Help with ideas for center area of Christmas print quilt

I'm getting ready to start this quilt, and I don't understaind which area is the area to make 'pop' - the white areas or the colored? This Christmas print quilt is a first for me and not sure what to do in the twisted blocks. The blue quilt pictured is what I'm working on right now. I think I'm starting to understand how to pick design placement in borders (the blue quilt pictures) and the tumbling blocks will have cc's with a star design in the dark parts. But this Christmas one I'm afraid to start on because I think it's really pretty and want to make it as nice as I can for a gift. Ideas, please?

The blue tumbling block quilt pic wouldn't attach. I'll do that later.)

(

Hi, Marci,

I'd do a smallish fill in the white areas to push them back and make the colored blocks pop. Maybe ribbon candy or something like that. Then I'd quilt something simple like continuous curve or line dancing in the colored blocks. You didn't ask about the border, but I'd do a larger ribbon in the outer border since the fabric is pretty busy. I actually made a runner of this pattern many years ago, pre-longarm. It is also from Christmas fabrics. Can't wait to see what you do with it! ;)

As you get into this one I think you'll realize that the white is gonna pop no matter what's quilted on it, because of the high contrast with the prints. I would opt for the same design in all blocks with a thread change--a Christmasy variegated or gold thread on the prints and white on the white. As for a quilting design, this type of piecing is perfect for CC's. You'll be able to do continuous stitching all across two rows with some planning--all on the prints. Then you can either advance and stitch all the prints at once or stop, change thread, and stitch the white.

If you look at one block, you can CC the outside seams all around and on your last stop at the closest inside intersection, sneak in and stitch a four-petal on the short horizontal and vertical seams. If each block gets the same design those four-petals will be very attractive. And all with just simple CC's. I find this type of repetition of stitching calms busy piecing and I really like the finished look. Another thought--stitch the surrounding brownish border before the white strip with the exact same design. The inside piecing will still look like it floats, you won't need to figure another way to quilt those odd shapes and there will be a unity of design.

Gosh--I'm wordy today!

Did I mention how much I like that top? It's great! :P

A question for Linda R re: her design suggestions:

I have 2 twister tops to quilt, one for me & one for charity. I'm a novice so while I understand how to cc & go to the center to do the petal, I'm not sure what you mean by a four petal. Is it simply a cc on the 4 short seams or some other petal shape into the block piece? Thanks.

Linda

A question for Linda R re: her design suggestions:

I have 2 twister tops to quilt, one for me & one for charity. I'm a novice so while I understand how to cc & go to the center to do the petal, I'm not sure what you mean by a four petal. Is it simply a cc on the 4 short seams or some other petal shape into the block piece? Thanks.

Linda

Hi Linda--you're correct--the petals are the shapes formed by the CC's on the short seams. Sorry I wasn't clear on that.

You could start in the center of the twisted block and begin swirling out; as you get out toward the four arms, quilt a leaf and/or tendril in each arm space. I like texture, and would do as Lisa suggested, tamping down the white with some sort of meander, perhaps peacock feather meander. I would stitch the thin white border in the ditch, and then choose an easy border pattern, such as meandering leaves on both the outer and inner border. I would use either a gold colored thread or a variegated red and green thread.

8253980390_31c40351a1.jpg

TwistedBlockIdea by LadyLakeQuilting, on Flickr

Archived