I'm in my last week of treatment

Oma

Well, two more days of treatments...I'm almost counting the hours. You know it looks bad when even the doctor winces when he looks at it. I laughed at him and told him medical people aren't suppose to look surprised or say anything that could alarm the patient. I can't wait to start the healing process.

I managed to get the eight microwave bowl potholders finished for the staff that took care of me. Who would have thought it would be so hard? I was sneaky when I questioned them all on the colors in their kitchens except for Bryan and he's going to end up with the funny pigs because I couldn't think of a way to bring up the subject with him and I really like the pigs.

I'm off to find my recliner, quilt and cup of tea for the rest of the evening. I think I'm exhausted. I'm ready for that to end too although the doctor told me today that the burning process could continue for up to two weeks after the last treatment and the exhaustion could last up to a year. WHAT???? No way! I'll be the exception. I'll take it easy until after the holidays then I have stuff I want to do.

I've been teaching my 18 year old grandson how to cook over the phone. I bought him a really nice set of pots and pans for Christmas. He got them yesterday so as he walked through the grocery store I told him what he needed to pick up for the dinner he wanted to make. He wanted pork chops with mushroom gravy and white rice. When he got back to his apartment I told him how to season his pans then make his dinner. He sent me a picture and it looked really good. He did well. I'm very impressed with him. Also, he just got his grades from his first semester of college and his gpa is 4.175. Yay for him!

8296329533_866cc85fbc.jpg

DSCF5498 by mikenoma, on Flickr

Oma,

I have a pretty good idea of what you are going through. At the end of my radiation treatments I had burns and blisters pretty much all over my chest, and I also developed mouth sores that made it difficult to speak clearly. Luckily for me, I just celebrated the 20th anniversary of my surgery. I hope and pray that you will also have a 20th that will allow you to look back on this painful time through the haze of years.

You are fighting the good fight to have the most normal life you can, and I honor your bravery and spunk.

Archived