Rabbits Prefer Embroidery

I finished this quilt for a customer and am wondering what level of quilting would you charge and price per inch? There was a bit of SID involved, going around each embroidered section and around the scalloped edge of the border. The quilt is only 36 x 39 and at 5 cents an inch it's only about $70. I had another customer see this quilt and she said $70 was way to cheap. I'm pretty sure I have way more work in it than that but am clueless on pricing custom as it's new to me. The customer is used to someone who hands her the bill and she just pays it.

post-5206-0-72996400-1354145913_thumb.jpg

I think its a matter of what the normal rate in your area is, who your competiton is, etc. If 5 cents is a normal price for this level of quilting in your market, I think that's fair. You can add a set-up fee, or a thread charge if you need to get a bit more $$. Where I live, they expect heirloom for 5 cents an inch!!

I stopped charging per square inch and went to by the hour $20 a while ago. I'm still just as busy as I ever was, maybe more so. That's the only charge I have, no thread, no loading charge, etc. From the time I start handling their quilt, I keep track of my hours. Customers can decide how much they want to budget for their quilts--for a simple overall meander on a queen size quilt I can do those in 3-5 hours. Custom of course takes longer but the customer can decide if she wants to spend the dollars or not.

Thanks, ladies. A lot to think about here. Lynn, it sounds like there are a lot of longarmers in your area or customers just expect a lot and have no clue! I can't imagine heirloom at 5 cents an inch. Heidi and Janna, I can see where an hourly charge would be a good way to go for custom. Hey, if they piece a fancy quilt, they have to know it is going to take a lot of time to quilt it! Unfortunately, I'm slow at custom as I don't do it that often, but this quilt had 5 thread changes and I think that slowed me down even more. I slept on the price and have decided 5 cents would be too much. I did come up with a figure that I'm okay with, while I'm still in "the learning phase" of doing custom, anyway! I appreciate the input!!

Unfortunately, I'm slow at custom as I don't do it that often, but this quilt had 5 thread changes and I think that slowed me down even more.

Oops! It wasn't this quilt with 5 thread changes, it was her second quilt! I need to take some better pictures of it still as it is rainy here and I didn't get any good shots of it yesterday.

Bonnie I will caution you on selling yourself short! If you feel like you are using it as practice mark the real price you want to be charging and give a discount. This way the customer sees what your work should cost and there will be no hard feelings in the future.

Heidi, I will do just that. What a good idea!! I didn't think of it. Thank you!!!

Archived