whitepinesquilter

Newbie Project - Bowl Holders (thanks for idea, Oma!)

First off, I want to thank OMA for mentioning these bowl holders in a previous post. I've finished two dozen bowl holders for Christmas gifts, and got to thinking that these would be perfect projects for the beginning longarmer to practice on. I must admit, however, that calling them 'bowl holders' is difficult for me - when showing them to my DH I keep calling them boulder holders - it just comes out that way - and these ain't those! So I've started calling them as bowl cozies.... much more fitting :P

I used up most of my batting scraps and many small pieces of fabrics I had around. I cut my 12" squares before quilting but you wouldn't need to. I've included a pic of pieces on the frame just for new LA'ers reference. There is no backing loaded, just the cotton batting and fabric squares on top. I did simple meanders for the quilting, but you could practice any technique you want. Btw, some of the fabric here is left over from some UFO log cabin place mats my mother started back in the 80's which I finished for her while out there this fall. So she will be tickled to find matching bowl cozies under her tree. Very easy to quilt, very easy to put together. And the finished project is so useful!

A865FFE96B99D13D2E3C09AF2B8376EA.png
2009 Freedom, and a 1989 Ulti I w/Intellistitch

I've made half a dozen of them and they worked out great. I did not quilt mine though. I had to trim the batting out in the darts or it would have been way too think in that area. I used the potatoe batting, really just thicker warm and natural. I want to get some regular warm and natural and see if I like that thickness better. I don't have any 100% cotton in my stash. I have lots of wool scraps but not sure that would work for the microwave. It is a natural fiber so maybe it would. I love them being called bowl cozies Marci!

Wow...this is great. Aren't they just the best little things? I laugh about what your husband called them. I threatened to make a "boulder holder? for my left one so they would stop burning it in treatment. Then I thought they would be a great way to hold the bandage on. Silly I know. I thought they were the most appropriate gift to give four people who spent seven weeks burning me...lol. Everyone I have made them for have loved them. They are absolutely the best thing for under your soup bowl or any bowl you have to heat up.

D92090BC49E8C634FED9A5815EF5ABB3.png

Serendipity: The discovery of something wonderful quite by accident while looking for something quite different.

You place your bowl into one and put it in the microwave...then when you take it out you just hold it under the "bowl potholder" and you don't get burned. You can then eat right out of your bowl without being burned. They're great! Especially for the kids.

I bought the instructions, but they are online too. I'll post the past thread that tells you where to find them.

http://forum.apqs.com/index.php?/topic/30927-little-accomplishments/

One important thing is they use a special batting. The kind you use for the "tater bags". I heard people are using plain W&N, but I used the recommended one. I feel better about it. I doubt that it really makes any difference because I can't imagine leaving it in the microwave for more than 3-5 minutes anyway.

Serendipity: The discovery of something wonderful quite by accident while looking for something quite different.

I never thought to do make these on the long arm, great idea, Marci! Thanks for sharing that! And LOVE the name, Bowl Cozies!!

I finished 12 more "bowl cozies" last night, have 16 more to go for the teachers at my husband's school, if I can get them all done. My hands are killing me from all the batting trimming with my heavy Gingher's, but I have three days left so crossing fingers!

Heidi, I used the select loft of Quilter's Dream and have been using them in the microwave to heat our soup. The select loft seems to do pretty well with our bowls that tend to get really hot in the microwave. I think this QD select is thinner than W&N so heat-wise the W&N should be fine I would think.

Does anyone know if the W&N will do okay in the microwave, no melting of the scrim? I opened a new batt of my last QD queen to make these and had tons of W&N scraps I could have used!

These are just the nicest little things to have in the kitchen! I used up many scraps of cotton batting that I had left. However, because I am curious, I did take a bunch of poly thread scraps, some 80/20 batting, and cotton fabric and placed the pile in the microwave for 3 minutes along with a bowl with some water in it. Took it all out and nothing had happened to any of the poly pieces, no odors, smells or fires :ph34r: . So I can't honestly say if it is a purist thing to only use cotton, but I choose to stay with the natural fabrics and batting for mine, but no specific brand. I did use up some that had scrim, and I tested it in the microwave, too, and it did fine. I used to make pizza pan hot pads out of poly/cotton fabric and poly batting, and they lasted longer than the pans.

