins in lots of colors (I'd recommend extra metal bobbins, but i never wind my own any more), a nice straight ruler like Janet-Lee's Favorite from Gadget Girls, some oval or appliqué rulers - check Deloa's site - she has good ones, the set of three freehand design books from Darlene Epp, a Longarm Centering Tape, and I highly recommend zippers for your leaders. Hope that's useful!

I agree with the above, you'll never regret adding more light above your machine. I like 'daylight' fluorescent the best. As far as it glaring off your quilt, I don't quite understand that.

Forget about pinning or zippers and go straight for red snappers or leadergrips.

Spend some time stitching large all over designs until you get familiar with your machine.

Other than that forget about toys for a few months until you get some hours under your belt.

Most of all, just have FUN!

To each his own Matt. I can't imagine being without my zippers! I baste the quilt backing onto the zippers with my Pfaff domestic (built in even feed foot) and just zip it on. I "full float" all my quilts now, so have removed the "top" roller from both of my machines and replaced them with the "Texas Hold'em", available from APQS.

Darlene if you've got the extra time to sit at your domestic machine and baste both ends of every single backing to the zipper leader then I'm not gonna stop you. I'd just rather be quilting is all. By the time you are ready to go, I'm already done my first pass.

Come to think of it, perhaps I should get zippers so I get SOME use out of my Pfaff Expressions 4.0 as I never seem to have time to piece anymore and man-o-man do I miss using the Pfaff's IDT.

AND what's the texas Hold'em?

hello everyone,

just thought i'd update you on the destruction/constuction at my house. this week, the wall came down, had to get an electrician for an unforseen electrical problem, wall patched, carpet measured and ordered, painting starting this weekend, "Lucy" to be delivered on tuesday. room won't quite be ready, but we've made great strides. by this time next week it should all be together. i can't wait!!!

decided to order Red Snappers, i don't ever want to pin another quilt on if i can help it. :blink: too much time and i always stick myself somewhere!!

i am anxious to get going. have to decide which of my several UFO's i want to put on the machine first. probably a baby quilt for my niece's new baby boy- he's now 4 mos old. if i don't get it quilted soon he'll be going into kindergarten. can't wait to be able to finish projects as i get done piecing them. that's the biggest thrill i get out of LA quilting- doing it all myself. someday i hope to be as good as all of you out there. i know, practice, practice, practice........

happy stitching,

gone to pieces

Archived