NQR - Puppy Related. Question 4 U

I am looking for a designer puppy mixed with poodle. It needs to be a pup that won't get but about 6-7 pounds and has to be a female. If any of you in the South USA (within my driving area) knows of a breeder, would you give me their information. I would also consider a pup mixed with Maltise. As I get older I need something itty I can carry about. My two are getting old (13 and 10) and we may need some young blood around for good sugars!!!

Good luck on your puppy search. It is so much fun to fall in love with a new pet!

Speaking of puppies, my hubby and I were at the beach yesterday morning and there were two cute large puppies frolicking around. We noticed they did not seem to belong to anyone and were very friendly. I thought we should check back later in the day to see if they were still there. Sure enough they were there and so we gave them some water and brought them home. Our neighbor was kind enough to offer his large fenced in area to hold them over night.

Now, what to do...the puppies are so cute. They look like black labs with a white chest, both girls.

We have an indoor dog already, so these dogs would be kept outside.

Can you think of some good names for these two sisters?

How exciting to get a new puppy. My lab Brody just turned 4 yesterday but still acts and mostly bad just like a puppy. I got a laugh at my friend they adopted a 2 year spaniel mix and have been used to well behaved dogs well let me tell you she got a surprise. This little one is sorta a monster LOL. She tore all the older dogs presents to little pieces. My friend said it's a good thing she looks so darn cute. Good luck and hope you find a little one soon. Show us pic's please.

Anne, you are such a doll to have taken the pups with you. Back in 1989 I found a black and white small dog at my daughter's dance studio outside on a mat. I thought she belonged to the owner. The next day it started to rain and rain turned to ice. I called my sweet husband and had him take off work for a few hrs and drive over and see if she was still there (something just told me she would be). We took her home. She was a 10-12 week old Lhasa. We named her Happy and she was my best friend for more than 10 years when she died. I loved her like a child. She died in 2000 and I still cry about her from time to time. Someone will love those pups so good for you!!

Meg, thanks for the suggestions. I have spend more than 6 hours looking online already. Some of the home breeders are not on the net and are harder to find. I hate to have to drive to AK or Eastern TN to pick up a pup and I am afraid to fly one. Thanks.

Nancy, a few years back a family here got a beautiful Dachshund puppy. They left her in the bathroom when they went to work. When they came home she met them at the door. She had eaten her way through the bathroom door. That night she slept with them. She went under the covers to get warm and the next morning there was "snow" all over the room. She ate her way back out instead of crawling out from under the covers. Geez! They gave her away! Surprise for the new owners, huh?

How exciting! I have been ill so long with Lupus related stuff, my Freddie always carried me through my downsides. I had to put him down last year so he was sorely missed. Wish I had the forsight to do what you are doing. My beaytifyl daughter recognized the problem and brought patches to the rescue, the cutest little Shit Seu spelling bad he is so cute. I will look for your desigher breed in my area.

Ginny

Hi Sylvia, I have a red toy poodle female that is 5.5 pounds. We got her from a breeder in the Orlando area. When we had packers at our house for a move, I wore her in a sling so she wouldn't get stepped on! We also trained her to ring a bell to tell us she had to go outside. My DH thought I was insane when I brought the "Poochie Bells" home. They work though! They are better than having the dog scratch the door.

Michelle

Sylvia--Please proceed with care when pet shopping on the internet. Many "puppy mills" use sites that look like individual breeders. Puppy mill dogs can have health and temperment issues, and their parents are likely not as well treated as you would like. Also check your local shelters and "poodle rescue" groups. There will be many Christmas puppies looking for new homes in the next few months as the reality of dog ownership sets in. BTW, I have been amazed to see the new popularity of designer dogs has resulted in many popular poodle mixes being more expensive than purebred poodles. If you are concerned that toy poodles have a reputation for being yippy, consider a small miniature poodle (poodle sizes--toy, miniature, and standard--are determined by height, not weight). I have a miniature poodle who was the runt of his litter. At about 8.5 to 9 pounds, he is certainly small enough to carry around when I am so inclined, and he seems to be a little mellower than a toy poodle.

