cotton thread tension

mdylke

I've had my Millennium for about 2 weeks now and love it. I've got quilt #5 loaded up. Quilts 1 to 4 were stitched with either the poly thread that came with the machine or Glide thread that I ordered - absolutely no problem. But with #5 I want to use some cotton thread that I have - it's "proper" quilting thread that I used on my previous machine so I know it works. But having trouble with the tension - I've loosened, tightened bobbin and top thread. The top thread keeps breaking. Any ideas out there?

Rather than looping the thread through the holes in the three hole guide, try weaving it through the holes.. down through one, up through one, down through the next. You might also want to try a bigger needle. What brand of thread are you using?

When the top threads breaks with cotton thread, the first thing to check is to see if it's strong enough to use on the longarm. Do a strength test by trying to break the thread. If it breaks easily you will never get a good result. If it's really hard or impossible to break, the next thing to looks at is where the thread breaks.

When it breaks while stitching, stop the machine and use the flywheel to raise the take-up lever to the top of the stroke. Take the end of the thread and gently bring it toward the needle. If the break is above the needle you may have a burr on one of the pigtails. If it breaks right at the needle you may have a burr on the needle--change it for another. If it breaks below the needle you make have a rough spot on the hole in the needle plate or a burr on the hook. All of these rough spots can be treated with various sandpapery things to smooth them. Check your manual for what to look for on the hook assembly--that one's tricky.

In any case, cotton thread loves Sewer's Aid. Slather it on--it keeps the thread from breaking.

Thanks all - will give all these ideas a work through - can't tonight though :( Xmas party. I'd rather be quilting! :)

Matt - if I can't get it going, will give you a call. All the promo material says it will sew with any thread and I'm stubborn, so it WILL sew with cotton thread! :)

Mary,

Cotton doesn't like a lot of tension. Start off to the side of the quilt if you can, and loosen the bobbin tension a LOT, until the bobbin drops about 8-10 inches or more. This will allow you to also loosen the top tension so it stops breaking. Loosen them both up and start with things "loosey goosey". Then start tightening the top tension about 1/4 turn at a time, testing things as you go. Keep tightening the top until your stitches look nice on top and bottom.

If you still can't get it to stop breaking, then take a look at the thread path. You may need to change how it passes through the 3-hole thread guide. Our normal "recommended" thread path has you bring the thread from the underside of each hole in the guide to give the thread a counter-clockwise twist (because with most cones it comes off clockwise). That straightens the thread as it meets the tensioner for even feeding and no twisting. However, you CAN tweak that thread path through the guide. You can try skipping the center hole. You can try "weaving" the thread through the guide instead of wrapping it around, too. As long as you use the last hole right next to the tensioner you can experiment with the guide to adjust how much "pre-tension" the thread has.

Let me know if I can help. Your machine should do fine with nearly any thread--the trick is loosening up that bobbin enough to give the top thread a chance to do its work, without having so much pressure on it. It also helps to keep cotton thread hydrated since dry winter air can hasten its deterioration. Sewer's aid is a product available in many sewing centers that lubricates the thread. Keep the thread in a sealed container away from UV or direct sunlight, as that also speeds up the aging process.

Matt's a wonderful resource too! Between all of us APQS friends we'll get you going. Hope your holiday party is fantastic!

Archived