Baby nursery with anchor theme

Have any of you done any quilts with anchors? I'm making a baby quilt for my newest granddaughter due in March. I don't like the fabric and it isn't inspiring me in the slightest. I feel like it is 1. too old and 2. too masculine. I designed a quilt and pieced most of it. I changed the original plan for it because the fabrics were just too busy and I felt like it looked like somebody threw up on it. :o It is Sarah Janes Jewel of the Sea line found here: http://www.fatquartershop.com/Out-to-Sea-Michael-Miller-Fabrics-Sarah-Jane.asp I don't hate all the fabric but my DIL wanted the anchors in navy and dark pink as well as the ships wheels, she is having a girl! :( She loved what I designed, I hated it. I ordered some of the ship fabric and made one of the blocks up with that instead of the ships wheels and son liked the ships better than the ships wheels so DIL agreed to change it. I still don't find this top inspiring me. The navy is too dark and over-powers the whole thing in my opinion. I did convince DIL to let me use the solid print for the outside border instead of the planned light blue print. I'm going to applique mermaids in some of the panels, again my suggestion and hope in making it more little girlish. I think this fabric would make a really cute dress or something but I don't like it at all as the main theme for the baby's room. They painted the walls blue (med bright blue) on the bottom with wood planks sectioning it off and the top is bright pink. I thought the blue on the bottom was going to be navy so was a little surprised to get the picture with the bright blue. Now I feel like I have to pull that brighter blue into the quilt to make it go together. Sigh I just don't like it at all. I think I'm going to test out the embroidery and make the mermaid a brighter blue and see if I can make it look like it goes. I don't think it is going to work. OK enough can you tell I'm not inspired? I keep thinking about quilting designs and I think I have a plan but any ideas would be helpful. I'll post a picture of the quilt when I get the border fabric attached, just know it was not my choosing!

DIL has also asked me to make quilts for Kailey's new "big girl" bunkbeds :( . The quilt she loves is: http://www.etsy.com/listing/108408973/nautical-anchors-aweigh-sailing-pin-up?ref=sr_gallery_25&ga_search_query=anchor+quilt&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_page=2&ga_search_type=all OK I hate it! I did convince her to go with the same colors we used in Kailey's baby quilt so it will be a salmon pink, lime green and baby blue. Her baby quilt is here: http://forum.apqs.com/index.php?/topic/26298-kaileys-baby-quilt/page__hl__kailey Any ideas on how I can quilt this anchor quilt (2 of them) and make them cute?

No ideas, Heidi, but I feel your pain! I wasn't happy with the first fabric my DD chose for her baby so I know what you are going through. I tried as hard as I could to make her conform as a child, and she did so well back then, but now she just won't! :blush: I like Kailey's baby quilt. Hopefully these colors will give you enough pleasure to get the job done!

For Kailey's quilt can you do the etsy design in the first quilt colors and in the border corner blocks repeat the designs from the circles in the baby quilt? I think the colors will make a big difference, and when you quilt it you can quilt "girl waves" and other curvy fun designs.

For the new baby quilt, I don't have much idea. I know when I was asked to make the room quilt for my new grandson it had to all be dog theme. They picked out fabrics (I went shopping with them) and some of it is nothing that I would want to work with. My son liked a quilt on display so I figured it from a phone picture. It turned out alright, but not what I would choose. I just need to keep remembering that they are the parents or it is there house, and know that I don't have to live with those designs daily. Sometimes they do grow on you.

Hope it works quickly so you enjoy the process and results.

Heidi

I hope you get these quilts figured out by Christmas but if not dont forget Mary Jo's will have tons of fabric to choose from. Might want to wait for that trip to decide on fabrics.

Jeanne,

I'm definitely waiting for fabric for Kailey's quilts from Mary Jo's. I didn't get the blue there so that will be the one I'll have to try and match up. I actually ordered most of the originals from her but I figure I'll save on shipping and I just don't think I'll have time to get to them before them, besides I'm not motivated to get to them.

Anne Bright has some really cute baby quilting designs. I did an all over with her dolphins one time. If you go to her website annebright.com and do a search for fish, maybe the patterns will help get your mojo going, Heidi.

I like Joan's idea about the fish. Think of what you could do with colors and the scales. It might be the answer. Good idea Joan.

Archived