FINISHED w/pics added...My Last "Rush" for the Year

I thought about McTavishing or pebbles or diagonal lines behind the roses. I thought about echoing the vine. I'm questioning my thoughts especially with those triangles whether to quilt them with the same treatment or just cc them. She wants the applique enchanced but not overpowered. Any suggestions? I'll be working all weekend on this one to get it done. Thanks!post-3924-0-38589800-1354885834_thumb.jpgpost-3924-0-20085300-1354885869_thumb.jpg

The customer loved it! Thanks for the suggestions!

post-3924-0-84044600-1355797232_thumb.jpg

post-3924-0-94042100-1355797267_thumb.jpg

post-3924-0-18171900-1355797297_thumb.jpg

I would McTavish behind the applique or even cross hatching or diagonal lines for a more traditonal looks. I would SID all that applique which will make it pop. I see your why you're questioning that middle border. I think I would treat the triangles as a separate treatment, mabye even just doing SID so that they can pop a little more and frame the quilt. I would probably SID the vine and flower and for the background area you could echo, McFeather, stipple, echoed curls, something that will push that background area back a bit and let the applique border pop out. The outside border I'd either feather or piano keys.

You could echo the large motif like you plan to do the vines. I love that look. I agree with Heidi for the sawtooth triangles--treat them as a separate unit so the quilting in the adjacent areas can be better planned. I don't know if an echo will work well on the vines, as I look at them closer--the leaves are scattered up to the seam and sometimes over it. I might look awkward no to be able to stitch an echo around them because there isn't space. So your favorite filler there might be a good thought.

They did away with webshots so that must be why the pictures aren't posting any more. :angry: I did find another picture of a block I did that had McFeathering in it. The behive sampler had some. There really isn't a right or wrong and eveybodys style will be different. In this one I tried to get some movement to signify the bees buzzing about so there are probably more feathers but really there are no rules. By the way not my idea at all, Jessica Gamez (Sp?) Deloa's daughter has some gorgeous McFeathering and you might search the archives for her samples, I know that was where I first saw it.

6933510863_560e3fc1ec.jpg

DSCN3882 by merrih2, on Flickr

Thanks for the picture and explanation, Heidi! I've been too busy quilting to get back to my post. Still have the inside of the 4 blocks to do (I remembered Heidi's advice to "pin the snot out of it" so I could get all the rest of it quilted first :P ...I usually quilt as I go, but changing threads spurred me to do it this way this time). I am not thrilled with my block design choice so I'm frogging. Been a long day......

• 2 weeks later...

Your stitching is so perfect, especially the start and ends of the diagonal lines..

The bead board is perfect for that border, and the mini stipling or pebbles on

the tan border with the vines and flowers applique on it.

Wonderful job, and congratulations!!!!!

Rita

What did you do on the triangles in sawtooth border?

The triangles that were the same material as the background behind the vine was stippled, and the rest were just stitched in the ditch. I'm so glad Heidi and Linda suggested the SID around them, and also for suggesting the stippling. When I think of "custom", I forget that smaller meandering (stippling) is acceptable, and it saved me a lot of time that I didn't have to spare doing something else more time consuming. I know custom can have meandering, but my customers have specified "no meandering" so much when they want custom that I just don't think about it when I think of custom. I used my Quiltazoid for the beadboard and the diagonals.

Thanks for the compliments! Is it so bad that it makes me feel good when a customer's eyes swell up with tears when they first see their quilts quilted? That's when mine usually swell up, too. ^_^:wub:

LibbyG, I'm sorry I'm just now seeing where I needed to answer your questions. The customer wanted bamboo blend batting so I used the bamboo batting from Pellon. I had a lot of fuzz from it, but it's nice and soft. I backtrack at the end of the diagonals. It would drive me nuts to have to tie off each one of those!

Cindy, it is the greatest when a customer sheds a tear or 2 from happiness!

I made 3 throws out of a father's clothes for his sons. The tears flowed!

I was also lucky enough to take in a special quilt after the March 2 tornadoes in Southern Indiana. The home was destroyed, and the elderly couple and their great grandson died. The daughter found the top in a field. Again, the tears flowed!

It lets us know we are doing a good job.

Archived