Giving it Away

A new customer called today saying that she wanted a quilt done just like I had done for a LQS. When I told her the fee, I knew I had "lost" her. Why do some think we should give away our skills, time etc? Rhetorical questions, I know, don't need to answer...I just needed to get it off my chest with a crew that will understand!

Well I wish my car repair man would "give it away." $944 to replace my fuel pump and that's not even why I took my car in yesterday :( $94 an hour plus parts plus $94 just to "diagnose" the problem that I didn't know I had. Can you imagine how much money we could make quilting at that rate? We can only dream! LOL

It's this exact thing that makes me glad I no longer quilt for customers. Don't get me wrong, I had some wonderful customers, including Lisa C before she bought her Millie! But I have had some doozies, too! Now I am glad I get to just quilt my own quilts and have fun. Those of you who quilt for others have my utmost respect! :D

"You quilt? Oh, that's a nice little hobby. My Gramma used to quilt."

"I love that quilt you brought to show at work. Could you make a quilt for me?"

"If I brought you some fabric would you make it into a quilt? My Auntie had boxes of fabric from the 70's stored in her garage. You could make me something from that."

Translation: I'm completely clueless not only about how a quilt is made but also about how much time, energy, talent, and money goes into making one.

My favorite? "I can buy a quilt at WallMart for $89 and that includes two pillowcases and a bed skirt. Why would you charge so much for one?"

My favorite answer? Because that China-made quilt is a decorative item. It won't last through two washings and then you can buy another. A real quilt will last until your grandkids are old and they realize what an heirloom it is--- and fight over it!

My favorate is," the quilter on the other side of town is doing any size quilt for x amout. Can't you do this custom 106 inch square for that?" I had 2 calls the first week of Dec. wanting prices for something done before Christmas but they needed to call the other place that wasn't open on Mondays before they would commit. If they had called back I was doubling my price for rush jobs. Most exasperating. 6 months till retirement . :)

I don't quilt for others; however, I do heavy textile repairs, zippers, etc. A friend of ours, who happened to do our bathroom remodel (and who we paid very well to do so), called and asked if I replaced zippers in his favorite hunting coat. I said I did and told him the price. He couldn't believe I would charge $25 for a zipper job. I told him what I would have to do to plus the cost of a new zipper and then asked him if he would come here and do some work for the hourly rate I would end up with if I did his coat. He laughed and said he wouldn't. Touche'

Charlotte,

Yup, I feel your frustration! I quoted a price for a custom job on a large Judy Neimeyer quilt. She was surprised, and called back later saying she could only afford less than half of that. :( I wrote a very professional e-mail with links to pictures of other quilts I had done for various prices, and a link to a picture of a Judy quilt with a panto, which was the price she wanted me to keep it to. That was 2 weeks ago, have not heard a word back from her.....:(

Ask the Judy N. quilter what she would sell just her top for without quilting and you can bet she give you a very worthy price due to the amount of money and time spent making it...................so why would you want anything less than the best on something you spent so much time and money on? It makes no sense to me!

I'm finishing a feathered star medallion quilt--gorgeous fabrics with a border stripe of roses on black. I had to almost coerce my customer into going for a 2 1/2 cents an inch treatment. She didn't want to invest any money in it at all. I should have offered to buy it unquilted! She knew it needed more than an overall and still resisted. Interestingly enough, she had me use wool batting. I don't get it sometimes.... :wacko:

I don't think people realize what the outcome will be when they have the quilt quilted with the right batting and the right pattern of quilting. Maybe they are either very frugal (did I say that nicely?) or they don't have the ability to see or imagine the possiblities or outcome after quilting.

I don't apologize for my rates. If they don't want to spend the money to have it quilted I tell them I completely understand but I have to charge for my time and thats the cost period. I won't be guilted into charging less anymore because it just isn't worth it. Luckily this is not my primary income so I refuse to let it become a frustrating job. It is so annoying to get those kinds of calls and that response. I think I'll put my husband on the phone next time, he is much better at putting people in their place when they make rediculous remarks like that.

There are two guys coming here tomorrow to hang a TV. They charge $65 an hour. Have you ever quilted for that much? Now, if I was strong enough I could hang the darned TV myself! But I can't. Can you see me standing in the store saying, "If you don't hang it quite so high will you do it for $45 an hour?" These cheepoes need to get a grip (a Christmas grip).

There are two guys coming here tomorrow to hang a TV. They charge $65 an hour. Have you ever quilted for that much? Now, if I was strong enough I could hang the darned TV myself! But I can't. Can you see me standing in the store saying, "If you don't hang it quite so high will you do it for $45 an hour?" These cheepoes need to get a grip (a Christmas grip).

Come on Sylvia I dare you to go to the store and say that! LOL cracking up just picturing it. Too funny.

Wow, after reading all of this I am hesitant to start my business.

Don't be afraid, Debbie! I've been in business since 2005 and do 80-100 customer quilts every year. Ninety nine percent of my customers are gracious, generous, and appreciate the job I do for them for the price I charge. Once a year I'll have a doozey pop up! Just as in every other part of your life, you'll run into people who speak before they think, or try to wheedle a bargain out of you, or realize if they complain about something they might get a discount. For these people, they have found techniques that have been successful and they're willing to try those techniques on everyone. Do not be afraid!! Be forewarned and fore-armed with neutral statements that show you are a professional. For example---

Her: "My other longarmer doesn't charge for thread." You: "Isn't it great that small businesses like mine are able to set their own rules and prices."

Her: "I thought there would be more quilting on this for the price you charged." You: "Well, let's look at the intake sheet. When you signed it you agreed to this medium overall design of leaves and swirls. Here on the back is where I demonstrated how far apart the stitching would be for this price-range."

Her: "Loretta Longarmer said she could quilt this one for $80." You: "Isn't that a great price. All I can say is she and I are not direct competitors. She does only two designs, both large overall designs. What we have discussed is nothing like what she offers."

Please notice I'm giving you the secret for non-confrontational interaction with difficult customers. The secret is to STOP TALKING. Don't explain. Don't complain. Don't share how/why you charge what you do--that's none of their business so just quote them a price and don't negotiate.

State the facts/ nothing personal/ all professional/ no negotiations (unless they want to step down the cost with an equal step down in the level of quilting.)

When you state the facts, STOP TALKING, You'll notice in the scenarios above, at no time do you say "I'm sorry." You don't elaborate or embellish. You don't say why you charge what you do. No mechanic, repair person, or professional ever has to justify what they charge. When you stop short of the explanation/justification the ball is in their court. Very seldom will they continue to press for a discount/freebie.

And if they do--do what I do. I call it the nod-and-ah. When someone presses for something you have already denied them, tilt your head to the side, nod slightly, and say "Ah". Or "Hmmm." Completely non-committal--just letting them know you've heard them. Don't say anything else. You will watch them become uncomfortable. Nod slightly again and make a little frown. If they continue to press, let them know you have done all the charity quilting you allow for the year and can't give any more discounts. Notice, no "I'm sorry"--just the facts. If they continue to press--even if they're your second customer and you don't know when a third might come along---tell them you two are "not a good fit". You "aren't comfortable" with giving discounts to some people when you can't offer them to all.

Long-winded--again! My apologies. Opps--never apologize!! :P

Linda gives great advice! Debbie, don't hesitate to start your own business, you will find your niche and you will develop a following of loyal customers. Just decide what you want to do that sets you apart from all of the others who long arm in your area and be the best in your niche! Always be confident and professional, your customers will love you and recommend you to others.

And that's my take in a nutshell! :)

Archived