Quilt Path vs. IntelliQuilter

How to say this? I have 2 APQS Millenium machines both with attached IQs and I would do it all over again, just faster this time. I waited way too long to computerize my first machine. I love love love my IQs. I have had the opportunity to play with Quilt Path a bit and was approached by APQS to purchase it for my second machine. Loving APQS machines but knowing what I know, I knew that I had to purchase another IQ. There really is no comparison if you are an experienced computerized quilter. I can freehand with the best of them as I had to do that for over 5 years before adding my first IQ so that is still an important element to my quilting business but IQ can just do certain things with such perfection and it is a great time saver on pantographs. IQ's installation is very simple and my husband and I self-installed both times, the second time in less than an hour and I can easily take the head off my machine if I want to work on something but you seldom have to do any work on an APQS machine as we all know!

Belt driven on Quilt Path vs Super Motors on an IQ? IQ is extremely precise and you cannot get that precise with a belt drive system. When I want to freehand I just touch a button on the screen and instantly you are free. On Quilt Path you first have to cut your thread, move the machine to the side, reach and flip a lever on the carriage, then move the machine back, etc. etc. Believe me, when you freehand some elements and use the computer to do others all in one pass you will get sick of having to move the machine everytime you want to change it from computerized to freehand.

A thread break sensor is a huge thing and no other computerized company has one so that tells me it is not super easy to make one work with a computerized machine. That thread break sensor was invaluable to me yesterday as I KNOW that I would have destroyed a customer's quilt without it. I was quilting with a 3.5 needle (I know, I know, I should have thought to put in a 4.0 considering the quilt I was doing!!!) on a quilt with pieced stars. All of the fabrics were a knit stabilized with iron-on interfacing (spouses clothing so this is a sort of memory quilt) so it was super stiff. The needle broke in the middle of the row when I was in the other room, I heard the sound, but due to the thread break sensor the machine stopped immediately! It if had not it would have gone on to punch holes for the whole rest of the row! And then, I wasn't smart enough so I replaced it with another 3.5 and broke it awhile later too. Again, no damage to the quilt but when I I got smart finally and replaced the needle with a 4.0. It quilted the rest of the quit with no problems. When the thread runs out, breaks, or the bobbin runs out usually it would just be an annoyance as you would just have to requilt the rest of the row but if it would do that when you have a batik quilt on then there will also be holes for the rest of the row unless you babysit your machine and watch it constantly. Moving Quilt Path back and getting it to restart is also not as easily accomplished either. For me, I wanted the freedom to know that the computer would do its job while I did another job and that is a huge reason for going computerized, it is working for me right now!

Realign and restart features on the IQ are some of the best features of any computer on the market. Our tools for manipulating blocks and patterns are the best. I can make any block fit any wonky sized block. You can pull out loops, push them in, make parts of feathers bigger or smaller, or move them. Endless capability. Quilt Path has none of these features. Since when have you had a quilt that has perfect blocks? Fabric moves, shifts, and customers quilt funny. IQ makes a wonky quilt beautiful.

As for Windows vs IQ's computer? A computer is a computer and they sometimes fail. I have not had a second of trouble with either of my IQ computers. My newer one is faster and with an awesome larger screen which I love but they both work awesome. I personally found the computer on Quilt Path way more complicated. Just setting up a pantograph took many steps. You can't just touch your stylus and drag things around on Quilt Path as you can on IQ. As for setting up a pantograph, I can do that on IQ in seconds and then save it for future use too, so you don't even have to set it up ever again. Quilt Path took quite a few more steps and no saving for future fast use. Setting up a border treatment was a pain on Quilt Path. I was not able to move designs around easily and you can't manipulate them at all so I found that frustrating. Linking them together didn't work well at all. On IQ you can stabilize one end of a pattern and then stretch the other to make it fit just right, no such thing in Quilt Path. I personally like my designs to fit well into corners etc so there is not much open space. With IQ I can distort and drag elements so they are perfect.

Another awesome feature of IQ is "clipping". You can "mark a block" and then put any design into it and "clip" it off. For example, say you only have a block design that you love but want to put it in a setting triangle too as well as a full block. So you just "mark" the points of the triangle, drag the block design into the triangle as you would like it to fit, then "clip" whatever part of the block design hangs over the edge of the triangle off and IQ will stitch that triangle perfectly. Clear as mud? Trust me, it is REALLY cool. You can also clip off a pattern such as a pantograph to make it fit exactly on your quilt. For example, you can "clip" the bottom of a pantograph off at the end of your quilt so that IQ will follow the edge (which is sometimes a bit wonky!) perfectly without stitching way out into the backing and batting.

