Who's MIA???

I am fine with the new Forum format, and appreciate all of the new options available.

I feel conflicted about whether or not to post photos of my work, since I am one of the veterans who has been long arming for 10 years. I still learn something new every day on the Forum. And, just because I've been quilting a long time doesn't mean I don't need support and want critique. To be honest, I feel very close to the people that post on this Forum -- they are some of the only people I know who 'get' what I have to say about quilting. I know this Forum has a reputation of having highly skilled quilters -- I see our work as a testament to the ease of control of our APQS machines,

Saying this goes hand in hand with wanting quilters at all levels of experience, including beginners, to feel comfortable posting. I try to include information on the techniques, batting and thread used in my posts to help others. Your, 'My First Quilt,' topic is a good one, Dawn. I suggest we go beyond that and add a sub-forum called, 'Just for Beginners.'. We could also have a 'Topic of the Week', such as beginning feathers, and ask people to post questions and helpful hints. I know everyone that posts is more than happy to help others the best they can.

Great idea Joan!!!!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the idea of a Forum for Beginners. I love reading about and looking at the beautiful quilting everyone is doing but I would like to know what other newbies are struggling with out there and what advice and suggestions you experienced could give. I hope to someday be good enough to quilt for others but I have yet to attempt a real quilt on my machine. Wishing I were nearer some of you great teachers to get lessons.

sandra Darlington is missing,

Is it Connie in VA that lived near the Quilters Dream Batting plant,

and wanted to move to be near family..

Tammy Grammie was absent a long time before the change..

Was she safe when they had the fires in CO last summer?

I think Meg from Michigan is absent, too.

Ann,

" I hope to someday be good enough to quilt for others but I have yet to attempt a real quilt on my machine. Wishing I were nearer some of you great teachers to get lessons."

I'm not new to quilting but very new to using a longarm. I made a personal commitment to do 4 "charity quilts" for a local Women's and Children's shelter and didn't feel ready for those. Growing very tired of putting another layer on and drawing blocks on blank fabric, I put on a vintage Christmas tablecloth that had a few faint gravy stains that wouldn't come out. I'm having a great time quilting around pine trees, Santa's sleigh... Don't care if it's not perfect because I'm doing it for the fun of it and matching my threads. It was a bit out of square, so I'm learning how keep it square as I go by not floating the top and keeping the sides lined up. Didn't know before hand what I could learn from this tablecloth. It's being good to me, teaching me bunches. Didn't plan on keeping it but I may keep it and stick a plate of cookies over the stains. It's cheerful and it will protect my table.

I'll post it on the "First Longarm" thread when it's finished.

Sylvia, I did the same thing! I had all my classmates from 35 years ago(!!!) on there as well as mere acquaintances, and the same old, same old connected, just like then. I figured I hadn't seen 95% of them since we graduated I surely didn't need them seeing my personal stuff! So out they and many others went, and now it's close family and some friends, just like I live! But I LOVE the forum because I can be in my jammies, in my home and learning and sharing so much! Whatever rings our bells is 'the good thing'.

Grammie Tammie is alive and well! This year she and her family opened a wonderful quilt shop up in the mountains south of Colorado Springs. Westcliffe is a charming little town nestled in a valley an surrounded by beautiful mountains. It takes me an hour to drive up there but her shop is well worth it. She also has a website: GrammieTammie.com.

I find that I don't post as much as I used to but I check in everyday. I hear from Bonnie Botts once in a while on FB too. I love the First Quilt and Beginners topic ideas. Though I've been longarming for about 5 years I still learn from this site and "re-learn" lots of things too.

Ann,

" I hope to someday be good enough to quilt for others but I have yet to attempt a real quilt on my machine. Wishing I were nearer some of you great teachers to get lessons."

I'm not new to quilting but very new to using a longarm. I made a personal commitment to do 4 "charity quilts" for a local Women's and Children's shelter and didn't feel ready for those. Growing very tired of putting another layer on and drawing blocks on blank fabric, I put on a vintage Christmas tablecloth that had a few faint gravy stains that wouldn't come out. I'm having a great time quilting around pine trees, Santa's sleigh... Don't care if it's not perfect because I'm doing it for the fun of it and matching my threads. It was a bit out of square, so I'm learning how keep it square as I go by not floating the top and keeping the sides lined up. Didn't know before hand what I could learn from this tablecloth. It's being good to me, teaching me bunches. Didn't plan on keeping it but I may keep it and stick a plate of cookies over the stains. It's cheerful and it will protect my table.

I'll post it on the "First Longarm" thread when it's finished.