Also, Bonnie, I didn't trim any batting other than when I cut the quilted squares away from the batting after unloading from the frame. Heidi mentioned she trimmed hers away at the darts, but she used a thicker batting. I left mine as-is and didn't have any issues. I also left the batting edge even with the fabric so when I turned the opening under I had a good firm edge to stitch closed.

Also, Bonnie, I didn't trim any batting other than when I cut the quilted squares away from the batting after unloading from the frame. Heidi mentioned she trimmed hers away at the darts, but she used a thicker batting. I left mine as-is and didn't have any issues. I also left the batting edge even with the fabric so when I turned the opening under I had a good firm edge to stitch closed.

I cut my batting the same size as the fabric too for the same reason. It just lays better. I like a 10" square for the bowls I used. Mostly because I cut everything using my AccuQuilt Studio cutter, however they are pretty simple to cut with a ruler too. I cut my darts down the middle and opened them so they weren't so thick. Some of the earlier ones I trimmed the dart down to a little under a quarter of an inch and some I put one dart one way and the other dart the other way like you put seams when you want them to match up. All the ways worked fine. I think I preferred cutting them open and laying them flat. I haven't put any on the LA to quilt because I didn't quilt them. I sewed a line from side to side and one from corner to corner and said it was enough...which it was. On the later ones I made I put an extra batting cut into a circle(using a CD as a template)on one side before I sewed the seams I just mentioned. It's just a little more padding for your hand when you are holding the bowl. I can't really tell the difference.

Marci and Oma, the first few that I made i didn't cut the batting back close to to the seams on all four sides, though I did trim away the extra batting in the darts. My machine had a little bit tougher of a time using my #5 Bernina foot when I didn't trim the batting back on the sides so I guess I will stick with doing that, but I'm going to try the method of not cutting out the darts and see if I can eliminate that step. Every little bit counts when it comes to saving the hands! I would switch out to a different machine but I have hauled it into the living room so I can keep DH company at night and get them done and watch TV at the same time ... is that considered multi-tasking? LOL

I'm going to make some large ones, too, so when I nuke raw veggies in the microwave I can use a bigger bowl. These are just the neatest things to have on hand.

I used the same size batting square too but after I sewed the 1/4" around I trimmed it down to the seam line. I'll try pressing the dart open. I need to go get more 100% cotton batting. I only have poly and wool on hand. Anybody ever try wool? I have lots of 12" scraps of that.

I used the same size batting square too but after I sewed the 1/4" around I trimmed it down to the seam line. I'll try pressing the dart open. I need to go get more 100% cotton batting. I only have poly and wool on hand. Anybody ever try wool? I have lots of 12" scraps of that.

I just tested wool in the microwave, and it worked fine - didn't start on fire, didn't felt up, didn't scorch or stink. I tried a piece folded inside some cotton fabric for 3.5 minutes - came out fine. I tried the piece all alone laying inside the microwave for 1 minute and it, too, worked fine. Beyond this test I don't know a lot about wool batting. I only have a small batt because it was given to me, and I haven't used it. So, Heidi, I think my unscientific testing confirms it should work well :)

Thanks for the test Marci and I don't know why I didn't think to do that! LOL I'll give it another test too and see how they come out. I'd love to find a use for them. I keep a little around for those extra long quilts that might need it but it always seems that I have a little left over. Wool is a natual product so I would think it would be fine. I don't think there is any scrim or glues used in it. I'll read what QD has to say about it.

Well see what you miss when you aren't present with this family for weeks at a time? My goodness these sound like such a great gift. So glad all the testing has been done already in regards to batting. I must make some of these. I am bound and determined to get a head start on next Christmas.

068AE7983835931B5513447E68ECA1B3.png

Bekah

Shepherd's Garden Quilting

APQS Sales Representative

APQS Millenium

www.shepherdsgardenquilting.com

I felt like something quick and fun this morning so I made a few of these.

They're easy peasy.

I made them as instructed, then I adjusted the darts to make a shallower version to fit my wider pasta bowls.

I'm just going to leave them in the microwave all the time.

I've already used one for my lunch!

Meg

"Do small things with great love." Mother Teresa

"Life's too short to fuss with thread." Meg Fazio

http://theonewiththreadsonherclothes.blogspot.com/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/megfazio