ConnectiQuilts

Sharon and Devon from Prairie Quilt Mercantile in Airdrie, Alberta have started "ConnectiQuilts", a project to make quilts for the children and families at Sandy Hook. Please see their web http://www.pqmercantile.com/ for more information.

It also appears that Ty Pennington from Extreme Makeover (I think all titles are correct!) want to build a new school for them, that is circulating on Facebook.

I am the drop off point for Edmonton area and north, for the quilts, I wanted to share the information here, too. Please send this information to any quilters you know who may be interested.

Blessings of the Season to all,

Joanne Flamand (aka wannabelongarm)

Artistic Quilt Designs

My Guild, in conjunction with our LQS, made numerous quilts for the relief effort. I made a full-queen size quilt out of 12" squares of fabric ( Thimbleberries from my stash) and quilted it with a pretty floral panto and machine bound it with a feather stitch on my Bernina.

I don't know how many quilts were made, but I know there were a lot of people working on them, so I would think several dozen were completed. Quilters are such good people!

My favorite singing group, Celtic Thunder, performed in NY and donated all of the money to the relief effort. They also spent an afternoon working in the tents handing out blankets and food, etc to the victims and talking to them. Also, my favorite guy from the group, George Donaldson, performed on his own about a week later and donated all of his earnings to the relief. He did this when most of the singers and band already left the USA to return to Ireland for Christmas. He left a few days later to fly home to Glasgow. These are really great singers, performers and wonderful people.

I had some children quilts ready for donation, and thought about sending them out to Sandy Hook. I happened acrossed this website http://www.pta.org/parents/content.cfm?ItemNumber=3459 where it asks that only monetary donations be sent at this time, with the exception of the snowflakes. I do understand that thought process. The city of Des Moines received all kind of donations during and after the floods of 1993... but they were not equipped to destribute the donations for several weeks afterwards..... then they were begging anyone to come and get water ect.... just so they could clear out the semi's. I'll wait until they are equipped to deal with non monetary donations, and then send out my quilts.

Archived