Repro quilt with applique

Here's a link to a cute quilt. When my customer and I were discussing a design for the plain block all she said was she didn't want a feathered wreath. I suggested a flower that mimicked the ones in her border and she wasn't thrilled with that idea. I told her I would invent a design just for her. That's why she got not-quite-feathers-and-not-quite-flowers in the plain block. I think it matched the cheerfulness of the quilt nicely and she was very happy with it all. Thanks for looking!

http://www.flickr.co.../in/photostream

100_4053

I really like the quilting, just two blocks and two quilting ideas, and it looks so beautiful! Love your "made up" design. For the blocks with the triangles, did you use a ruler or is that all eyeballing it freehand?

Hi Bonnie. The corner-to-opposite-corner line in the white rectangles was marked with an arc template, but the whole block was continuously stitched. It made a nice secondary design and more interesting than just CC's from corner to corner.

Laura--the background filler for the applique (after outlining) was a medium/small swirl. I used all circle/swirl designs which seem to be liked by reproduction fabrics. Very cheery.

Ok, now Girlie! Did you make a stencil for the Circle Swirlies or what? And, how did you mark them on that white? Oh, Great One!

Hi Sylvia! I marked the center circle with a circle template and a purple marker. Then I used my drafting template with multi-sized circles to find one that fit around the center circle eight times--again lightly marked with purple. I stitched the center circle and then each arm out and back. It took longer to mark than to stitch.

Thanks for the nice comments. I'm so glad to be posting pictures again!

Hi Sylvia! I marked the center circle with a circle template and a purple marker. Then I used my drafting template with multi-sized circles to find one that fit around the center circle eight times--again lightly marked with purple. I stitched the center circle and then each arm out and back. It took longer to mark than to stitch.

Thanks for the nice comments. I'm so glad to be posting pictures again!

You are so clever! I ran out and bought one of those circle thingings when you posted about it last time but it just sits there, needing superior guidance of how to make it work. LOL

And if you had told me you did those triangles free-hand, I would have been so depressed as I can't imagine EVER being so good as to not use a template for that! We all know that you really ARE that good and probably COULD if you wanted ... :P but I had to ask. Thanks for sharing your secrets. I've learned a lot from you. :)

Archived