NQR: Prayers to family of missing cousins - bodies found may be them

Heard earlier today that hunters found two bodies out in the woods and they think they are the two missing young girls from our area, Elizabeth Collins and Lyric Cook. They went missing in July after last being seen on their bikes, and their bikes were found by Meyer Lake later. They drained the lake to search for the girls, also, as seen in attached photos we took. Here is article on the update:

http://www.kwwl.com/story/20270787/2012/12/05/police-two-bodies-found-may-be-related-to-missing-cousins-case

Lyric is the same age as one of our grandchildren, and she and I have gone to a few of the numerous candlelight vigils held for them throughout the summer and fall. Our granddaughter has been wearing the bright pink t-shirts with their information on them at least once a week. Now our hearts are heavy that these may be the little girls that everyone has held out so much hope to be found alive, and how do we break this to her? She's written notes and left them at the vigils, as well as kept up on when new vigils were to be held. We've all held out hope so as not to have to think about the alternative..... please pray for their parents and families - I can only imagine what they are going through.

At one of the candlelight vigils held at Meyer Lake, one of the girls' cousins stated that 'Even though people say bad things about our family (one of the girls' parents have criminal drug backgrounds) we still miss our cousins and want them to come home...' Broke our hearts that such young children felt the judgement of others around them rather than the comfort and love they should have been feeling, regardless of the adults in their lives behaviors. So sad, especially this season of the year. God bless their families and hold them in his arms.

Heard this on the news earlier. So sad. Did you hear how far away from the location of their bikes they were found? It seemed they searched the area for days and didn't find a thing, but again in July, the vegetation would have been thicker and harder to see someone. Such a horrible thing to happen.

Linda, what we understand is they will not release that info yet. One of our DD and her DH live near there but hadn't seen anything today; however, they weren't looking either and the woods are thick around the area. I know we all wondered if they had been abducted could they have been taken immediately away as 20 is right there by the lake.

Elizabeth's mom confirmed on her FB page that these were her daughter and neice... the bodies were found 22 miles away, SW of Readlyn at Seven Bridges Park. It is an extremely thick timber area on the Wapsipinicon River - we camp near there but not there. But to know so many of us were so close yet had no idea.

My prayers continue for them as they get these hard updates and details.

If it does turn out to be those girls, at least there can be some closure for the families. But still not knowing WHO took them or WHY would haunt me. Was it someone they knew, a total stranger ? Hopefully, there will be some clues to lead them to the monster who did this. Our Granddaughters are that exact same age. Just gives me chills.

My teenage son came rushing in yesterday saying turn on the TV there is something about the girls. The outcome is so sad. It is a blessing to live in an area that so many people have come to care so much for two little girls whom they have never met. Prayers of comfort for their family and prayers as well that the person(s) responsible are found. So sad that we have always felt here in rural Iowa that our children are safe to be outside on their own, unfortunately the bad stuff of the world is showing up here too.

I too remember seeing those sweet little faces on TV with the caption, "Missing." How awful to imagine what they must have gone through. This, however, will be their first Christmas in Heaven and what a day that will be!!! Our Lord in all his Glory will see that their day is special. I will pray for the families.

How those families must hurt. Losing a child is something no parent should have to go.

The parents should die before a child in a perfect world.

Someone in the "perfect world" upset things a lot.

Prayers that wrap themselves around the families and hug them tight.

RitaR

At the 4pm press conference, even though forensics results are not in, they did confirm the bodies are of Lyric and Elizabeth. My 12 yo granddaughter is having such trouble with this, she isn't able to even comprehend this event. We've been snuggling and she's been asking questions and is just needing to feel safe and loved. We'll be going to the celebration of life services. My mind can only imagine what the mothers of these girls are going through. God bless all their family members.

I too was so sad to read about the bodies of these two precious little girls being found. As I am sure everyone held out hope that they would be found alive. so sad for the families especially at this time of year. I hope that those responsible for this horrific act will be found, hopefully there will be some clue found that will lead the police to be able to find the ones responsible.

Archived