Quilt Path

Bonnie, Quilt Path retails for $9500. APQS is trying to be very sure that the program is fully ready for the public before shipping, so they anticipate shipping existing orders (yes, it's available!) towards the end of the year and into early January.

And here's a bonus: for anyone who buys Quilt Path through me, I will come to your location and do installation and training - you just have to put me up while I'm there! ;)

Guest Linda S

Given the price, I'd be more apt to go for the Intelliquiter BasiQ. Sorry APQS, but taking forever to bring out something and giving no details tends not to inspire confidence. I'd go with a product with a proven track record.

I remember way back when, when Intelliquilter was starting to "show" it's product at the big shows. It wasn't ready to market for quite awhile afterwards, and there was even a sign on it at the one show something to the effect "Do not touch". It wasn't opperable, but they were getting the "future" product into people's minds. It's no different with Quilt Path. It's a way to market the "idea" before the final product arrives. iPhone does it, and so do MANY other companies. Ever heard the slogan "Coming Soon"? Nothing new here, just excited, anxious to get their hands on it, quilters! LOL

BTW, Quilt Path is anything but "Basic". I spent some time with Barb Mayfield on my way to California the end of October. I was VERY impressed with the precise, accurate stitch out. And starts and stops are as invisible as they could get. This is going to be one honey of a system! Very worth waiting for in my opinion.

Darlene, since you have owned a CQ for many years, how does it compare? I own a CQ - I was the first APQS owner to have it installed, other than Sue Morris in Australia - but every now and then I think i should look into the newer systems. I only quilt for myself and I've been very happy with the CQ but time does march on! The price is much better than either the CQ or the IQ - if it can do everything the others can.

Darlene, since you have owned a CQ for many years, how does it compare? I own a CQ - I was the first APQS owner to have it installed, other than Sue Morris in Australia - but every now and then I think i should look into the newer systems. I only quilt for myself and I've been very happy with the CQ but time does march on! The price is much better than either the CQ or the IQ - if it can do everything the others can.

I think Sue Morris & I got our CompuQuilter systems about the same time, and I've been very happy with mine. I prefer the concept of a cable system and that's one reason I've stayed with CQ. Although my intention in spending time with Quilt Path was to "compare" the two systems, I found myself just enjoying Quilt Path and being awed at the stitch out at beginning & end. The screen layouts are very different, so it would take me some time to get used to that, but there are some features on QP that I really liked. One difference to note is that it does not override the APQS stitch regulator and actually slows down at each point, which seems to make the process slower, but oh so beautiful. Barb Mayfield sent me a note while I was on holidays, that the software had already been upgraded and was running at a speed comparable to CQ. That is good news! I like that you can just move the machine and mark the boundaries, without using the keyboard, since the tablet is a touch screen. One thing I'd like to see is an adjustable pivot arm for the tablet so it could be lowered to the front of the machine, just above the handles. This is a BIG issue for me, and probably many others that have had neck and shoulder injuries. For me, using the keyboard to jog the machine is not painful, like lifting my arm to tap on the screen multiple times would be.

All in all, I was VERY impressed, and it seems the software developer is very responsive to the requests of APQS. This system will continue to get even better than it already is.The future looks bright for APQS' Quilt Path!

Oh - I am SO glad to finally hear some actual feedback about the QP! I know we trust that APQS work hard to get things right and live up to their name and reputation - but it has been quite frustrating not to have proper info for so long. Having said that - it IS good to have a heads up when changes are coming - I bought IQ in June this year - had I realised QP was in the wind then I would have waited. Unlucky timing for me!

Dawn - will QP be able to read IQ patterns? I've bought quite a few!

- Ani

Quilt Path can read .dxf, .cmd, and .qli formats. Most places you have purchased your designs for your IQ will let you download the design in another format as most copy rights allow you to have your design on a maximum of three machines. I have had a CQ for more than two years and then purchased an IQ in February. The designs I currently had in the .cqp format only I was able to convert to a .dxf which the IQ would accept. Now the Quilt Path that I have installed on Lucey will use that same .dxf format. Some designers automatically download all formats for you when you purchase a design. If you look back in your "Downloads" file you may find that you received more than one format for each design.

I am having fun learning how to move around in Quilt Path and comparing it to the other two systems. Apparently there is a newer update out there that APQS is currently working on getting to me so it will work even better. (The version I received is not the most updated) It will be a simple update once I receive it.

APQS is working very hard to get the BEST product out to everyone. Sometimes, better things come to those who wait...

When you purchase patterns, it's very important to keep the original zip files in a separate folder. Many designers, myself included, provide all formats when you order designs. Then, if you do change to a system that uses a different format, you'll still have the files for your new system. Having said that, some designers only send the format you ask for and some even encrypt the patterns to only work on one or two machines and you have to provide the serial number for those systems. These patterns would then have to go with the system to the new owner if you sold it.

CompuQuilter can use CQP, CMD, QLI and DXF files. I'm not sure what Quilt Path uses as it's "native" format.

i am fascinated by computer systems, especially this computer system.

i like that it is made by apqs...i feel safe with the company.

i've been toying with spending the money and taking in customer quilts so i can have the machine running when i am piecing.

my question is this...

does it really allow for you to leave the machine and get something done or do you have to stay there and babysit while it stitches out?

and if you are doing block designs, can you allow the machine to make a pass on its own or do you have to reset with each block?

also, does itmake the head alot heavier? i doubt i would use the computer for my own work, so i would like to have the ease of movement i enjoy now.

and what is a 'no sew' zone?

i'm sure my ?'s are clear as mud, huh? :huh:

Marci IQ will automatically convert the DXF files when you load them.

Meg I generally don't stray too far from my IQ when running. I trust the machine but I have had the hopping foot catch an open seam. The IQ does stop for an obstruction very quickly though. I think most people would realign for each block design because as you quilt the fabric draws up a little and your next block will be in a slightly different place than before you quilted the current block. On IQ a no sew zone is an area inside a block you don't want to quilt (think quilting background around applique). I don't notice much difference with the weight of the tablet on the machine but if you were that sensitive to it the tablet pops off in about 2 seconds.

Archived