There is some really good info on this thread. Cheryl had a great point. Taking a digitizing class with Suzanne is definitely not a "must" but it has allowed me to do "what is in my head" and now when I need a certain design I can quickly draw it sometimes in just 2 minutes or less! I recently quilted tractors on a border of a quilt and I literally digitized over an image of a Case/IH tractor that I pulled up in Google. How cool is that? And IQ quilted it perfectly!

As for price? You can purchase a BasicQ system that does pantographs only but you still have full manipulating capabilities which will allow you to easily do perfect pantos. That system is less expensive than Quilt Path and the neat thing is, you can upgrade it at your convenience. That is what, if I had to, I would if $ were a huge issue.

Lots to think about. See if you can find an experienced operator of different types of computerized systems to show you how to use them and then you can make an informed decision.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How to say this? I have 2 APQS Millenium machines both with attached IQs and I would do it all over again, just faster this time. I waited way too long to computerize my first machine. I love love love my IQs. I have had the opportunity to play with Quilt Path a bit and was approached by APQS to purchase it for my second machine. Loving APQS machines but knowing what I know, I knew that I had to purchase another IQ. There really is no comparison if you are an experienced computerized quilter. I can freehand with the best of them as I had to do that for over 5 years before adding my first IQ so that is still an important element to my quilting business but IQ can just do certain things with such perfection and it is a great time saver on pantographs. IQ's installation is very simple and my husband and I self-installed both times, the second time in less than an hour and I can easily take the head off my machine if I want to work on something but you seldom have to do any work on an APQS machine as we all know!

I know you were comparing Quilt Path vs IQ

Belt driven on Quilt Path vs Super Motors on an IQ? IQ is extremely precise and you cannot get that precise with a belt drive system. When I want to freehand I just touch a button on the screen and instantly you are free. On Quilt Path you first have to cut your thread, move the machine to the side, reach and flip a lever on the carriage, then move the machine back, etc. etc. Believe me, when you freehand some elements and use the computer to do others all in one pass you will get sick of having to move the machine everytime you want to change it from computerized to freehand.

A thread break sensor is a huge thing and no other computerized company has one so that tells me it is not super easy to make one work with a computerized machine. That thread break sensor was invaluable to me yesterday as I KNOW that I would have destroyed a customer's quilt without it. I was quilting with a 3.5 needle (I know, I know, I should have thought to put in a 4.0 considering the quilt I was doing!!!) on a quilt with pieced stars. All of the fabrics were a knit stabilized with iron-on interfacing (spouses clothing so this is a sort of memory quilt) so it was super stiff. The needle broke in the middle of the row when I was in the other room, I heard the sound, but due to the thread break sensor the machine stopped immediately! It if had not it would have gone on to punch holes for the whole rest of the row! And then, I wasn't smart enough so I replaced it with another 3.5 and broke it awhile later too. Again, no damage to the quilt but when I I got smart finally and replaced the needle with a 4.0. It quilted the rest of the quit with no problems. When the thread runs out, breaks, or the bobbin runs out usually it would just be an annoyance as you would just have to requilt the rest of the row but if it would do that when you have a batik quilt on then there will also be holes for the rest of the row unless you babysit your machine and watch it constantly. Moving Quilt Path back and getting it to restart is also not as easily accomplished either. For me, I wanted the freedom to know that the computer would do its job while I did another job and that is a huge reason for going computerized, it is working for me right now!

Realign and restart features on the IQ are some of the best features of any computer on the market. Our tools for manipulating blocks and patterns are the best. I can make any block fit any wonky sized block. You can pull out loops, push them in, make parts of feathers bigger or smaller, or move them. Endless capability. Quilt Path has none of these features. Since when have you had a quilt that has perfect blocks? Fabric moves, shifts, and customers quilt funny. IQ makes a wonky quilt beautiful.

