Modern fabric

I had to laugh when I read this thread, since I get a strong whiff of "you darn kids!" I think it's ... discouraging that so many comments imply modern quilters don't appreciate the traditional quilts, or the work that went into them. The modern quilters I know go to all the shows to see the beautiful things there, no matter what style, fabric, or technique is used, and appreciate them.

I'm a modern quilt designer, have my own longarm to work on my quilts (since it's been rare to find a professional that understands what I would like and what I envision for my work, and would be willing to try it), and will be giving a demo of my quilts and design process for Modern Quilts Unlimited who has and will be publishing some of my quilts at QuiltCon, the first quilt show for modern quilts. Over 750 quilts were submitted for consideration, in a variety of styles from scrappy to extremely intricate, from improv (like Denyse Schmidt's work) to controlled. I've shared some pieces here, despite personal concerns that I do not "fit the mold" on this forum.

And, I have to admit, I'm a little disheartened with some of what I've read so far. Personal preference is just that, personal preference. Because someone prefers simple designs over complex ones does not mean they are either lazy or incapable of making something more difficult. Making an improv quilt that works well overall is more difficult than just throwing pieces of fabric together, and the ability to think along those lines and do it well-usually with no pattern or tutelage-is not something everyone has. I'm also wondering if this value judgment also holds for people who bring in rail fences, 4-patches, or other simple designs: are they lazy, too? Or is it ok because these quilts are traditional? Can't we all just get along? :)

p.s. ook up the work of Lisa Sipes, who will be at NEQF (formerly MQXE). She's a professional longarmer who does a great deal of work on modern quilts.

I'm a modern quilter through and through but I also belong to a traditional guild because I know that's where I'll get the bulk of my business. I've heard quite often in that guild how modern quilts are boring and ugly (though thankfully not about my own, at least not to my face). I think what has to be remembered is that lots of modern quilters are new quilters. They have full time jobs, young kids, and don't have the desire to spend hundreds of hours on one masterpiece. In some ways modern quilting reflects our wired society. It's as much about sharing on flicker, blogs, and instagram as it is about completing a quilt. There are modern quilters who create intricate, difficult quilts, too.

I think a huge element in this is also that one that none of us like to talk about - taste. I've seen a lot of hideous traditional quilts and an equal number of ugly modern ones. There are ugly, boring modern fabrics as well as dynamic ones. Same goes for traditional fabrics. I think batiks are the most boring thing in the world. Give me a text print over them any day. This doesn't mean batiks are ugly, I just don't like them. Same goes for Angela's fabric line. I love her quilting but think her fabric palette is muted and boring. Suzuko Koseki, now that's a fabric designer! Again, it's all opinion, and we all know the saying about those.

So, as long as the cheque doesn't bounce and the top doesn't smell of downy (I'm asthmatic), it's all good. After all, it's just a quilt.

Archived