Happy parenthood! Cynthia

Thanks Cynthia for reminding me of the puppy mills. I try to be very careful to get a pup from someone who loves and cares for their animals but I know there are unkind people out there. I believe the rave on designer pups is a result of us who have been hit with huge vet bills. My Lhasa has cost me more that $3800 in surgeries that have been caused by the genetics in her breed. Both her hips had to be replaced! Now, my Pap has been healthy so, go figure. I want to break the bloodline to try to get a less hybrid and perhaps healthier breed. I do love the idea of Shelter dogs but I need to better predict how large the pup will get and temperment. I will try several designer breeds and am in no hurry as it is easier for me to potty train in the spring and summer here. If any of you have more suggestions, just keep them coming as I am all ears. Liam suggested a Teddy Bear and they are so darned cute until I can't stand it!!!!!!!

Hey Sylvia,

My cousin gave his daughter a pomeranian puppy for Christmas. He's the cutest little thing. Devon named him Romeo. My cousin said little Romeo should not get any bigger than 6 lbs. I'd be happy to ask where he was raised. I don't know if the breeder has other breeds or just the pomeranians. I'd love to have one of the little stinkers, but we don't want to get attached to another pet. It was very painful when our last dear baby passed on.

I have a maltese/papillon mix - 5 1/2 lbs. I found him through the local internet newspaper classified adds - very cute picture and just had to go see him. I saw the mom but never the dad. He has quite the personality and is perfect for traveling - fits right under the seat on the plane - he loves airports and traveling.

Here's my little guy at the beach - wears little goggles to keep the sand out of his eyes. He is so little that when the sand blows it can easily get in his eyes and could cause some real problems - our vet recommended the "doggles".

post-3022-0-34518200-1356926100_thumb.jpg

I have 4 chihuahuas, the largest is 4 lbs and the smallest is 2 lbs 5 ozs. They are 6 years old and just a bunch of snuggle bugs. I don't breed them, but they are like peanuts or chocolate, you just can't have one:>) I did find a good breeder, but there are so many dogs in shelters that need good homes. The next pup I get (and not for a few years) will be from a shelter.

If I can figure out how to post a picture, I will.

I know where you could get a FREE pup...Maltese,Chihuahua , Pom cross...but they are in Bend Oregon. However, she does have two that look just like Chihuahua (one blond and one black with tan), two that are all white like a Maltese and two that are a combination.

Adopting a new puppy is exciting and fun, and then they are so much work! :P I wish you well in your quest for a new baby to love. I am attaching a picture of Pancho and Sadie, our kids, as we call them. They were only 4 months old when you saw them, and they are over year old now. Pancho is 10 pounds, Sadie is 5 pounds and they are Havanese. When I started searching for a breed I did a search for dogs that do not shed and was amazed at how many I had never heard of. Enjoy the search and I know that the new fur baby that you choose will be loved and have a very happy home. :)

post-3802-0-05423900-1356996892_thumb.jpg

Meg, that is the cutest darned thing!!!!! And goggles!!! Your baby looks a lot like my Champ but without the glasses.

Carmen, those babies have grown so big!!!! I could eat them up. Come see me again this year and bring both of them. You and Mike can stay here!

Laura, I'd love to visit Bend OR for about a week or so and come home with a baby but I don't think Mike will go for it! Ha! I told him we such just take a vacation and pick up a sweetie while we were out!

I love my Bichons. They are the funniest little girls, but they are between 12 and 14 pounds so a little big for packing around very far. They are spoiled rotten. They love to sleep at the back of my machine on the table when I am doing a panto or using the Circle Lord. Good luck in your search.

Liam love your dogs and Meg your little one is just too cute.

Sylvia, good luck in your search for the right pup for you. When DH and I were first married we had a toy poodle. His name was Gorgie and he weighed 4 lbs. I could tuck him under my arm he was so tiny. He lived a good long life and I miss him to this day. Yorkiepoos are really cute. The pomeranian and poodle mixes are cute, too. Heck, they're all cute! Our lovely westies caught a mouse in the back yard today and brought it to the back door...they were so proud of themselves...the poor little thing didn't have a chance! Sure glad they didn't catch anything bigger than a mouse!

Archived