As for Windows vs IQ's computer? A computer is a computer and they sometimes fail. I have not had a second of trouble with either of my IQ computers. My newer one is faster and with an awesome larger screen which I love but they both work awesome. I personally found the computer on Quilt Path way more complicated. Just setting up a pantograph took many steps. You can't just touch your stylus and drag things around on Quilt Path as you can on IQ. As for setting up a pantograph, I can do that on IQ in seconds and then save it for future use too, so you don't even have to set it up ever again. Quilt Path took quite a few more steps and no saving for future fast use. Setting up a border treatment was a pain on Quilt Path. I was not able to move designs around easily and you can't manipulate them at all so I found that frustrating. Linking them together didn't work well at all. On IQ you can stabilize one end of a pattern and then stretch the other to make it fit just right, no such thing in Quilt Path. I personally like my designs to fit well into corners etc so there is not much open space. With IQ I can distort and drag elements so they are perfect.

Another awesome feature of IQ is "clipping". You can "mark a block" and then put any design into it and "clip" it off. For example, say you only have a block design that you love but want to put it in a setting triangle too as well as a full block. So you just "mark" the points of the triangle, drag the block design into the triangle as you would like it to fit, then "clip" whatever part of the block design hangs over the edge of the triangle off and IQ will stitch that triangle perfectly. Clear as mud? Trust me, it is REALLY cool. You can also clip off a pattern such as a pantograph to make it fit exactly on your quilt. For example, you can "clip" the bottom of a pantograph off at the end of your quilt so that IQ will follow the edge (which is sometimes a bit wonky!) perfectly without stitching way out into the backing and batting.

There is some really good info on this thread. Cheryl had a great point. Taking a digitizing class with Suzanne is definitely not a "must" but it has allowed me to do "what is in my head" and now when I need a certain design I can quickly draw it sometimes in just 2 minutes or less! I recently quilted tractors on a border of a quilt and I literally digitized over an image of a Case/IH tractor that I pulled up in Google. How cool is that? And IQ quilted it perfectly!

As for price? You can purchase a BasicQ system that does pantographs only but you still have full manipulating capabilities which will allow you to easily do perfect pantos. That system is less expensive than Quilt Path and the neat thing is, you can upgrade it at your convenience. That is what, if I had to, I would if $ were a huge issue.

Lots to think about. See if you can find an experienced operator of different types of computerized systems to show you how to use them and then you can make an informed decision.

I said I wouldn't say any more on this thread but now I have to respond to a couple of issues. Please be patient as I work through a couple of points on this one - I won't be long. The thread started with a question about Quilt Path vs IQ but became broader because of me - sorry girls. I am responding only because if anyone is going to look at a computerized system, they need to learn to ask all the questions - especially about what their needs and wants are and decide what is good for them and then learn the facts.

First and formost - ABM/Innova does have a thread sensor - don't know about other machines but I do own one for my AutoPilot/Innova (for close to a year) as well as my IQ/Mille. Please be careful when you state that only one company has a particular benefit. All the systems are advancing so quickly that we have to really do our research before making a broad statement. If any one is comparing systems, ask each company you are looking at about & what they have to offer. I do not know about all the systems or all the facts, but I do know each of the systems continue to change & advance just to stay in competition. Ask APQS if they are developing a thread sensor.

I can't comment about Quilt Path since I have not used it and of course it is new on the block, but with my AP/Innova I can move my belts to where ever I want to attach them - do not have to cut a thread and move the head to the side. Yes I have to reattach the belts, but I can do that where ever I want. I move my belt clips to my head and attach - I can leave the needle in the fabric and start a new pattern right at that spot - no big deal. Un-attaching and reattaching my belts on AP does take more effort than pushing buttons on my IQ, but the results are the same and it takes only a tad more time on my AP. If you are considering QP - ask the question.

With AP - realigning and restarting (such as after a thread break) is just as easy with AP as with IQ - and just as accurate. Again, don't know about other systems - ask for a demo about to how to realign. - this is important!

Clipping: AP does have a clipping feature - I use it regularly.

Those in the market must have figured out that IQ is a fabulous system and the designing possibilities are the best with IQ as compared to all the other systems on the market - Also IQ is a Linux system and very stable. AP is Window's based - not sure what QP is. ABM tells us to keep our AP systems separate and not to do the constant Windows upgrades - therefore my AP system stays very stable. I will not upgrade to Windows 8 until ABM has determined that all is stable and functional - I may never upgrade. I also keep my AP computer off the internet except for AP upgrades - recommended by ABM. It is a dedicated computer. In the end, because I follow ABM's instructions, it has proved just as stable as IQ.

