EASY STREET MYSTERY

I was just wondering if anyone is participating in the Bonnie Hunter Mystery at www.quiltville.com

The first clue was posted on the day after Thanksgiving and the next one will be the 30th of November, one a week for about 6 to 8 weeks. I have yet to actually do the mystery, but I am really, really wanting to do it this time. I have most of my fabric picked out just got to get going on the first clue which is 194 four patches. How about you Kristina you usually do the mystery, are you on top of this one this year? Bonnie says that this mystery is much easier than some of the past mysteries so that is why it is called Easy Street! Anyone interested go take a look, it is lots of fun to even just follow if you don't get to do it but print out all the clues as she takes it down as of June 1st to go into her next book. Hoping you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving!!

Guest Linda S

I don't generally do mysteries because I'm fairly fussy about what I like and I hate being disappointed when the quilt comes out to be something I don't like. However, Bonnie's quilts are usually all fabulous, so if you're going to do one, I'd say this is the best way to go. The color palette she has selected certainly looks interesting. I might print out the steps and go for it if I get time!

I like the colors she chose, too. I printed off the first set of instructions and will see how it goes. My "to do" list for winter projects is growing by the day. I have a request to make two t shirt quilts for nephews graduation from HS next spring. Bless their hearts for asking me NOW and not waiting until April. I have a bag of shirts from one of them and will get the other boy's shirts when they come this way for Christmas with their Grandma......my SIL. One of the nephews is 6'11" tall, so it will be a LOOONNNNNNGGGGGG quilt and weigh a ton ! The other nephew is 6'2", so a fairly long one for him as well.

On Friday I decided to participate in Bonnie's mystery. I picked my fabrics - all from my stash, thank goodness. I have about two-thirds of my 4-patches made. I should finish those today and then I just need to wait until Friday for the next clue. This is the first time I have made one of Bonnie's mysteries but I have been saving all her clues for the past several years thinking I might get to them "someday". I have made several of Bonnie's other quilts from her website and her books and I do like using my scraps and stash. Most of the quilts I have made are fairly easy although they do use lots of pieces!

Saved the instructions, but I haven't started yet. In the recent fabric haul, there is a good black and white, like she showed, so I may use some of this 'new' stash to pull fabrics and try it. There was a grey, too, and I need to look and see if it's enough.

I did do another one of their mysteries: it was a fun pattern, and I did like it when it was done, and though it's waiting for borders, I did complete the top. (ie, it's not sitting half-done in a tub!)

One other mystery class, I did the block, sewed the sashings on, got the top completed, and hated, yes HATED, the sashing. The block was striking, but the sashing color and print just 'smooshed' the block and it disappeared. So, there it sat. for at least a couple of years. Finally, I admitted I hated the sashing, and I unsewed it all. Got a new color, put it all back together and LOVE it now.

Doing a mystery helps overcome part of that control issue for me, because I tend to be obsessive about choosing colors. If I pull it all from stash, it also helps use up some of those fabrics. Most of the time, I completely immobilize myself with the possibilities.... there are too many to choose, so I don't start!

Sammi

I am doing it. I have some of the fabric and will probably do it in the colors she has suggested. I don't know if I will get it done as the instructions come out but I plan on trying to.

Good luck to those who are doing it. I liked the blog post with the four patches that people have been doing. Some of the colors they have chosen are nice.

I am happy to say that I have started my clue number one tonight, I got all the fabric strips cut and sewn together, tomorrow I will try to get them sewn into the four patches and hopefully that will get me caught up and ready for clue number 2 on Friday. I decided to use christmas fabrics so my background is white with small gold xmas trees and my first colors are a variety of blue xmas fabrics, I will use green and red for the other two colors also all christmas fabrics. Not sure how it will look but at least the theme will work together. So excited to have actually got started this time. Every year I print the clues and want to start but never have. Today the posts on quiltville look very nice, most people seem to have gone with the colors that Bonnie used but some have ventured out to their own choices. Cant wait to see them all done in the end.

Hi Jeanne...I am going to participate in this mystery. My fabrics are already picked out and I can start sewing over the Christmas break. I am so excited. I love Bonnie's mysteries. This will be the 3rd one I have done. My colors are Americana in nature and are posted on my blog...but I will attempt to post a picture here. I did change the name of my quilt to "Easy Company" though. I explained why on my blog. http://froggybottomquilting.blogspot.com/2012/11/easy-street.html

post-3521-0-94095600-1354048767_thumb.jpg

Jean when I get back home after I visit my little Kaidan I will be starting mine, I not sure If I will make it the full size or just half the size like she said by doing just half the amount. I'm going to look at the fabric before I go so when I'm visiting the kids I may just have to go to a really great quilt shop and have my daughter in law pick out some fabric and make it for her.

I love Bonnie's mysteries, though I have only started one, Orca Bay, but it never got completed. I ended up trashing it a couple of months ago to make room for other incomplete projects as I knew I didn't have the patience to come back to it :huh: . I can't wait to see how everyone's Easy Street mystery quilt turns out! There have been a few Roll, Roll Cotton Bolls in our local shows and they were all so pretty! Bonnie Hunter's web site was one of the very first ones I found when I started quilting and I still love to see her patterns and quilts. I love how she makes scrappy so interesting. Can you imagine what her stash must look like?!?

My sister and I are both doing it. I have week 1 done and week 2 cut out and ready to sew tomorrow. I'm using Bonnie's colors but my sister picked out different ones. This is my first mystery quilt. My sister is still working on Orca Bay which sounds like it was pretty intense.

I started Week 1 clue today and will finish that tomorrow and get started on Week 2. I decided to do my own color way and try to use as much from my stash as I can. I did buy a couple of pieces, but not much. Since we are in Iowa and Iowa Hawkeye fans, I am using Blacks and Golds. I had some of those already so added a few more. It should be fun.

Happy to see so many are participating, I have my first clue done and did about 8 units of clue #2 just to see if I wanted to do the clue using the easy angle and companion rulers. I guess it isnt too hard but you have to be very careful not to stretch the fabric because it is on the bias. I am using my christmas stash of fabrics for the mystery so hopefully next christmas I will have a Christmas quilt for my bed. I have a beautiful Christmas quilt for my sofa and lots of small christmas wall hangings but not bed quilts in christmas fabrics. Today was our day to decorate the inside of the house and put up the tree, We have two little grandchildren helping to decorate. Fun, Fun, Fun!! They especially love getting out the ornaments and remembering which ones they made the years past. Such nice memories. Love this time of year.

Well, I am still working on that stinkin bathroom paint job. Only a little more work there and it will be done. Then I will start this mystery. I am afraid I will get my mystery spoiled taking a peek at all yours. I will try to resist. I do think I am going to substitute the constant for a light yellow. I haven't decided yet. Gray is just so.....gray.

Just finished the 3rd clue last night, this is going very well for me this time out. I hope to be able to keep up through the holidays. I am using Xmas fabrics so using up alot of Christmas fabrics that are in my stash. I like the Monday link up Bonnie is doing to show all the progress each week. She had almost 250 blogs linked to the last two weeks clues. Such fun!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived