Help! My machine is slow.

alwaysquilts

Is the machine slow when you turn it on or does it stay slow after it has warmed up? The #8 screw will adjust the speed at which your needle starts and stops and sometimes it will keep going up and down even after you have hit the control stop, that is when I know I have to make an adjustment. You should look in your manual for the directions on adjusting the #8 screw. Depending on when you got your machine it may be located in a different place than mine.

Does the machine stay slow when you try to stith in manual mode? Is it just in SR mode? If it stays slow even after warm up I'd call APQS and Amy or Dawn can trouble shoot it with you. If you don't have thread wrapped around the fly wheel then it has to be something else.

Is it colder in the room than normal? I find this time of year if my room gets below 20'c then it is sluggish to start but once I let it run a bit and warm up it is fine. These machines really don't like the cold and I live in a cold climate so have to keep my room warm.

I was quilting along and suddenly it just slowed down. I was using it in SR mode and my stitches started growing. Then when I stopped, I used the one stitch button and it went part way down and stopped . I could hear the motor noise running so I had to turn the flywheel to get it in a position to stop the grind. It runs slow even if I don't have it in SR mode. I have turned it up to the fastest speed and it runs slow. with this funny noise kind of like a loose belt sound under the top cover.

And of course I can't locate my manual!!

Theresa,

You mention loose belt sound, so try investigating "under the cover". You will need to undo the screws on the top cover , if you don't have the manual then take note of where the plastic shims are etc in relation to the screws you take out. The top cover has some electronics connected to it so you can rest it on top of the machine without completley disconnecting it. Check the motor brushes of the motor these are the black caps either side of the motor, once you undo these a spring will want to jump out so be ready for it. On the end of the spring are the brushes make note of their orientation. Measure how long these are, if it is less than 3/8" they need replacing. While you have the brushes out take your compressor place a cloth over the hole on the other side and blow it out. These may have worn out which leads to the motor slowing down.

• 6 years later...

Stace:  Since alwaysquilts hasn't visited the forum for nearly seven years, I doubt you'll receive a reply.  If your machine labors and stitches slowly, you may have thread wrapped around the hook, or wrapped around the thread take-up assembly.  If so, remove all the thread, oil, and see if that doesn't correct the problem.  Good luck.  Jim