I have brought up just a few issues for comparative discussion. I am not a dealer. I am not affected when it comes to purchasing one system over another. Please, do your research and purchase what you think is best for you. IQ is fabulous - I use it with total confidence, I love my AP and I am also anxious to see how QP fairs in the competition. I know several owners of CompuQuilter who love their systems and Statler gals who love theirs. I have seen beautiful work done using the system sold by HandiQuilter (forget the name of the system). Do your homework and figure out what is important to you. Read the various threads and make of list of what you think might be important to you & get the facts. Compare costs to your personal budget & make the best informed decision you can make for you. Find out from APQS what their immediate plans are for QP and the future of QP when its comes upgrades/additions. Which ever system you select, you will get to know it - the goods and the bads and then do some beautiful quilting.

A final note - this is primarily an APQS site and most of the members are APQS owners and one should be aware that not all computerized systems are a readily available for all systems. I believe if you went Statler, there would be some internal retrofitting of the APQS head which is not the best choice in my personal opinion. AP is only available to Innova owners as of today, but think they would like to extend to other machines - if you are interested in researching this avenue, I would contact them directly. CompuQuilter is readily available to APQS owners. So, in essence, the immediate and easiest selections of a computerized system for an APQS system boils down to QuiltPath, CompuQuilter or IQ.

I do have a Quilt Path, and with a tap of the screen I can move my head anywhere I want to. I can also tell you that when the you run out of bobbin thead, Quilt Path's system is extremely accurate in following the previous sewing. Your customer would not see holes, because the same path would be stitched again.

I have had my Quilt Path since early Septemeber, I liked the first version, I like the current version even better. What I like best is that the APQS gang, listened to what the actual quilters wish list was, and went back to the programers and had it added. Bob and Jim spent several afternoons with me and watched me quilt using the system on actual customer quilts, by doing so they understood what I needed and why.

I also like that the weight of my Red Snappers do not interfer with Quilt Path at all. I think I saw a work around for IQ several months back.(but that could be fixed by now for them)

Meg is right no one system is going to be perfect for everyone, and you have to ask the right questions.....but I can tell you that Quilt Path already has the ability to do things that I will never use, and there are more improvements in the pipeline.

I am not a dealer or an employee of APQS, just a grateful customer that happened into the shop for a spa date and happened to mention to Amy that I was going to purchase a computerized system. Luckily for me I lived in the right place, and had the right type of machine to allow me to get Quilt Path when I did. :)

It sounds to me like the comparison made above by epprog may have been on a one of the very first QP systems. There have already been several upgrades, and more to come

When I visited with Barb Mayfield the end of October and had her show me some of the features of Quilt Path, I'm quite sure it had the ability to "distort" a pattern to fit a designated space. She simply moved the machine to each corner, tapped the "set point", and then stretched the design to fit. It looked pretty easy to me and very similar to IQ.

I've used CompuQuilters for many years, and have to disagree that a belt or cable system is less accurate than IQ. I've talked with several people that have BOTH IQ & CQ. The consensus from them is that a belt drive system is the most accurate. This is the first time I've heard anyone say it isn't. It is the very reason why CQ, QP, AP and all the other systems use a belt drive. Before the major CQ hardware upgrade about a year or so ago, we used a cable system. This DID need to be tightened every so often, but the new belt drive does not need to be. It is "spot on".

Like Meg said, it's important to find out the most recent information before making statements about what another system "can't do" because they are changing and adding features so often.

I know it's often stated that it's a big chore for CQ, and now QP, to go from computerized to freehand. It USED to be more of a chore for CQ (several years ago), but with the new hardware & software upgrades, it's very quick. CQ has had what we call "Boundary" for many years. Simply set the points along the outline of the block, bring in the pattern, and drag the handles to "fit". You can even "Morph" a border design to fit a wonky border, and the pattern won't look distorted at all. We also have an "Outline" feature, among others. Or bring in one repeat and hit the Wreath button to turn it into............you guessed it, .......a wreath! You can then Save that design as a separate pattern. You can have LOTS of fun with this one.

One thing I love about CQ is that I can have the Demo version on other computers. I often work out the details for the next quilt while my machine is stitching away. I don't have to remove a tablet from the machine to do this.

