In What Order do you Quilt Samplers?

I'm working on a sampler quilt and am doing SID on the blocks and will have to turn it to finish the border. I'm curious as to which order you'd quilt it in. Currently, I'm thinking of doing all the SID, finishing the bottom border and then turning it to work on the borders and the block fill.

Which order do you normally quilt samplers in?

Do whatever you need to do to stabilize the blocks and keep the seams straight--then quilt in whatever order seems most logical. There are so many ways to accomplish the same thing and I never seem to do it the same way twice! :rolleyes: Starting the top border is always a good idea--when the top advances you won't get creases like you do if it's just pinned down for later quilting.

When it's all stabilized, I look to see what makes the most sense. Usually I stitch the most/biggest area I can manage with one color thread. If I've decided I can quilt all the colored fabrics in the sampler blocks with tan thread, I'll do all the tan top to bottom. Then if there is background to fill or a second color to use, I'll start again and quilt top to bottom (or bottom to top).

If I'm using one color thread on everything, I stitch and finish each block as I go.

If there are applique blocks scattered among the sampler blocks, I often outline the applique and stitch all the background fill. Then stitch on the applique where necessary with invisible thread.

Then sashings and finally borders--especially if the quilt needs to be turned.

I bet you get lots of different answers and they're all correct!

I do it much like Linda. If I knew I had to turn the quilt for borders I would stitch the top border, SID pinning the side borders as I go, quilt the bottom border and turn. Then go in and fill it in. If I don't have to turn and I'm using the same color through-out I'd SID, quilt most of the block unless it was a really dense background fill, roll and go. I like to be done when I get to the bottom :) . Like I said if I'm going to do a really dense fill and I'm worried about distorting things I would do most of the quilting do the borders and then goin and do the dense fill. I might even do some of the fill as I go, just depends on the design.

Archived