I'm sending you lots of positive thoughts--you are doing exactly right! Loading some fabric where you can stitch around motifs and have fun is a fabulous step and you learn so fast how to move the machine where you want it to go! Bravo!

I have not checked out the forum for quite some time since the change. I Ike the old one better and don't do well with computer changes. I have a very hard time with technical things and am so busy that the effort seems too much. And I really don't like the tiny pictures!!! Anyway, I will check in from time to time but I don't know how to post pics so I prob won't do that any more. Maybe I should just take the time to learn, but man, when you don't have the aptitude for computers it just takes so longggg.

Sylvia, don't feel bad or mean. I hate Facebook, too, and wish I had never signed up. I refuse to post there or read there, and then my DH will tell me so and so in our family did this and I will ask how he knew that. Facebook! ARGH!!! There's just no getting away or hiding from the beast. LOL.

It took me a while to learn how to post a picture on both APQS forums, old and new. It's about as easy or hard on each one, mostly a matter of figuring out how to do it. I hope you come back and post more even if you don't do pictures!

I don't know if it is because I found that Microsoft Office Picture Manager is on my laptop or what, but I now find it immensely easier to post pictures on the new forum than I did on the old one. I used to have to take several steps to lower the file size, changing my resolution to a low setting before I took pictures to post (and then forget to put it back to high quality for family pics), and then messed around in my graphics program to lower the res more. Now it is so easy and quick to open a pic in MO Picture Manager and easily change it by percentages there. Maybe this is what others suggested in the past and I just didn't catch on that it was through MO, just glad I know now.

Sylvia, I deleted 50 Facebook friends and my kids said I was mean. I didn't know you could hide people and I really didn't know that hiding people was a much more friendly thing to do. Haha. I'm always a step behind.

I asked my DD if I could "unfriend" some people from my list without them knowing so they wouldn't be offended. She said I could, so I did ! I didn't really need to know as many details about their lives that they were sharing. Now I just have a couple close friends and a few family members. I get really tired of every online site I check out, there is the request to "friend them on Facebook". Enough already......... :blink:

I don't know if it is because I found that Microsoft Office Picture Manager is on my laptop or what, but I now find it immensely easier to post pictures on the new forum than I did on the old one. I used to have to take several steps to lower the file size, changing my resolution to a low setting before I took pictures to post (and then forget to put it back to high quality for family pics), and then messed around in my graphics program to lower the res more. Now it is so easy and quick to open a pic in MO Picture Manager and easily change it by percentages there. Maybe this is what others suggested in the past and I just didn't catch on that it was through MO, just glad I know now.

Hey Marci............I just went to look and I have Microsofe Office Picture Manager, too....... AND there are pictures already saved on there ! Didn't even know I had it. Now to learn to use it.........that could be another challenge......... :rolleyes:

I did it ! This is a picture of our family taken at Thanksgiving.

I just want to add that when I was new to longarming (wow, has it been almost 5 years?), this forum was my "go to" to ask questions, learn how to care for my machine, learn how to handle those "challenging" customers, and see the eye candy that inspired me so much. So to all the newbies out there who lurk....there is so much to learn on this forum, but please don't be afraid to participate, ask questions, and above all, post pictures! You will receive so much support here as we know what you went through to sew that first feather, etc...and we can appreciate it and the work you put into it. And just as there were those who encouraged us when we were new, now we "seasoned" quilters are here to encourage you!

thanks for the update on Duddlebug and everyone else. I am new to quilting(5 years and just 1 year with my own) I love seeing all the work that everyone does. It makes me go out and PPP. I can see that I am getting better with each quilt. Friends and family are getting lots of quilts :P

I totally agree I can get around on this new format and was willing to give it some time but just the look of it looks harsh. Does this sound weird but the other forum was cozy looking. Something I'm noticing or maybe i'm doing something wrong but I don't think the quilting pics are as clear. Really miss all the new pics of quilts and family. I haven't tried to post on this one I had just got the old one down and it changed LOL. :ph34r: Hello all !!! Yup ,I have been mia also ,just not the same ,I am slow to start with ,now I just feel like it takes me even longer plus I feel like I am somehow missing seeing quilts and didnt want ppl to think that I was just ignoring making comments on them because I learn from each and everyone I see ,you gals are the best !!! :wub:

Dawn, I haven't used this forum for several months. It has been hard to use for me. I do not like the stark white background color and the text color isn't bold enough (or large enough) to realy stand out. Many of us are older and don't have the vision we had when we were young. My vision is very much less these days than even 1 or 2 years ago. It is just hard to look at. Try a soft background color and a higher contrast text color. It would help me and I'm sure it would be better for many "older eyes".

Kay

Archived