HERE'S THE IMPORTANT THING TO REMEMBER! Whichever computerized system you decide to invest in, you'll be extremely happy! :D Because it's going make your quilting life SO much easier. There will be a LOT less stress on your body, and your customers are going to LOVE the perfect, intricate designs that you can now put on their quilts. AND, digitized patterns are cheaper to buy than paper!

If you want a great design software, Art and Stitch is about the best out there, IMHO. Of course I don't know them all, but am certainly loving the ease of use, the many capabilities, and most of all, the incredible support from the designers. I like having the design software separate from the quilting system as I can do things like design patterns while driving from BC to California. I actually did this in November and had a blast. NO interruptions! LOL My Water Lily collection and several others came about while driving down I-5. NO, I wasn't driving! Hubby was driving and listening to his Country Music, while I had my ear plugs in and was designing. I can only do country music for 4 hours before I start chewing my nails! :ph34r:

NOW, back to the quilt so I can advance it to the next row, push the button and go have lunch. :rolleyes:

Shirley, Quilt Path will work on your 2002 Millie (it's got Stitch Regulator, right?) and retails for $9,500, plus applicable sales tax and minimal shipping. You will need to give your hubby full details on your machine in order to get the proper setup. ;)

• 1 month later...

I got a question about this thread today so I thought I'd pop in and make a few tiny clarifications for those who come after me.

*The issue I had with the Red Snappers was all about the weight of the snappers, the height of my leveler bar and the little lip by the bobbin thread cutter on my Millie. If I ever get myself organized I'll raise the height of my leveler bar just a teensy bit so the weight of the Red Snappers doesn't pull down the canvas when I'm starting a quilt. I'd have the same issue regardless of whatever computerized system used. For now, I just stitch out a half row initially and babysit my machine which it is stitching so the Red Snappers don't get caught. Once I find the time... 2014 anyone? :) I'll adjust my leveler bar.

I have two Millennium's in my studio right now. One is running Quilt Path and one is running IQ. Both are on Bliss. I do not have Red Snappers on the Millennium running Quilt Path. I'm just pinning the backs to the canvas and there isn't anything to catch on the bobbin thread cutter. When either machine is in freehand mode it floats across the table allowing me to remember again and again why I LOVE the ease Bliss gives me on my table. :)

*You can run IQ with the stitch regulator on. It is a personal preference. I never use my regulator when I have IQ stitching because I don't see the need. The stitches are consistent and beautiful.... I LOVE MY MILLIE!!

Beyond that, it is great that people are asking questions and getting info. As Darlene said- we are living in a fantastic time where we have so many choices and it is exciting to see what is on the horizon and what is possible. Quilt Path will be at all the APQS shows and Road Shows this year. If you can, stop by the booth and get introduced to Quilt Path. You'll find it fascinating even if you don't see a computerized system in your future. The computer is a tool and I can't wait to see how others use it to push our art form forward.

Wow! This is an interesting post. I went to a quilt show 11/2 years ago in Portland and was amazed with the computerized quilting. I was at the IQ booth every chance I had. After checking out the different systems (quilt path wasn't available then ) I decided to buy the IQ. I have had it since February last year. It was the best investment I ever made. Standing on your feet for 7 hours wasn't my cup of tea. Housecleaning and laundry was starting to pile up. My IQ has given me the freedom to get all those things done, plus keep me quilting. I have more time to do the stuff I want to (house is getting cleaned too,LOL! ). My only regret is that I am so far from the mainland, I couldn't get the lesson on how to use my IQ. I had to learn through videos and a helpful sales rep through emails, but I think if someone was here in Hawaii to show me the IQ after I bought it, I think I would have caught on much quicker. It 's still a learning process for me, but I am getting better. The IQ is great for designing your own designs and sizing the design to fit your quilt. The distort upgrade is the bomb. If I had to do it all over again, I would definitely go with a computerized system. Don't know about the the quilt path but I know APQS Has the best long arm machines and I'm sure the quilt path will be just as great. Too bad it wasn't available when I was buying computerize.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Thank you all for the time it took to compare features and systems. I am about ready to go computerized and this information was and is invaluable.

I realize that some of the info is nearly a year old and that many changes can occur in that amount of time, but much of the info, especially belt vs. motor driven was invaluable. I still have much to investigate. Thanks again to all who contributed.

Archived