Cleaning old quilt with wool batting

quiltergirl

Guest Linda S

Does the owner know what type of wool batting was used in it? I use QD and Hobbs wool a lot and there aren't really any special needs to wash and dry it. I've always washed mine on warm and put it in the dryer on a lighter or casual setting. All has been well. Depending on the age, the wool might not be as stable as QD or Hobbs. If it is either of those, you should have no trouble.

I'd hand wash in the bathtub with a sheet under it so you can pick up the sheet rather than the quilt after washing it; roll up and squeeze out extra water. My washing machine has a super delicate cycle that I am not afraid to put my quilts through. I would not put this one in the dryer; however. I would love to see it when you have it done!

Are you sure it isn't an old wool blanket that was used as the batting? I'd be afraid of washing it unless the owner has washed it before. I'd definitely not agitate it and I wouldn't dry it in the dryer. Perhaps bathtub would be best. Let it drain and then roll in towels. Not sure how big it is and if that is even reasonable. If it is too big I'd spin it out in my washer. and then let it dry flat.

If it's hand carded wool, treat very gently unless you know that it has been washed before. My husbands Mom made us a hand carded, 2"thick wool quilt. and I now throw it in the washer on very gently, no agitation. But it's over 40 years old.!!!!!

I would get the owner of the quilt to clean it and then bring it back to you for repair, but the fabric etc may be frayed beyond repair. Who knows, Ours isn't quilted, but it is hand stitched in channels about 4" apart with a cheesecloth type muslin cover. and then the patchwork cover is on top of that. good luck with whatever you do. Marion in BC

Thanks to everyone who has replied. Heidi, it's not a wool blanket (altho I've heard of them being used) - I can see the batting in the area where I have to do the repair. Mestuart, good to know your 40+ year quilt makes it thru the gently cycle. And Lisa, your bathtub suggestion is where I was heading...unless someone told me not to. When I get it mended I will post its photo (if I can figure out how!) - it's a lovely Double Wedding Ring, with an unusual yellow backing and binding. I already found the Kona Solids yellow and have several pieces of repro flour sack fabric. I plan to "mark" the mended area with a piece of "doggy print" which blends into the rest of the fabrics. (Just as a reminder!) Once again, thanks to all - and if anyone else out there has input, please add! Ciao!

Archived