Lenni - question about the brakes

I have been having problems with one of my brakes, the one on the take up bar. I isn't holding tight. Even when it is locked down tight I can pull the quilt sandwich back by just pushing on the quilt top with my hand.

Now in full disclosure..... I like a taunt quilt sandwich.... I have been told many times that it s to tight. And I am trying to retrain this old dog to do better.

I am heading out to the hardware store today to replace the washer, or what once was the washer. As I took the brake apart to take that washer with me to the hardware store, I noticed that the fuzzy material on the inside of the brake was completely worn away in the curve of the brake.

I know I saw a thread about the brakes, but I could not find it when I searched.

Is that fuzzy material velcro? I am really going to kick myself for fighting with the brakes for six months if it was something this easy to fix!

Thanks for any and all help!

Thanks everyone. Dear hubby came up and saw that I had the brake on the table ( I was going to take it with me to make sure I got the right width of velcro) he took one look at it and said. "Deb it hasn't worn away, it has just bunched up down here." Guess while I am training myself to not load the quilt top so taunt, I need to remind myself to wear my glasses. Anyway he took out his trusty pocket knife, seperated the bunched up part and now I have the velcro where it is suppose to be. He even had a washer out in the garage to replace the one I "krimped".

Brake is back together and this afternoon I think I will load a piece of muslin and play with a new pattern.

Thanks for the assistance!

Archived