How to quilt wide, busy border?

Hi,

This black cardinal border is about 8 1/2" wide and I'm not sure how to quilt it. The gold/black borders on each side of it are about 4" wide and I'm doing feathers on each of them. This wide border is so busy I'm not sure what to do.

The white portion on the bottom is the start of stack n whack and I've found some great suggestions on this site for that area.

Any ideas for this busy, wide border is appreciated!! Thanks in advance!

Now - let's see if the picture will post . . .

Might be too small??

post-4461-0-91090100-1356885455_thumb.jpg

Hi, Pat,

I'd be inclined to use the fabric as your guide...quilt around the cardinals, pine cones, leaves. You could do some sort of meander between the designs. Use any thread that would blend, maybe black or even monofilament if you are comfortable with it. The rest of the quilt looks pretty, too. Can't wait to see what you do.

Thank you for everyone's great advice! This reinforces some ideas I had in mind. I'll play around now that I know I'm headed in the right direction.

You all are so wonderful - it's like having a team of experts on hand! You dont' know how many times I poke around this forum and learn from each of you. Your wealth of knowledge is priceless!

Thank you!!

Archived